I've been wondering, how often should one tune their guitar normally? (Obviously you'd always do it before a performance or whatever but I mean, how long should it stay in tune when you're not using it?)

I'd also like to know what's the main factors determining how long a guitar string can keep in tune (temperature/humidity/strings/tuners)?

Because here's the thing, I have to tune mine pretty much every day... my strings aren't new anymore (I do keep it a generic fabric case rather than an actual case, though... I don't have humidity problems in here, it spent 6 years stored in that and there's not a crack on it)

When I started using it again after several years in... February or March, can't recall... I bought and replaced the tuning pegs and strings. At that point I bought cheap tuners since I figured they'd be okay for the use I give this thing and since it's a cheap classical, either way... I could always buy the better ones later.

I've also noticed another thing that gets my attention... whether the guitar as a whole is out of tune or not, the G string is out of tune 95% of the time I check and I have a real hard time tuning it... the peg feels lose when I try turning it (cannot be fastened with a screwdriver, I tried) and sometimes small turns affect tension very little while sometimes you can actually hear the string snap and there's a pretty big change in tension.

That last bit I figure is not normal (any suggestions as to how I could fix it?), what about the rest and having to tune it every single day?
I tune it once I get the feeling it's badly out of tune. Most of the time I just retune the strings I feel are off according to the other strings, but that can mean the whole guitar is a little bit off.

I only put my guitars in they're case when I need to move them around, otherwise they're just in a stand.

It all depends on how much you play it and what kind of strings you use.
Fender Jazzmaster
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Martin OM-1 (acoustic)
I don't really play that much... I can't usually play everyday, assume for argument's sake I play between 3 and 4 days a week. Some days I play more than once and when I do it's usually for 30 min to a couple hours...

I use D'addario Pro·Arté normal tension nylons...
If possible, tighten the screw on the tuners, that way they might stay in tune more.
Did you ever try to stretch the strings? It helps to keep the strings to stay in tune faster (or so I've been told), maybe it can also help to keep'em more in tune after a while?
Fender Jazzmaster
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Martin OM-1 (acoustic)
Indeed I tried stretching them (they''re a few months old now, anyway) and I tried tightening the screws on the tuners, it was my knee-jerk reaction but they couldn't be tightened any further, really...
I tune relatively to each string, every time I play. I make a rough guess at the low E, and tune from there. My guitar keeps pretty good tune anyway, as I keep it in a hardcase at all times, when not playing it, and keep it well humidified.
I used to do it by ear and relative to each string but since I got an iPhone, I'm lazy and use the tuner...

The high and low E don't get out of tune much, though, so I could still tune from those in a hurry...
A lot depends on the environment you keep the instrument in. If there are considerable changes in humidity and temperature, you can expect fluctuations in tuning.
I generally put the tuner on mine whenever I pick it up, it's quick and easy.

Some folks are more fanatical about tuning than others, to the point where it will affect their performance. Stopping in the middle of a song to tweak a single string a tiny bit is just annoying to the audience.
Of course, if the the whole thing goes South and even the audience can hear....

Rest assured that almost no one you're playing for will be able to hear tiny discrepancies in tuning.
I tune my guitar every time I play it. It's not really nessasary but it's a habit.
i tune my guitars when they're out of tune.

just because you've never had a guitar crack doesn't mean it's being kept at the right humidity. the humidity varies greatly pretty much everywhere. the humidity where you are could change from say 30% to 75% regularly, and while it wouldn't be high or low enough to cause major problems, it will make your guitar swell and shrink regularly. as mentioned, your tuners could be loose and need to be tightened. also you could have crappy tuners, or even good tuners with rubber bushings that have dried up that would cause you to need to tune often.

one last thought - some gigbags have enough contact with the tuners to turn them slightly when the bag is carried. my yamaha beater has this situation.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Oh, just a note... Some tuning machines are equipped with a tension screw which can adjust the percieved ease of turning the knob. However, on many tuners, this screw does absolutely nothing but hold the knob in place, and attempting to tighten it further can cause it to strip....
Also, on adjustable models, this has no effect whatever on the instrument's staying in tune.
The leverage of the string tension against the gears in the tuner is hugely in favor of the tuner... That tension adjustment just affects how easy it is to turn the knob, and this can be of use against accidental changes as Patti notes.
If a small turn of the tuner makes a snapping sound and causes a large change of pitch then maybe your nut sucks. I tune when the guitar goes out of tune, which, barring accidental contact of some kind, happens maybe twice a month. And I play almost every day.
Last edited by Spud Spudly at Jun 15, 2011,
Quote by Spud Spudly
maybe your nut sucks.

Could very well be. I'm not discarding anything yet.

Still, this only happens rarely and on some strings (like, I turn and turn and there's minuscule changes if anything and suddenly SNAP, huge change)

I've got a classical guitar, which parts can I replace other than the strings, tuners/pegs? Can I replace the nut and if so, how do I do it?
You can almost certainly replace the nut, but I wouldn't do it myself. First I'd bring it to a pro who can tell you what the problem really is.
just a thought, but are you stringing it correctly? If wrapped around the machine heads right it will stay in tune pretty much forever.
Check out "thelastplaceyoulook" on YouTube, iTunes and [url="http://facebook.com/thelastplaceyoulook
"]Facebook
not necessarily, although mine stay in tune for ages. some guitars have crappy tuners while others are carried in gigbags that contact and move the tuning pegs when carried.

Quote by 1500 meanstreak
just a thought, but are you stringing it correctly? If wrapped around the machine heads right it will stay in tune pretty much forever.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by MeTallIcA313
I tune my guitar every time I play it. It's not really nessasary but it's a habit.

HMMMM that's funny I never tune any of my guitars after they're locked down.

Then again I use gold set of these on my acoustic

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/sperzel-33-trim-lok-tuning-machines
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Quote by 1500 meanstreak

I'm pretty sure I put them right. In fact, at first I'd done it wrong on a few strings... I noticed and did it again...