Budget? - Around £750 (~$1200) for a head, would prefer 100w as they have headroom+more features in general. Can possibly go to £1000 (~$1600) at the furthest stretch.

Genres? - From Blues to Hard Rock, think Thin Lizzy, Cream, GNR, Sabbath, Randy Rhoads era Ozzy, Whitesnake, Rainbow, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd. Decent cleans are nice, but I really want the British distortion sound - Similar to Marshalls but not necessarily a Marshall.

New or Used? - Don't mind either. If used gets me a better/more suitable amp then that's great

Home or Gig? - Both Home and gigging with band. Doesn't have to have a master volume as long an attenuator can be used. Master Volume preferred though.

Closest City? - Birmingham, UK. Plenty of guitar shops. Can test any major brand but not any boutique brands as many are American made, ie Metro amps.

Current Gear? - Gibson Les Paul Custom 68RI, Epiphone G400, and unfortunately a Line6 Spider 3 30w combo

Features? -Preferably at least two channels, willing to look at single channel ie 100WSLP Marshall (or clones of that)

Looked at the Marshall Vintage Modern, Blackstar Stage 100 (bit worried it's not all tube), possibly a Marshall SLP100w. Also looked at Laney. Prefer the Marshall sound. Liked the Marshall JVM410h a lot and is within price range when bought used. Would the Blackstar Series 100EL34 be good?

Thanks, don't worry about a cab, that can be sorted a lot easier.
laneys would prolly be worth a look... vh100r or something like that.

your budget's kind of just below the really badass stuff... btw, is that budget for the head alone? if so then you might get lucky and be able to look at some nicer stuff...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
laneys would prolly be worth a look... vh100r or something like that.

your budget's kind of just below the really badass stuff... btw, is that budget for the head alone? if so then you might get lucky and be able to look at some nicer stuff...

Yeah, that's just for the head. I was worried that a 59SLP wouldn't get the high gain things like GNR and Whitesnake, and I really liked the JVM410h when I tried it so I'll probably end up with that. Depends on how the equivalent Blackstar and Laney Amps compete really.

I'm not sure that the JVM can do the blues-rcok based stuff eg Cream where as I konw the Vintage Modern can. Then again can that do the high gain.

I basically want a JVM410 with a SLP channel

I know the guitar I've got is the right guitar though, maybe add a Fender 60 CS Strat Relic in for the Pink Floyd, Hendrix, Deep Purple stuff.
fwiw i liked the jvm's lower gain tones more than its higher gain. I mean it can get pretty high gain but if that's your main concern there are better amps for that (IMO). i liked it as a "cover most marshall bases" kind of amp, but at the same time I didn't like it enough to really seriously consider buying it either.

oh engl blackmore would be another one to look at.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
fwiw i liked the jvm's lower gain tones more than its higher gain. I mean it can get pretty high gain but if that's your main concern there are better amps for that (IMO). i liked it as a "cover most marshall bases" kind of amp, but at the same time I didn't like it enough to really seriously consider buying it either.

I might look. I like his tone a lot more from when he used the Marshall Superleads. I really think I might just get one of those with a Master Volume mod, seems like it'll suit that style best.

Would the Marshall AFD or the new Yngwie models get the sound I'm looking for?
The AFD seems to have the right tone...
haven't tried them...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've just been on YouTube and watched various videos of SuperLeads and compared them with other amps and they really do come into thier own. I'll try one and see if I can get it to clean up well with the neck pick-up. Hopefully I can find one with a Master Volume mod already within my price range.

I still like the JVM a lot though so that will still have to be revisited a long with a couple of others. Might get a small pratice amp to replace the Spider at some point. Maybe a Class 5 with Master Volume/Blackstar HT series.
If you can locate one, check into a used Bogner Shiva EL34 head.

As you mentioned, it is similar to Marshalls but not necessarily a Marshall.
You're not going to find a used bogner shive for 750 quid man.. Going rate i've seen on guitarguitar and other shops used is £1500ish... maybe slightly less on ebay but i dont think it'll go under 1000 anyway..
Quote by coolstoryangus
You're not going to find a used bogner shive for 750 quid man.. Going rate i've seen on guitarguitar and other shops used is £1500ish... maybe slightly less on ebay but i dont think it'll go under 1000 anyway..

I got lucky and found a used Shiva 1x12 Combo for $1300, but I know prices are different across the pond.
Quote by Dave_Mc

+1. I'm always surprised at how versatile that amp is, it's as sweet as a nut. Try around though, don't forget there are always pedals available to shape your tone into exactly what you want.
Quote by coolstoryangus

+1

nice amp, but yeah, if you find one for £750 it's your lucky day, i'd have thought (or a scam).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Saw the new thread and I reckon I'm gonna try and get a 59 SLP of some form and have some mods done to it.