Page 1 of 2
ok so heres the deal, im graduating high school next week and am gonna work full time for a year before university. im that time i will probably be able to put away close to 5 or 6000$ for music related spending.

so would it be practical to buy a les paul custom at my age? each one ive played felt and sounded perfect, but the issues i have are that its 4300$ and im not sure i trust myself with one, since i play in a local band thats just starting to get off the ground and gonna be doing alot of gigging.

my other alternative is buy a cheaper les paul like the trad pro and maybe some facy jackson and spend the last bit of the money on other stuff thatll pop up throughout the year and save whatever is left over.

also please dont say i should buy something cheap and save all the money, i have already planned to put a side a large chunk of the money id make, a lot more than the music buget for school and all.

which would you guys choose? because I'm in love with the les paul custom silverburst but it may not be the best option right now......
honestly man i would never spend that much on a guitar cause its really not gonna sound *that* much better than something for 1-2k, just my opinion tho lol
Rock on or die

Guitarist 5 years, Had purpose in life 5 years

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
$4300 for a guitar is pretty damn ridiculous in my opinion.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
ya for sure i agree on that, maybe its like some placebo effect, but they just feel perfect in my hands :S

another option is buy the cheaper LP now, use that as a workhorse guitar and if i still want the custom by the time i graduate from university ill buy it for myself then
in the end its your money.
if youre absolutely not going to be happy with anything else, then get it. if its mostly for the BA effect, and youll be perfectly happy with something less expensive, i see so many ways better to spend that same amout of money on a single guitar and equipment and have a great soudn
Practical? No. But if you really want it and you have the cash, go for it. I mean you'd still have another 1 or 2 thousand.
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

I'm in about the same boat as you are. Way I see it, I'm gonna save up and buy a guitar/amp/gear that is reliable, durable, sounds good, and won't cost me a fortune. I know that probably always the goal in mid when buying new gear, but let me specify;

I love the gibson les Paul too, but money is tight, and my music style is geared more towards metal. My solution is the LTD dlx ec-1000. It's a great quality made guitar, sounds perfect, built for my style, and it's only $850. On op of that it's got a lot of nice extras that male it even more worth it's price, like emg pickups, locking tuners blah blah blah. Point is I won't have to upgrade most of the hardware for quite sometime.

I know you may not be the same kind of musician I am, and I'm not tryin to sell you on the ltd, but it might be good to have the same idea in mind. Get a guitar that sounds great, and will last you a while, without spending so much. That way you can put the money where it needs to go. Into the amp.

Just my opinion though.
im not saying that thats gonna be the only guitar ill like. but i mean i have a nice amp, the pedals i need a pretty good sound already, the only thing i see myself wanting besides a nice guitar or 2 is an MFX unit like a POD or something.

right now i have a few guitars, but they all have things the others lack.

like i have my main guitar, which is my most valuable one and its a modded gibson V but that permanently stays in D standard/ Drop C. thats why i have my MiM tele. but that has 21 frets and fairly weak pickups, so i go to my godin redline 1 but that only has an emg 81 and bad fret acess.

and i really want an LP so im thinking it might just be best for now atleast to get the traditional pro for my main Estandard/Drop D guitar and maybe get the POD, and a jackson 7 string for fun.

about the ec-1000, its a good guitar for the price ya, and im more metal oriented too because of my band, but i do alot more progressive stuff on my own and i do alot with cleans too so i want passive. plus my V already has emgs. also i dislike esp/ltd necks and im looking for that huge punchy sound that only les pauls give. the ec1000 is considerably thinner than an lp studio. i know because ive A/B'd a les paul studio with an ESP eclipse II and liked the studio better, but not enough to buy it.
Last edited by Seanthesheep at Jun 14, 2011,
Well I guess if you don really need to spend that much money on extra gear, and you have the money for it, then by all means go on ahead and get it.

As long as you're getting it because it's the guitar that's right for the job and not just for the epic bragging rights that come with owning an lp custom.

God knows if I could afford one I'd get one. So why shouldn't you be able to?
Last edited by robertsanidiot at Jun 14, 2011,
id hate shelling out 4 k on a guitar, but i mean if it felt right, more so thatn any other guitar ive played then id want to......

i dont know, im going to buffalo soo, so ill try the trad pro there because i cant find them in canada i guess it depends on how i feel about the trad pro
My best advice is to try out every alternative you can before you buy the lp. Because damn dude that four grand, and if for some reason its not working out for you anymore or it messes up or ANYTHING, then all you have is a hunk of four thousand dollar wood until you replace it.
Quote by robertsanidiot
My best advice is to try out every alternative you can before you buy the lp. Because damn dude that four grand, and if for some reason its not working out for you anymore or it messes up or ANYTHING, then all you have is a hunk of four thousand dollar wood until you replace it.

thats what im thinking.
Quote by nirvanagrunge13
honestly man i would never spend that much on a guitar cause its really not gonna sound *that* much better than something for 1-2k, just my opinion tho lol

Yes, they are. my Les Paul sounds far better than any other P90 loaded guitars in the 1-2K range. At this point, I am not messing around with cheaper (2K) guitars. It's pointless, since there are so many great guitars between 2-4K's. I mean, if you can afford it, no problem, grab one. Gibson Customs have this certain vibe and feel, which no regular USA model contains. I love my SG Standard, but I have swapped out almost every part except the bridge, and it sounds and feels awesome, but I got lucky. Anyway, as far as the age related thing, I just finished my freshman year or high school. look at my sig. Those are my guitars, but I gig regularly and I play in a vigorous music program at my school. If you're going to use it, get it. I know several kids with very expensive guitars, and they sound great and are practical if you are not going to be in debt, or pay for car, rent, etc.
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

no, buy a Faded Brown Gibson Les Paul Studio, & buy a Gibson USA Hard Case with is, why would you ever pay an extra like 3000 for shit that you can upgrade on your own over time...like what, Gold Hardware? let me let you in on a little ****ing secret...my dad (I'm 25 years-old, he's 55 years-old) he has one of the first 8 Fender Stevie Ray Vaughan Signature model Number One/First wife Stratocasters from the early 1990's. I was a kid, I don't remember what year exactly, but I remember it was early 1990's & that guitar has gold plated EVERYTHING; Gold Tuning Machines, Gold Left-Hand Tremolo, Gold pick guard screws, Gold Whammy Bar, you name it. That being said, his playing style makes him rest his hand on the bridge while it's strumming (so-to-speak) & the gold plating's worn off a lot on the bridge & the saddles, & the Gold Plating wore off of the Whammy Bar I swear like within 2 weeks...& I didn't switch it with another whammy bar, it's a different thread size then most of our other Stratocaster...but yeah, get a Faded Brown or Faded Cherry Les Paul Studio for under $1000, with a Gibson USA Deluxe Case...I have one, & because I got that, I was ALSO able to get the Faded Finish 1967 Gibson Flying V (also with the Gibson USA Deluxe Hard Case)....so really, be smart about this...a more expensive guitar doesn't make the guitar (or the player) play any better...
R.I.P.:
Randy Rhoads (December 6, 1956 – March 19, 1982)
Dimebag Darrell (August 20, 1966 – December 8, 2004)
Les Paul (June 9, 1915 – August 13, 2009)
Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010)
Quote by Mazz-
no, buy a Faded Brown Gibson Les Paul Studio, & buy a Gibson USA Hard Case with is, why would you ever pay an extra like 3000 for shit that you can upgrade on your own over time...like what, Gold Hardware? let me let you in on a little ****ing secret...my dad (I'm 25 years-old, he's 55 years-old) he has one of the first 8 Fender Stevie Ray Vaughan Signature model Number One/First wife Stratocasters from the early 1990's. I was a kid, I don't remember what year exactly, but I remember it was early 1990's & that guitar has gold plated EVERYTHING; Gold Tuning Machines, Gold Left-Hand Tremolo, Gold pick guard screws, Gold Whammy Bar, you name it. That being said, his playing style makes him rest his hand on the bridge while it's strumming (so-to-speak) & the gold plating's worn off a lot on the bridge & the saddles, & the Gold Plating wore off of the Whammy Bar I swear like within 2 weeks...& I didn't switch it with another whammy bar, it's a different thread size then most of our other Stratocaster...but yeah, get a Faded Brown or Faded Cherry Les Paul Studio for under $1000, with a Gibson USA Deluxe Case...I have one, & because I got that, I was ALSO able to get the Faded Finish 1967 Gibson Flying V (also with the Gibson USA Deluxe Hard Case)....so really, be smart about this...a more expensive guitar doesn't make the guitar (or the player) play any better...

There are plenty of non-gold plated customs. I think it looks tacky but a studio, even with orignal PAF's, upgraded pots, tuners, etc. will always be a studio. It's the sad truth, but the wood and paint make a huge sound difference...
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

Last edited by kracdown at Jun 14, 2011,
Quote by kracdown
Gibson Customs have this certain vibe and feel, which no regular USA model contains. I love my SG Standard, but I have swapped out almost every part except the bridge, and it sounds and feels awesome, but I got lucky.

pretty much same here with my V..... (new pickguard, pots, knobs, toggle switch, pickups. everything except tuners and bridge, and even those might get changed soon)

so ya i guess ill see if any USA models can blow me away. if not, then im gonna grab a custom i guess.
Quote by Seanthesheep
pretty much same here with my V..... (new pickguard, pots, knobs, toggle switch, pickups. everything except tuners and bridge, and even those might get changed soon)

so ya i guess ill see if any USA models can blow me away. if not, then im gonna grab a custom i guess.

I think Les Pauls can get tricky. I have played tons of Studios, non of which played "like a Les Paul" should. If you went USA, you should look at Standards, and Traditionals. But it's all preference. I think it would be impractical to spend that money on two cheap guitrs.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

well im looking for a non chambered, full thickness les paul. so right there, theres a bunch out of the question.

if i bought 2 guitars itd be something like a gibson LP trad pro and a jackson SL2H or SLAT3-7 or somthing. so not cheap guitars, but not custom shop guitars either.

WAIT.

after looking through ebay a bit. i think i could probably get a fairly recent les paul custom used in white, then change out the hardware to black and have a very sexy, personalized guitar.... for under 3000 prolly
as awesome as itd be to have a 7, its not a priority. because i couldnt use it in my band because our other guitarist doesnt have one or the funds to get one. so itd be for entertainment really
I say make the money first and then ask yourself this question. First you need a job, then you need to be able to stick it out long enough to earn that money and hope nothing else taps out your funds. I wouldn't stack a hypothetical on top of another hypothetical like this.
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212
well right now i have a full time job lined up for the summer, that will prolly continue past the fall no problem. i didnt really wannna go this detailed into it, my main question was too see others opinions on getting a really pricey guitar at my point in life
I would honestly say to go with a custom guitar. Carvin would be good. Look into local luthiers who can hand craft you an instrument and you know whats getting put into it and have input at all phases of production. You can give it the same specs as an LPC, but you could really suit it to your needs.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by Seanthesheep
well im looking for a non chambered, full thickness les paul. so right there, theres a bunch out of the question.

if i bought 2 guitars itd be something like a gibson LP trad pro and a jackson SL2H or SLAT3-7 or somthing. so not cheap guitars, but not custom shop guitars either.

WAIT.

after looking through ebay a bit. i think i could probably get a fairly recent les paul custom used in white, then change out the hardware to black and have a very sexy, personalized guitar.... for under 3000 prolly

you have to be careful.

Only the historics are full solid. everything else is either chambered or weight relieved.

the les paul custom is not a historic.

a historic should cost you 2500 at most.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-58-VOS-Reissue-R8-1958-/270762709853?pt=Guitar&hash=item3f0ab7135d#ht_500wt_900
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AWACS
I would honestly say to go with a custom guitar. Carvin would be good. Look into local luthiers who can hand craft you an instrument and you know whats getting put into it and have input at all phases of production. You can give it the same specs as an LPC, but you could really suit it to your needs.

Troof
Quote by AcousticMirror
you have to be careful.

Only the historics are full solid. everything else is either chambered or weight relieved.

the les paul custom is not a historic.

a historic should cost you 2500 at most.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-58-VOS-Reissue-R8-1958-/270762709853?pt=Guitar&hash=item3f0ab7135d#ht_500wt_900

youre right theres a difference. but i said i want a non chambered LP. im fine with the wieght relieved ones and know all the customs are weight relived, or at least the ones im looking at.
Quote by Seanthesheep
well right now i have a full time job lined up for the summer, that will prolly continue past the fall no problem. i didnt really wannna go this detailed into it, my main question was too see others opinions on getting a really pricey guitar at my point in life

Yeah I see what you mean, but it will be a different point in your life then. The guitar range will probably be slightly different as will prices and the way you feel. Back on my PC forum guys always used to ask us to help spec out builds for them that they weren't going to build for a year which made all the info null and void.
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212
but the tech industry is advancing/changing alot fast than music industry in terms of instruments.
especially since were talking about gibson

but what i agree on the most with you is my opinion will prolly change slightly. but so far from this thread i think ive decided im gonna purchase a traditional pro before the end of summer or something and reward myself after university with a les paul custom. that is, if i end up liking it. features im sold on, its the actual feel thats gonna be the factor
It's your money so you've got to do what you feel comfortable with but don't worry about your age or the time in your life.

In my experience (having been around somewhat longer than you, or to put it another way, I'm an old git ) I have found that I have regretted not buying something I really wanted at the time when I have had the money or buying a cheaper alternative. Thinking that instead I would buy it later when it seemed more sensible/reasonable, but when that time comes the money has ended up being used for other things.

In your example, you say you might treat yourself when you finish university, but when you finish university you might have a whole lot of new expenses setting up your new working life eg. relocating, job expenses, moving in with life partner (who you might have trouble persuading it is a good idea to spend money on a guitar anyway!) etc. That tends to be how life is.

Just my $0.02 Good luck deciding.
if you buy a high end guitar and take care of it you will always have a beautiful guitar. If you save up and buy a computer or a car what do you have in 2-3 years, nothing worth anything. If you find the guitar that is perfect for you and you really like it save your ass off and get it. Then take care of it and play it. You will not regret it.
Could you find a cheaper guitar that you like, most definitely but if you really REALLY like a specific LP then in your mind that 2k guitar will never be the one you "really wanted". Save for it, buy it and never look back.
Quote by Henry Wilt
you say you might treat yourself when you finish university, but when you finish university you might have a whole lot of new expenses setting up your new working life eg. relocating, job expenses, moving in with life partner (who you might have trouble persuading it is a good idea to spend money on a guitar anyway!) etc. That tends to be how life is.

Just my $0.02 Good luck deciding.

+1,000,000,000 - when you finish college you are going to have a butt load of problems and expenses. Treat yourself now before the chains of life pull you down into the abyss of 9-5.
if its what you want go for it...although i im sure that if you know off 1000 you could still gt a good gibby LP
Spend what you can afford but,ask your self this question.If you have to ask the permission of the idiots in an internut forum should you spend the money or put it into a bank?
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by Bhaok
Spend what you can afford but,ask your self this question.If you have to ask the permission of the idiots in an internut forum should you spend the money or put it into a bank?

I can understand why the TS started the thread and asked for the opinions of other like minded people. It is a lot of money to spend on anything and it is totally justifiable to be nervous about laying out that much cash.

In the same way, if they do decide to go for it there will be a period of buyers remorse and I wouldn't be surprised if the TS (or anyone else that did the same) started a thread saying something like "Did I do the right thing?"

We all look for the approval of, and/or the reassurance from our peers in the things we do in life. This forum is made up of people who can understand where the guy is coming from where as if they ask someone who has no musical knowledge or inclination, a couple of hundred bucks might sound too much to spend on a guitar.

Edit: And I don't think there was ever a hint of asking permission, merely asking for advice.
Last edited by Henry Wilt at Jun 15, 2011,
It's your money (or will be) and your decision. If you feel it's right, then do it. Your age etc. has no bearing on the situation.

That being said, I'd be hard pressed to blow the majority of my music budget on something that is quite frankly overpriced for what you get, simply because of the name on the headstock...
Quote by AWACS

I am adopting this answer as my own. With your bankroll, that's really the way to go.

I have 5 guitars from a luthier named Jon Kammerer- 2 hollowbodies, a semi-hollow, a solidbody w/trem, and an acoustic- all basically standard models he offers, ranging from $900 to $3000. His customs start at around $2000.

Additionally, the entire Carvin line is customizable. I don't own one, but I know enough blissfully happy Carvin owners to have one (well, two) on my list. A lot of bang for your buck.

So, find a local luthier. Or go Carvin. You won't regret it, and you may just have $$$ left over for the kinds of things Henry Wilt wisely pointed out.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I say go for it if its what you really want. In 2004 I bought my PRS and am really glad I did, because it would be almost impossible now for me. Whats funny is I was going to buy a CU22, but ended up with a CE22 that felt and played better to me. But I couldn't afford it now because of A. kids B. wife C. monthly living expence. Get it while you can.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Page 1 of 2