Page 1 of 4
Basically I told my parents I want to move to san fransisco which Im going to do, but my parents got pissed basically and keep telling me i wont make it and they are asking what I want to go for (music) but I feel they will basically lose all support for me unless i stay in my shitty town get a house get married and make a shitload of money in life. Which i dont want to i want enough just to get by live in sunshine in san fransisco do music and art even if i dont make it big. Should I just tell them or wait till Im going to move to tell them?
Gonna make the mountains be my home....

"A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through"-Robert Hunter
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by ripdime04
Basically I told my parents I want to move to san fransisco which Im going to do, but my parents got pissed basically and keep telling me i wont make it and they are asking what I want to go for (music) but I feel they will basically lose all support for me unless i stay in my shitty town get a house get married and make a shitload of money in life. Which i dont want to i want enough just to get by live in sunshine in san fransisco do music and art even if i dont make it big. Should I just tell them or wait till Im going to move to tell them?

I'd say it now. If you are truly set on doing this, it's likely they may warm up to it more over time. My parents were pissed when I told them I was going to study music instead of science. They wouldn't let me, but I told them that I was doing it with or without their permission. Eventually, they understood that it was what I wanted to do and now they're fine with it. Don't leave it 'til the last minute though. It's not a good idea. I know from experience, trust me.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
Maybe they know San Francisco's too expensive of a place for you.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Just go and find out if they're right. Things sound really awesome until you're alone with no money and a pissed off family.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I'm going to assume you live with them now?

If that's the case, I've found parents tend to be more accepting of your choices the further away from them you are. It'll be uncomfortable as hell during the transition, but they'll probably chill out about it once you actually do it.
Do you have a job lined up? You do know that SF is really, really expensive for housing right? We don't need any more bums out here so if you plan on coming out and busking and bumming to make it, just stay away. There are some jobs here, do you have much work experience? If not, you won't be making much more than $10 or $11 dollars an hour, which will make it tough to afford that $900 studio in the ghetto.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
listen to your parents
Quote by Thrill-house
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.

Quote by Dopemgs

P.S: You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome

Quote by PsiGuy60
PS. To Conor:
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.
[/desperateattempttogetsigged]
...and the music scene here isn't all that great, bands routinely work for free beer and tips.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
Quote by ecvMatt
Do you have a job lined up? You do know that SF is really, really expensive for housing right? We don't need any more bums out here so if you plan on coming out and busking and bumming to make it, just stay away. There are some jobs here, do you have much work experience? If not, you won't be making much more than $10 or $11 dollars an hour, which will make it tough to afford that $900 studio in the ghetto.

This.

TS, listen to your parents, they know better than you do.
@ all the "listen to ur parents!" comments.

You're an adult. If you want to move to another city, then move to another city.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by BladeSlinger
Just go and find out if they're right. Things sound really awesome until you're alone with no money and a pissed off family.

This
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by ripdime04

Dilemma over. Good job.
Dude consider options closer to you. According to your profile you live in Massachusetts. Why not head on over to Boston. I hear they have a good music scene too. Then if you're making enough money to travel, head on over to San Francisco and check it out.

Unless you are really lucky or rich, you have to take baby steps.
Pittsburgh is also a valid option. It's basically like the east coast San Fran, minus the proximity to the beach. Gotta go to Jersey for that. Good music scene here as well, plus it's pretty cheap here.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
aim for the moon. that way, even if you miss, you'll end up hitting the stars or some empty dark shitty matter.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
You should tell them you want to move there because you're gay, and SF is the gay capital of the world. See how well that goes down.

Ok, I'm not actually being serious. But see? Things can always be worse.
No i havent told them, and the aprtment i looked at is 725$ a month plus electricity and ill rarely use it...I understand there point, totally, but its what i want to do in the next year and there really upset, they dont really realize that ive grown up, i mean my brother is 20 and they havent said anything about moving out to him...I just dont want to be like that, I want to get out there man

im 17 in a half, graduate from highschool next year, im looking to move spetmeber-nov of 2012 next year

If you don't work on your English, you won't make it far. You'll have to get a job and to get a job you need to correctly fill out an application.

If you want to, do it. It's your life. If you end up homeless or something it's on you, if not then awesome.

EDIT: You're ****ing 17. I doubt you'll last long.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Dude, do what makes YOU happy. You'll waste years away thinking 'what if I had just moved out' if you stay. Go, and if it isnt what you wanted then hold your head up high, return home and let your parents know that they were right all along. Just dont be miserable thinking 'what if'. Please, risk it. Life's no fun playing it safe all the time worrying about possible dreadful outcomes.
Last edited by demon.guitarist at Jun 14, 2011,
^^this is what exactly im saying, im just nervous to tell them, i feel itll tear what we have left a relationship, im doin it either way, but thanks man i wish more people saw things like that demon

Quote by demon.guitarist
Dude, do what makes YOU happy. You'll waste years away thinking 'what if I had just moved out' if you stay. Go, and if it isnt what you wanted then hold your head up high, return home and let your parents know that they were right all along. Just dont be miserable thinking 'what if'. Please, risk it. Life's no fun playing it safe all the time worrying about possible dreadful outcomes.

Yes but I don't see the point of taking certain risks that thousands of people have taken and only a few actually made something out of it.

It's like people feel the need to try something themselves when a bunch have already tried it and concluded it was a waste of time.

All I'm saying is you can make the most out of your situation if you use your head a little.
Quote by ripdime04
^^this is what exactly im saying, im just nervous to tell them, i feel itll tear what we have left a relationship, im doin it either way, but thanks man i wish more people saw things like that demon

No worries man. It will be tough, but try and make the best of every situation and you'll stand every chance of coming out on top in the end and people will respect you for doing what you did. Takes some balls dude!

As mentioned, let the idea sink into your parents that this is really what you want to do - they might warm to it over time.
Quote by ripdime04

17 is pretty young man, i dunno what to say. I

m 20 and still live at home mainly because its so expensive to rent places now.
Quote by metaldud536
Yes but I don't see the point of taking certain risks that thousands of people have taken and only a few actually made something out of it.

It's like people feel the need to try something themselves when a bunch have already tried it and concluded it was a waste of time.

All I'm saying is you can make the most out of your situation if you use your head a little.

http://www.randompics.net/?p=4043

(not a meme)
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by metaldud536

I agree with that to an extent - but why live off other peoples experiences when yours stands a chance of being something completely different? You never really know until you try it yourself.

TS, just make sure that you have somewhere to go back to - dont sever ties with your family completely.
Quote by robhc
You should tell them you want to move there because you're gay, and SF is the gay capital of the world. See how well that goes down.

Ok, I'm not actually being serious. But see? Things can always be worse.

How is being gay worse?
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
I know what exactly you're saying dude, and I'm behind you 100%, but San Fran IS really expensive. Keep following your dreams, but maybe not move into a big town like that dude.

EDIT: And to all of you guys who are saying "You'll never make it", or
Quote by BladeSlinger
EDIT: You're ****ing 17. I doubt you'll last long.

**** you guys. If dude wants to try to take a gamble and reep the rewards of saying he did it, then more power to him. People like you are the reason people fail, because they're afraid to try.

And to BladeSlinger, a quick fyi:

James Hetfield of Metallica was 18 when their first CD was released
Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day was 18 when their first CD was released (Say what you will about their music, you cannot deny they are successful)
Bono of U2 was 18 when their first CD was released
Paul McCartney of The Beatles was 18 when their first CD was released

Just to name a few.
Rojam's new and improved band!!!!

Listen a little bit, we DON'T suck!
Last edited by Rojam at Jun 14, 2011,
If you mooch off your parents, then don't tell them. You'll come off as some lazy hippie that happens to live in the house free of charge.

If you at least have a job and seem like a productive member of society, go ahead and tell them. They'll eventually realize that you are at least responsible and working hard enough to maybe actually have a chance of making something out of yourself.

Think about this a lot. It may sound good on paper, but unless you are making more than enough money to have some left over at the end of the month, you won't be able to do much aside from playing music. I got some buddies that moved out when they were 20. Now they only have enough cash to pay the bills and go out every once in a while. They are never able to join me and other friends on trips to other states or anything like that because they don't have enough money to leave town for a few days. If you have it all planned out and this sounds fine with you, go ahead and move out if that's what wold truly make you happy
Last edited by sticksause at Jun 14, 2011,
Quote by demon.guitarist
I agree with that to an extent - but why live off other peoples experiences when yours stands a chance of being something completely different? You never really know until you try it yourself.

TS, just make sure that you have somewhere to go back to - dont sever ties with your family completely.

Right but TS is 17. I doubt he has enough to even travel there at the moment. He should work full time for a year and then head on over there.

Again I'm not saying he shouldn't do it but to avoid putting yourself in stupid situations because you didn't think things through.
Page 1 of 4