I am currently thinking of buying my first bass and bass amp and I would be very interested in some bassist advice.
The bass and amp I would like need to be able to give me quite a versatile sound because I play anything from rock to metal including punk and the occasional RHCP funk riffs. I'm not really willing to spend more that 500$ maximum on the gear as this will be my first bass although I've been playing it for a year. I'm also pretty familiar with strings, having played guitar for 5 years.

I've already tried Squier's jazz bass but I have to admit the Ibanez SR's really tempt me and people have been telling me about Cort's quality...
As for the amp, I don't have much of an idea on what to get, perhaps a Fender ?

Alright, I guess I've said it all so I hope you can provide me recommendations on possible alternatives and/or a confirmation that my first ideas would meet my expectations.
Thanks for the help!
500 Zimbabwe dollars? They're not worth a lot these days.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I know you mentioned it, but Squier VM Jazz Bass is the way to go.
Mainly because there's the Duncan designed pickups and the wood is maple unlike most basses in the ~$300 range which use Alder or Basswood.

Ibanez's are usually lighter than a squier/fender and their frets are normal sized, whereas the Squier/Fenders are heavier and have Large to Medium-Jumbo sized frets.
Ibanez is usually always good. You might even be able to get a used ATK pretty cheap (they seem to be pretty popular on this forum.) As for amp, go with Peavey or Acoustic, cheap and good quality.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
I am really not an Ibanez fan so I would say go for the Squier. Everything Ibanez has been coming out with lately just seems bland to me, both tonally and aesthetically.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
I bought a Washburn T24 for my first bass. It seems like it can play a lot of different genres I can get a good punk sound. You can find one used for around $300 maybe less. As for an amp the Acoustic B200 is a popular choice around here.
I also go with the Squier VM Jazz with the maple body.
That is just an awesome bass for the money.

Tabdog
Thanx a lot but are the squiers jb really superior to ibanez in every way or can I still get a correct ibanez which I find more suitable for me especially because of the weight (the jazzbass make me feel like im gonna fall sideways)...?
Quote by consecutive e
500 Zimbabwe dollars? They're not worth a lot these days.

Oh yeah and Zimbabwe Dollars where abandoned two years ago
Quote by guitarfrenchie
Thanx a lot but are the squiers jb really superior to ibanez in every way or can I still get a correct ibanez which I find more suitable for me especially because of the weight (the jazzbass make me feel like im gonna fall sideways)...?

Well, if the Squier basses are too heavy, you might as well get Ibanez's since their lighter.

Quality & sound wise, Squier VM Jazz > Any Ibanez until you reach the $500's.