I have been playing for nearly 2 years and am hooked. I have just bought a Taylor 814CE and am looking to amplify it for plying at home and in small venues. I have been looking at an AER Alpha 40W amp and a Boss RC 20XL loop station. Will these do the trick? I want to buy quality but do not want to "overpower" everything and blow the wax out of the wife's ears!
If I were you I would check out the Fender Acoustasonic Amps (prices shown are MSRP not retail) ... I've heard a lot of good things about them. Better quality for less money. They also have built in effects though I don't think they have a looper but still a better deal, you could buy your loop pedal and still come out better IMO.

For what you were going to pay you could get the largest one (same price) that would kill the amp you were looking at:

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-acoustasonic-sfx-ii-acoustic-guitar-combo-amp

Look each of them up on Musician's Friend and read the reviews people are writing about them to get an idea of what you need. Good Luck!
Last edited by ryevick at Jun 14, 2011,
That's really helpful. As said, I want to buy quality but there is no ned to haemorrhage money if I don't have to. I want quality of sound over volume so. I shall check out the kit you suggest and make a decision soon!
Quote by Egg Head 161
That's really helpful. As said, I want to buy quality but there is no ned to haemorrhage money if I don't have to. I want quality of sound over volume so. I shall check out the kit you suggest and make a decision soon!

That's good. I think you will be much happier with one of these Fenders... the smallest or middle one would be best for you I think.
I would also compare the Boss looper with Digitech... they have several.
Quote by ryevick
I would also compare the Boss looper with Digitech... they have several.

For loopers, Boss is the way to go, IMHO.
Superior quality in every aspect: soundwise, reliability, construction...
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
For loopers, Boss is the way to go, IMHO.
Superior quality in every aspect: soundwise, reliability, construction...

For effects Boss is better than Digitech I agree... but looping is not really an "effect" IMHO... that's why I suggest comparing the two. Digitech has a lot of loop storage options I know, which may be useful to a solo artist but I have not compared the two myself and the Boss may indeed be the better choice.

For the amp though the Fenders I mentioned for sure.