Hi all

I've had a 7 string for around a month and today I decided to play around in drop A tuning. Being a big fan of In Flames and now having a guitar capable of playing close to their drop A# tuning I gave the song "Take This Life" a go- and I'm having a little difficulty with the main riff as shown below

(taken from wild577mxracer's tab)

8th notes at 240bpm

|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
|----5---5---5---5---5---5---5h8p5----4---4---4---4---4---4---3---3-----|
|--0---0---0---0---0---0---0--------0---0---0---0---0---0---0---0-------|

How should I go about picking this? My downpicking is rather poor as I've never really cared for it and my hand is getting confused by the constant string-swapping when trying to alternate pick with down-up-down (up-down-up just seems horribly inefficient)
Alrighty, cheers guys. I think it's the offbeat accents that are throwing me, so I'll just loop it in GPro for a while
As I recall, that first open A is used as an upbeat. You can inside pick that and get an accent on the higher notes, which ought to be a little easier to get used to playing.
Personally I'd hybrid pick it. I think the way to do it is alternate picking, starting on an upstroke, although you could do it either way around.

It's pretty hard because it's fast, but there's nothing complicated about it - just do it slowly till your hand stops getting confused, then build up the tempo.

(1527 represent! )
Quote by Freepower
(1527 represent! )

It is the only choice.
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

Quote by SilverSpurs616
Hi all

I've had a 7 string for around a month and today I decided to play around in drop A tuning. Being a big fan of In Flames and now having a guitar capable of playing close to their drop A# tuning I gave the song "Take This Life" a go- and I'm having a little difficulty with the main riff as shown below

(taken from wild577mxracer's tab)

8th notes at 240bpm

|----5---5---5---5---5---5---5h8p5----4---4---4---4---4---4---3---3-----|
|--0---0---0---0---0---0---0--------0---0---0---0---0---0---0---0-------|

How should I go about picking this? My downpicking is rather poor as I've never really cared for it and my hand is getting confused by the constant string-swapping when trying to alternate pick with down-up-down (up-down-up just seems horribly inefficient)

you should start on the 5th fret with an upstroke then alt pick it from there
Stuff that I bought:

Washburn WM24V
Raven RG100 Amplifier
Zoom G1X Multi-Effects Pedal

Quote by jsync
how do you define a guitar for a female?
how about one that whines and has trouble with feedback?