Hey whatsup guys,
So basically I need some help picking out a first bass. I've been playing guitar for 5 years so I'm not starting from nothing, and from just playing around I've found that i can play bass to some extent. But anyway, I play mostly rock and metal, stuff like Sevenfold, Metallica, Three days grace, breaking ben, and a lot of other stuff. So can anybody help kinda guide me in the right direction as far as how many strings, some possible brands, and maybe even models? Thanks a lot guys
Oh and I almost forgot budget, probably from around 300-600 dollars
Rock on or die

Guitarist 5 years, Had purpose in life 5 years

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
Check out Schecter basses. Thats what i got when i got one and i had like the exact same circumstances you have. There pretty good and don't really cost that much (i got mine for $200 and i love it)

P.S. Mine's a Schecter Raiden DLX-4
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
Last edited by 100% at Jun 14, 2011,
Before I suggest anything, two questions:

1) What currency are those dollars in? We get people from all over the world here and some dollars go farther then others (USD vs. Australian Dollars for example), and its easier if we don't have to make any assumptions.

2) You need an amp. Do you already have one? Do you have a separate budget for one? Or do you have to get both a bass and an amp with the budget you already posted?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
Before I suggest anything, two questions:

1) What currency are those dollars in? We get people from all over the world here and some dollars go farther then others (USD vs. Australian Dollars for example), and its easier if we don't have to make any assumptions.

2) You need an amp. Do you already have one? Do you have a separate budget for one? Or do you have to get both a bass and an amp with the budget you already posted?

Thats USD, sorry shoulda specified lol. Amp is somewhat included in the 600 limit i guess but i could probably go over a bit. I was thinking something like a 200-300$ ampeg combo
Rock on or die

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
Quote by 100%
Check out Schecter basses. Thats what i got when i got one and i had like the exact same circumstances you have. There pretty good and don't really cost that much (i got mine for $200 and i love it)

P.S. Mine's a Schecter Raiden DLX-4

Yeah actually the main one I've had my eye on has been a Stiletto Custom, but then I was havin trouble deciding 4 or 5
Rock on or die

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
You're probably better off avoiding an Ampeg combo unless you're buying used. They're alright amps, but they really do use Ampeg's reputation to hike the sticker price higher then they should. For $200-$300, look at Acoustic brand amplifiers, they're one of the best bang-for-your-buck brands in the <$400 price range. If you're willing to go used, there are some great Peaveys and Ashdowns out there that can be had for cheap.

As for the bass:
- used MIM Fender Precision or Jazz (should be around $300 give or take)
- Squier Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified Precision or Jazz.
- An Ibanez SR. You should be looking at the SR300/305 or SR400/405 series new, you could probably find an SR500/505/506 used in your budget.
- Yamaha RBX374/375, or a used BB series
- Peavey Millennium BXP or Zodiac BXP

There's also any number of good basses you could find used locally, just keep an eye on craigslist and in classifieds. Before you start picking and choosing though, take a trip to a GC or another shop and try some basses out to get a feel for some basses in your price range. That way you can also get a good idea as to how many strings you want, what kinds of necks are most comfortable for you, what kind of pickups you prefer, etc.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
That's a good price point, because it gets you out of the sub $200 "is this any good" lottery. Under $200 is a bad place to be for a bass.

Yamaha and Ibanez can get you a good value with good Japanese build quality. I've seen a lot of Ibanez and Yamaha instruments hold up well. I saw one or two people say they were unhappy with the reliability of an Ibanez product they bought. This very much surprised me. But maybe Ibanez has been cutting corners in recent years. I'd vouch for USA made Fender basses. I haven't explored foreign-made Fender basses lately, so I can't vouch for their quality. But I've seen a number of people saying they bought foreign Fender basses and have been happy with them.

Schecter is kind of a sleepy brand that doesn't get a lot of attention. The guitars and basses I've demoed in the store from them I thought were good. I wasn't wowed by them, but I definitely did not try any that I thought were junk. But I've never bought one, so I can't vouch for long-term durability.

Stay away from store brands and mysterious brands that appear out of nowhere. Also avoid brands that make peculiar marketing attempts to appeal to certain demographics. For example, I'd stay a mile away from a brand that calls itself something like "Rocker Girl" and has bright electric colored cardboard displays. Lately I've seen stores really trying to make the move to put "house brands" into their product mix. These are brands I've never seen before, and are unique to whatever store is carrying them. I don't trust those brands. But I tend to buy expensive stuff, so those things would be off my radar anyway.

A huge decision is four or five strings. A lot of modern music really likes that low frequency capability. I'd look into a five string. I can't see much downside to getting one, unless the music you're doing has some sort of vibe that makes a 5-string out of place.

So try starting your search with a 5-string bass at about $350 from a respected name brand that has been around for ten years or longer. Then go from there. That's a good start.
Last edited by joesix at Jun 14, 2011,
I love Schecters. They sound amazing, play great and look good. I have the Raiden Special-4 (which is in the Diamond Series) and you can see it here http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Raiden-Special-4-Electric-Bass-Guitar-105805840-i1521446.gc . Also, don't be turned off by used ones. I got mine for $250 used and it had been owned by a guy who never even played it!
Girl bassist and proud of it.