Hello!

I am about to get some recording gear to record vocals and acoustic guitar. But since I'm a beginner when it comes to recording I was wondering what equipments you guys would recommend for someone who is going to record "folk" music (i.e Bob Dylan etc)?

Sound quality is important to me, but my budget is around $430.

I've been looking at these two:

M-Audio Fast Track Pro

&

Audio Technica AT2020

Would this combo be a good one, and how good will the sound quality be?

I am greatful for all advices!
Either get an interface for your computer and go that route or buy a mixer and record straight to tape. Either way you'll need a microphone - a decent condenser microphone would do for both the guitar and the vocals.
That will definitely get the job done. Quality will be good, but your technique will probably need some work when you first start out, so dont credit a poor recording to your gear.

I would, however, suggest a better mic since you have the money. The interface should run you $200ish new, and factor in a cable and mic stand, and you have roughly $200 left. I would use every penny of that on a mic so that you get the best possible quality. I hear good things about the NT1A. I, personally, am a fan of the Bluebird. The AT4040 is also good if you cant get either of the other two. For the Blue and AT, you'll have to look used.
Quote by sandyman323
That will definitely get the job done. Quality will be good, but your technique will probably need some work when you first start out, so dont credit a poor recording to your gear.

I would, however, suggest a better mic since you have the money. The interface should run you $200ish new, and factor in a cable and mic stand, and you have roughly $200 left. I would use every penny of that on a mic so that you get the best possible quality. I hear good things about the NT1A. I, personally, am a fan of the Bluebird. The AT4040 is also good if you cant get either of the other two. For the Blue and AT, you'll have to look used.

Would you say that the sound quality, with a bit of mixing, would sound close enough to something professionally recorded? With the AT2020 I mean?

And does the NT1A suit well to record acoustic guitar aswell? Maybe it's a bad question, forgive me.

And thanks for the reply!
Quote by andyscoot
Depends what you mean by professionally recorded.

Well, if you listen to any random mp3 track from a musician who publishes albums "professionally". Maybe the question is badly put(?)...
Yeah, i'm wanting actual examples of quality, not just the word repeated. Do you mean (to use your example) sounding similar to a Bob Dylan record?
Quote by andyscoot
Yeah, i'm wanting actual examples of quality, not just the word repeated. Do you mean (to use your example) sounding similar to a Bob Dylan record?

Yes, something like that.
The NT1-A is a fine microphone, I used it for the majority of songs in my profile. I simply connect it to a preamp (with 48v of phantom power) and then to my laptop microphone input. Works great for me
You're not going to get that level of recording with that gear. But you will be able to get a good quality recording from a decent microphone/interface. There is a reason Studios cost as much as they do
Quote by HighDef
Would you say that the sound quality, with a bit of mixing, would sound close enough to something professionally recorded? With the AT2020 I mean?

And does the NT1A suit well to record acoustic guitar aswell? Maybe it's a bad question, forgive me.

And thanks for the reply!

For the money, you're not going to get a whole lot better (besides a better mic...). You have to start somewhere and that is definitely a solid setup to start with. You'll probably be happy with the quality you'll be able to get with a little practice.
The NT1A is a good one for recording Acoustic Guitar/Vocals on a budget. I've used it before on both and it's always come out very well. Also with the AT2020 you'd have to get a shock mount as well as pop filter if you're going to record vocals, so it adds up, whereas the NT1A comes with a shock mount and pop filter as well as a Free XLR Cable and 10 years warranty so can't go wrong really.

As well as good budget equipment i'd focus on microphone placement and EQing. My favourite place for Acoustic Guitar to be mic'd is around the 12th fret as it gives a good overall sound and it's not too boomy either. For vocals it's 5 - 8 inches from the singer using a pop filter in a sound proofed vocal booth. But these are just my preferences .

Also with the Fast Track Pro i'd recommend it. I've been using mine for about 8 months now and it's been great, very useful and not failed on me once.

And what Andyscoot said is exactly right, theres a reason that stuff costs loads.
Last edited by Afroboy267 at Jun 14, 2011,