I just got three issues in the mail. I bought a book last month, and had a year free subscription thing I sent in. All I have to say is thank god I didn't pay for this piece of a shit magazine. Besides all of the political articles from the idiot Tim Dickinson, the rest of the content isn't much better. I totally wasn't expecting a magazine filled with 15 page long rants, and a majority of the pages pandering to mainstream monotonous music.
Their political writing is one of Rolling Stone's only redeeming features. What did you expect anyway?
Last edited by blackflag49 at Jun 14, 2011,
Their political writing is one of Rolling Stone's only redeeming features.

Their political articles are based on the most hypocritical, biased misinformation you can find. Even if they were 100000% right, it has no place in a music magazine. What a complete joke Rolling Stone Magazine is.

What did you expect anyway?

Oh gee, I don't know...how about a magazine that is focused on music? I'm seriously just going to tell them to stop sending it to me. I didn't pay for it, so all well.
Last edited by bryceh12321 at Jun 14, 2011,
shite
Quote by Thrill-house
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.

Quote by Dopemgs

P.S: You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome

Quote by PsiGuy60
PS. To Conor:
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.
[/desperateattempttogetsigged]
I like Rolling Stone magazine and how they mostly talk about mainstream rock n roll. If I wanted to read about more obscure bands in a super sub-genre, then I'd just, well, actually I don't wanna hear about them. I like Rolling Stone magazine enough to read them at the stands but not enough to buy them and take them home.
In my opinion I think its a pile of wank, its a music magazine for people who dont understand music
Quote by hriday_hazarika
I've never come across a music magazine that I've completely enjoyed.

Neither will you.

I think I can say I completely enjoy GuitarWorld, so you are wrong.
Quote by bryceh12321
I think I can say I completely enjoy GuitarWorld, so you are wrong.

Well, of course you're gonna say that.

I bet you don't enjoy the prices and stuff.

There must be something.

OT: I do have a few issues of Rolling Stone. They're OK, nothing special.
No love for Classic Rock magazine? Metal Hammer?
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by bryceh12321
Their political articles are based on the most hypocritical, biased misinformation you can find. Even if they were 100000% right, it has no place in a music magazine. What a complete joke Rolling Stone Magazine is.

Oh gee, I don't know...how about a magazine that is focused on music? I'm seriously just going to tell them to stop sending it to me. I didn't pay for it, so all well.

It sounds like this is your own fault for not realizing they've covered politics and culture in addition to music since their inception decades ago. Ever heard of Hunter S. Thompson? And you're wrong anyway. Their political writing is one of their few redeeming features at this point, as the music is all Top 40 stuff, and the fact they recently had "Snooki" on the cover tells you all you need to know about the cultural aspect now. But Matt Taibbi's articles on the financial crisis and how the banking industry works in general are some of the best reporting on those topics around.
Last edited by blackflag49 at Jun 14, 2011,
Never held one. In fact, I've never held a guitar magazine in my hands before. So yeah

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by bryceh12321
Their political articles are based on the most hypocritical, biased misinformation you can find. Even if they were 100000% right, it has no place in a music magazine. What a complete joke Rolling Stone Magazine is
LOL, u serious?

Rolling Stone is a magazine with history. It's been around since Sgt Peppers, so their story runs parallel with that of rock music. When the magazine was launched being vocal about politics (even if you weren't clever enough) was considered an essential part of "being rock & roll" so it didn't seem to bother too many people: most conservatives didn't care for that "****** hippie music" anyway

The thing is tho: rock and roll as we knew it is dead, so now the magazine has kinda shifted towards the Jersey Shore-watching generation (you could compare it with SNL). This has kinda taken the edge out of the whole thing, but every once in a while there's a few decent articles in there (I remember reading a great 12-page article about James Brown, right after he passed away). You'd be an idiot to subscribe tho, 'cos a lot of the good stuff is available on their site for free anyways

In a way they're kinda like MTV: it's never been the BEST place to learn about music, but they weren't half bad back in them days -> some notable writers have worked for that mag through the years. But like most music papers it's also a lifestyle magazine, so I don't think you would've been a fan anyways (even if you'd been born like 40 years earlier)

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Kerrang! is where it's at. Hardly ever a bad mag. I always look online for previews on the day of release, and there is mostly always something to read. Even if there isn't, it's still a fun read.

Never read any other besides Spin (I only got it from America for the Paramore special thing) and Rock Sound (again, for Paramore). Those magazines didn't have ANYTHING else (as far as I can remember) besides Paramore, while Kerrang! always has at least something to read .
This will start a RIOT! in me
gay!

terrorizer and metal hammer is where it's at. Decibel is a fun toilet read sometimes too, almost as good as Vogue one must say.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Quote by bryceh12321
Thank god I still have guitar world!

Yeah! You get to read about the same three guitar players every month! Eddie Van Halen, Zakk Wylde, and Dimebag Darrell!

And on the off chance they cover someone else, it's some shitty metal band that I don't care about whatsoever.

Mojo magazine for the win.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Jun 14, 2011,
^

I like reading about the shitty metal bands, even though I never heard of most of them.

Guitar World can be a little lame sometimes, but they do have some good articles. And I am a huge Zakk fan anyway.
Quote by TomusAM
^

I like reading about the shitty metal bands, even though I never heard of most of them.

Guitar World can be a little lame sometimes, but they do have some good articles. And I am a huge Zakk fan anyway.

You know that equipment of the month section they do? It's always so disappointing. It's like.. a guy with one or two pedals on his board next to his setlist. They need to put a man's board on there and dissect it for me.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Never read one but their lists seem to pop up online every day, it seems kinda shitty to me.
Quote by Paramore.
Kerrang! is where it's at. Hardly ever a bad mag.

you're probably not even joking
I get Rolling Stone because I got a framed cover and it came with a free year subscription, similar with your situation.

I'd never pay for it. Every other issue has that asshole Lil Wayne on the front and I proceed to throw it away,
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
The political stuff is interesting.

Other than that, 90% of the music based articles and reviews prove continuously they have no knowledge of music, whatsoever.

It's basically hispter garbage.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
The guy who said Kerrang reminded me about Alternative Press. I haven't actually read a copy or even gone to their site, but they've featured a couple of bands I like, so they could be okay.
pretty sure they just give 3.5 stars to everything that isn't way past their prime, in which case they give it 5 stars.
Hasn't some of their articles won Pulitzer Prizes and stuff like that? And wasn't it a Rolling Stone article that got McChrystal removed from command in Afghanistan?

So yeah. Guitar World!
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
There's usually one or two really interesting articles per issue. There was a recent one on Roger Ailes that I read all the way through, and lets not forgetThis and all the stories like it.

Their political reporting does tend to focus solely on American issues though. I don't think I read a word on Egypt/Libya/etc in there.

They also don't generally have good articles on current artists. There are a few, but they're rare. I didn't see the word "dubstep" in there until this year, and it was only once. I have discovered some good up and coming bands in it, however. They had a feature on MGMT a few months before they got big. There's also a pretty heavy focus on the music industry in there, which gets repetitive since it's always the saw few issues, and it doesn't change much from month to month.

The good music journalism in there is almost all in the articles about older classic artists. It's the reason I'm a fan of Kris Kristofferson, and Bo Diddley among many others. There are also great articles like "The Devil and Ginger Baker" a while back
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
I'll buy it if a band I really like is on the cover (which is almost never).

It's pretty shitty generally.
People still read magazines?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by iantheman
and lets not forgetThis and all the stories like it.

What. The. Fuck. Did I just see...
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by NosralTserrof
What. The. Fuck. Did I just see...

A gem of investigative journalism.

...Also some pretty graphic and provocative images.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne