Humble apologies if this is an already answered question, my searches revealed very little.

I am approaching the end of my first guitar refurb and have a quick question.
To cut a long story short, I have moddified this guitar from it's whammy/locking nut configuration to a fixed bridge and nut. I am at the point of sizeing my bone blank to fit the neck. I won't be cutting the slots though, I'll be asking an experienced tech to do that job for me...but my question is, how thick should the nut be? Is there an equation or something that the thickness is derived from?
Thanks in advance for any input.
measure the thickness of your current locking nut, and then cut the new one to those specs.

Or just have the guy who is slotting the nut for you do it. That is really something you don't want to be messing around with if you don't know what you are doing.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Ah...good idea, thanks :-)
If I run into probs, I'll for sure ask a tech to do it.
Thanks again.

Edit: ok, the original locking nut is almost 1/2" think...guessing that would be way too think to reproduce in a bone nut right?
Last edited by LGlide at Jun 14, 2011,
you could just keep the locking nut but not lock it down. That's what Paul Gilbert did when he converted one of his PGM 401s.

I'm not a tech, but you would probably have to fill in that gap and put the new nut in that.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.