I am really curious about the new James Hetfield signature set pick ups

Anyone got any experience?
They literally just came out. Like, I think today is the first day that you could order from MF or GC.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by NosralTserrof
They literally just came out. Like, I think today is the first day that you could order from MF or GC.

Really? I was wondering when they came out. I was just on EMG's site last night, and saw them.

Kinda weird to see active EMGs with pole pieces, but if that's what he wanted, that's what they'll give him. I think it's kinda funny, though, that he's the first person to get signature pickups and not just a signature set of regular EMGs, maybe with one of their preamps or EQs added.

I mean, he's pretty fucking famous and all, but you'd think someone else would've asked for custom-made pickups before him.
Quote by Holy Katana

I mean, he's pretty fucking famous and all, but you'd think someone else would've asked for custom-made pickups before him.

I imagine that other people have ordered custom pups from EMG before, but those weren't released to the public.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
im pretty sure the steve lukather music man guitars have his signature emgs in them that are only available through that guitar.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Holy Katana
Really? I was wondering when they came out. I was just on EMG's site last night, and saw them.

Kinda weird to see active EMGs with pole pieces, but if that's what he wanted, that's what they'll give him. I think it's kinda funny, though, that he's the first person to get signature pickups and not just a signature set of regular EMGs, maybe with one of their preamps or EQs added.

Well he's James Hetfield.

There are probably a lot of other custom EMG pickups out there used by other big guys. But they were kept custom, and not released to the public. But with this, we could probably expect more custom pickups in the near future.
Quote by InanezGuitars44
im pretty sure the steve lukather music man guitars have his signature emgs in them that are only available through that guitar.

Oh, right, he's got a custom set, too.

I guess they're like Ibanez in regards to customs. Except possibly even stricter, as Ibanez at least lets its lesser-known endorsees have slight modifications to their guitars from what I've heard (like having an RG or S with whatever pickups and/or color you want, etc).
sweet another set of over-priced emgs that can make your tone lifeless.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

As much as I agree, the 18V mod is supposed to help that a lot. They have those one-knob EQs, too, like the mid booster, that I'd assume would help warm them up a bit.

Plus, these are a little different than the other EMGs. They have pole pieces.

EDIT: I didn't realize EMG had gone completely solderless. When I got an 81 several years back, you still had to do a bit of soldering, although it was really basic.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Jul 1, 2011,
Hey I have a pole piece, but I'd still be horible at being a p/u!
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Some kid on youtube did a vid saying he had them installed. Sounded like trash.
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
Quote by bluekirby7
Some kid on youtube did a vid saying he had them installed. Sounded like trash.

Was he also 13 years old playing through his KICKASS SPIVER IV ON INSANE??!?!!
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku

In Line 6's defense, the Spider IV blows the previous models out of the water. But that's not saying much.
im sure they are gonna be bad ass, it kinda sucks cuz i just put some emgs in a guitar, then like a month later these came out and i was like damn...
i bet they're freakin sweet, even james himself said they didnt just slap his name on them and start selling them, they made a new pick up
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
Quote by Shinozoku

Oh is that what the noise was. I retract my last statement
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
Quote by InanezGuitars44

Nah, you can buy them separately. They're only the single coils anyway, the bridge pickup is a regular 85.

His new model (not out yet, its still sort of a prototype) has passive Dimarzio's And a solid rosewood neck. I will be buying one
I love the 81/60 combo, so if these are an improvement on that, I'm gonna get 'em.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause