The title says it all. I want to understand how guitar scales work (to use in shredding-Malmsteen). But I don't really understand why the C minor scale (for example) is the way it is.

And I want to know how to play them anywhere on the freatboard.
Take a trip over to Musician Talk and read the stickies there. There's plenty of info for you to get started on. I'd recommend learning the Major Scale, and I mean really learning it. Not just memorizing the fretboard patterns. Learn the intervals, what they sound like in comparison to the root note, why they sound that way, etc. Then move into harmonizing the major scale and understand how chords are constructed from a scale. Do this for all keys, paying attention to sharps/flats and memorizing your key signatures. The major scale has so much information that it really takes a lot of time and dedication to mastering it, but it will help out with all aspects of your playing.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Hot Sale for WOW Gold and powerleveling service.Buy WOW Gold with30%-50% lower price.Wow gold delivered within 15 Mins and 24/7 customer service. Buy cheap World of game4power.Leading wow power level service. cheap WOW GoldBuyCheap WOW Goldfast wow powerleveling from .Welcome to Vip . One of the World'slargestcompanyforWarhammerGold,Warhammeronlinegold.World of Warcraft Gold Instant Delivery is ready for you guys!
^reported
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food