Page 1 of 2
Just got some photos from my Dad that were taken about 35 years ago. Me from 6th Grade with my Les Paul Custom at a couple different school music functions. Yes, I used to play the drums as well.

Circa 1975:

Quote by fly135
Wow'n the chicks with your geetar. Cool pic! Do you still have your Gibby?

Very sadly I do not. It was sold off during a part of my life when I was no longer playing guitar.
Cool pics!
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
in the 6th grade? A Les Paul?

You dick... Rubbing it in our faces...

Just kidding, cool as hell!!! Interesting binding on the paul.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by fly135
Wow'n the chicks with your geetar. Cool pic! Do you still have your Gibby?

Quote by thehikingdude
Very sadly I do not. It was sold off during a part of my life when I was no longer playing guitar.

How about the girl, do you still have her
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
Quote by Reincaster
in the 6th grade? A Les Paul?

You dick... Rubbing it in our faces...

Just kidding, cool as hell!!! Interesting binding on the paul.

My Dad was concerned that I might scratch the back, so he put a piece of black crushed velvet on it. Then he decided to take it a step further and covered the entire body with it. What you see on the edges was some sort of gold-colored sewn fabric which was glued to the edges of the velvet. Below the bridge was a white fabric anchor, yes I said anchor. Before it was all done there were also a few small white stars on it. Very 70's look to it. I'm hoping that my Dad finds more pics of it. If you are wondering how the velvet was affixed, he used double sided carpet tape. At one point he customized another LP by request for a local musician, don't remember who. Damn I miss that guitar!!!!
Quote by thehikingdude
Well at least you were playing back then. Unfortunately I waited until I was 50 to start. Better late than never.
Quote by ecvMatt
How about the girl, do you still have her

My fiance was asking me a similar question, but she's long gone. Moved two-thousand miles away in 1980, never to be seen again.
I like the fabric stitching. Looks like a custom binding.

Looking at old pictures always makes me happy about the state of the modern glasses frames market.
cool

pics are kinda weird. almost fake looking. not saying they are, but what kind of treatment did he give those photos to make them look so 3D'ish?

i thought you were going to show us the guitar today and tell us some awesome story about how you decided to get back into guitar and you found it in the attic
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
cool

pics are kinda weird. almost fake looking. not saying they are, but what kind of treatment did he give those photos to make them look so 3D'ish?

i thought you were going to show us the guitar today and tell us some awesome story about how you decided to get back into guitar and you found it in the attic

Believe me, I wish I could say I found it in the attic. That would be like a dream come true.

Regarding the photos. All I know for sure is that they were scanned from slides and obviously had a soft focus filter applied to the second image. Beyond that I don't really know.
You big stud! Awesome ascot.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
The girl looks nice... but let's not forget the most important thing.
Stuff:
ESP/LTD EC-200QM (with SD Distortions)
1986 Charvel Model 4
2013 Ibanez RG7421WH

Amps
Marshall MS-2 microamp (a POS)
B-52 LG-100a head (Not bad)

Pedals
Digitech Grunge distortion
Quote by Seanthesheep
please explain how you owned a les paul custom in grade 6 please........

Let's just say that I started taking lessons when I was 7. Was in a band by the age of 10 (the other guys thought I was much older) and........
still, thats like a top of the line guitar, i know they didnt cost 4000$ back then but still thye prolly cost alot
Quote by Seanthesheep
still, thats like a top of the line guitar, i know they didnt cost 4000$ back then but still thye prolly cost alot

My parents bought it for me, I sure didn't have that kind of money back then!!!
Quote by Wisthekiller
You two looked like a really nerdy, really young White Stripes...

SEXY AS HELL GUITAR!

This was taken the year Jack White was born. Just a fun fact.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Last edited by Reincaster at Jun 14, 2011,
Me and my very first guitar, Univox Coily. Not nearly as sexy as the LP. I would have been 7 or 8 when this was taken. Nope, don't have it either. I did buy another one a few years back, but with a different finish.

Very cool pics, saw them over on mylespaul. Interesting about the velvet thing, seems like a strange idea :L
Quote by digman50
Very cool pics, saw them over on mylespaul. Interesting about the velvet thing, seems like a strange idea :L

I'd have to agree. Never seen anything like it before or since. It did keep it from getting any scratches, but the double sided tape left slight indentations in the finish. I doubt my Dad knew that was going to happen. Made for a cool look though, at least back in the 70's.
Quote by thehikingdude
Me and my very first guitar, Univox Coily. Not nearly as sexy as the LP. I would have been 7 or 8 when this was taken. Nope, don't have it either. I did buy another one a few years back, but with a different finish.

your little bro is jealous.

he wants the electric.

awesome pics!
My Dad has found more slides and scanned them in. Obviously taken before the velvet was applied. This one is from 1973, when I was at the age of 9.

^^Could you look more 70s there?
Very sexy guitar, can't believe you had a Gibson in 6th grade while I'm in year 10 (9th grade I think) and stuck with Epiphone!
do you know what year the LP is?

this is a 68 custom a friend of mine has. built in 67. so this is what your guitar may look like today, less the velvet.

I believe mine was a 72, but I don't know that for sure. The pic of me all pimped out was when I was in 4th grade.
did you ever notice any indication it was a pancake body? i think they were all pancakes then but it didn't become apparent until the finishes started to age a bit.

very cool pics. thank you for posting them, keep em coming if dad scans more.
Quote by gregs1020
did you ever notice any indication it was a pancake body? i think they were all pancakes then but it didn't become apparent until the finishes started to age a bit.

very cool pics. thank you for posting them, keep em coming if dad scans more.

I honestly have no idea, back then all I really knew was how to play. I was too young to even know what it meant to have a Les Paul, to me it was just a cool guitar. Plus it's been almost 30 years since it was sold, so my memory is a bit rusty.

Funny thing is, I still have that old guitar strap!!!
Last edited by thehikingdude at Jun 15, 2011,
Quote by thehikingdude
*the benefits of playing guitar*

Man, I gotta move farther up north. That rule doesn't apply down here
Page 1 of 2