Hey guys, I need some 3 string sweeps to do for a solo, the song is in the key of A major. I'm not great at working things out and i'm not big on theory... Any examples, tabs, songs with them in would be very helpful. Or even tell me where to start or anything really. Cheers guys!
its pretty easy to come up with them, just kinda look at the scale and play 1 note on each string going up and down.... dont really know how to describe it other than that

look at the chords your playing under it and whatnot

e|-------4-7-4----
B|-----5---------5----
G|---4--------------4---
A major, Eh? Just figure out what notes are in it and create chords out of them...

Diatonic triads could also help here, as they would essentially tell you what arpeggios you could play. This lesson seems pretty good at explaing them. http://www.musictheory.net/lessons/43

I'd really rather not just give them to you, but...

A major, B minor, C# minor, D major, E major, F# minor, G# diminished, and finally back to A major. That being said, you can also use many other arpeggio shapes such as Add# and suspended shapes.
Awesome, this is helping a lot cheers guys. Would i be right in thinking that as long as it started on an A note i'd be safe? And as long as it was major and not minor?
Quote by cambfmv
Awesome, this is helping a lot cheers guys. Would i be right in thinking that as long as it started on an A note i'd be safe? And as long as it was major and not minor?

Figure out what three notes make an A chord (protip: look at you open A or full-barre A shape to see what notes are being played) and focus on moving between those three notes in your sweeps. For the in-between notes? Fill in the gaps with the major scale or a series of chromatic moves (half-steps.)
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
@Soviet, I wouldn't suggest that he use chromatics if hes not great at "Working things out or theory". Also, if he knows that he should play in A major, then "Filling in the gaps" could cause some tonality clashes.

Use A major for the solo, or G# Minor if you work better in that mindset. We don't know the song so we really can't do much more than give you basic ideas...
Quote by Life Is Brutal
@Soviet, I wouldn't suggest that he use chromatics if hes not great at "Working things out or theory". Also, if he knows that he should play in A major, then "Filling in the gaps" could cause some tonality clashes.

Use A major for the solo, or G# Minor if you work better in that mindset. We don't know the song so we really can't do much more than give you basic ideas...

I Wanna Rock by Twisted Sister. I've been challenged to add sweeps, which is fine I just don't know which ones... (I should have said the song first, sorry guys...)
Quote by Life Is Brutal

I'm going to guess you mean F# Minor because it's the relative minor. And even then it makes no sense as you're just playing A major.

TS, pay attention to the chords. Get your sweeps to relate to the chords underneath. Just because a song is in the key of A major does not mean that the only chord is A major.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I'm going to guess you mean F# Minor because it's the relative minor. And even then it makes no sense as you're just playing A major.

TS, pay attention to the chords. Get your sweeps to relate to the chords underneath. Just because a song is in the key of A major does not mean that the only chord is A major.

Sorry, I meant F#, the relative minor, but either my mind slipped or my hand did. My bad.

And you didn't bother to put those into tab Sean?
Last edited by Life Is Brutal at Jun 14, 2011,
I'm surprised Sean actually gave him fret numbers, what happened to getting people to learn the notes on the fretboard?
Quote by griffRG7321
I'm surprised Sean actually gave him fret numbers, what happened to getting people to learn the notes on the fretboard?

It was easy enough. Enough people know who I am and what I do anyways, and if they don't and they stick around here long enough, they will. The idea is that people know I'm here if they need that kind of thing, and for those that don't, at least they know they are not without options. That's how I look at it.

This guy seems content to just tab his way through, rather than understanding anything he's doing, and to me that just tells me what phase of development is as a musician. I was in that phase as were many who ultimately come to understand the guitar better. It's mostly a question of maturity and what's important to you.

It didn't cost me but a few seconds to help, and most importantly, it didn't take away from anything that I teach others who invest in their learning from me (which is what creates my biggest barrier to helping others with more direct answers, and why I came up with mentoring guitarists as an alternative, so that I could still help people through ruts, without them having to become my students). Heck by week 3 in Triads every student I have can do this and then some, without even having the guitar in their hand!

If I can answer something that doesn't take from the mouths of my paying students, then I will.

Also I'm not teaching things recycled from 1000 books and free You Tube Video's, I have my own way.

The thing I posted he could have worked out in 2 minutes if he knew the notes on the neck It took me what, 12 seconds

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jun 15, 2011,
Step 1

Figure out the notes in chords in A major. I'll even tell you, cuz I'm so nice.
A C# E [A]
B D F# [Bm]
C# E G# [C#m]
E G# B [E]
F# A C#
G# B C# [G#dim]

Step 2
Learn the notes on the fretboard. If you already do, make sure you can remember them.

Step 3
Make your own 3 string sweeps
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Know your triads on all strings.
If you want to solo I recommend learning the 4 highest strings.
If you know how these connect, so that when you start with an E shaped triad your next form will be a D shape and the one after that an A shaped triad.
On the D G and B it will be E shaped to C shaped to A shaped.