Page 1 of 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3fqE01YYWs&feature=related

The above link is the sound of Jupiter. I find the sounds of space to be just so beautiful. It sounds so calm and dark and ambient, I just can't explain it. It makes me sad that I'll never be able to venture out into space and hear this.

For you science nuts, I know there isn't really sound in space, but they turned electromagnetic waves in space into acoustic waves, and this is what we can hear. I thought it would be nice to share and maybe somebody else appreciates this as much as I do. Enjoy.
pinga
*AHEM*

But yeah, that does sound pretty damn creepy.

EDIT: Beaten to it.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Last edited by rockingamer2 at Jun 14, 2011,
I love space. I wish our space travel wasn't so primitive so i could explore the solar system or further. Sadly that will not happen in our lifetimes
Quote by Lost Dog
I love space. I wish our space travel wasn't so primitive so i could explore the solar system or further. Sadly that will not happen in our lifetimes

Don't be so sure. There's always the odd possibility of alien contact.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by Lost Dog

Just go buy Carl Sagan's Cosmos on DVD. That'll get you your space travel fix.
Technically there is no sound in space, cause you'll never hear it cause you can't put your ear outside into the vacuum, cause you'll die.

The sound they are talking about is electromagnetic pluses, which is not really sound, unless you convert the sound using equipment.

Also, sound is a physical waveform that travels through a medium, in our case, it's air, in space, there is no medium for which the sound wave to travel, thus, it can't really travel very far.

But it's very cool though, sounds like a sand storm.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Technically there is no sound in space, cause you'll never hear it cause you can't put your ear outside into the vacuum, cause you'll die.

The sound they are talking about is electromagnetic pluses, which is not really sound, unless you convert the sound using equipment.

Also, sound is a physical waveform that travels through a medium, in our case, it's air, in space, there is no medium for which the sound wave to travel, thus, it can't really travel very far.

But it's very cool though, sounds like a sand storm.

No. Sound is a mechanical wave, it can't propagate through vacuum, EM waves can.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by ethan_hanus
That's what I said.

No, you said sound can't travel very far. But I guess yeah, "0" isn't very far.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by damian_91
No, you said sound can't travel very far. But I guess yeah, "0" isn't very far.

If an explosion happened in space right next to you, you'd hear it, most likely feel it more than hear it, but it'll make some sort of sound. That's what I mean by not very far. Like, 20 or 30 feet at most.

Would be a good experiment to try for NASA.
Quote by ethan_hanus
If an explosion happened in space right next to you, you'd hear it, most likely feel it more than hear it, but it'll make some sort of sound. That's what I mean by not very far. Like, 20 or 30 feet at most.

Would be a good experiment to try for NASA.

Not even 20 feet, 0.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
Thought it was kinda boring.

Holst FTW
The future is no place to place your better days
Quote by ethan_hanus
How would you know?

Because you go and ask anyone if mechanical waves propagate through vacuum and they will say no.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
Quote by ethan_hanus
So you don't know. I know they say that, but have they ever proved it?

http://extranet.barneyschool.org.uk/myphysicsweb/Sound%20Waves.pdf
You can prove quite easily that the sound waves can’t travel
through a vacuum by putting a bell inside a bell jar and ringing it.
If there is air inside the jar you can hear the noise outside but
once the air is pumped out of the bell jar no sound can get out.

and from NASA
http://astrobiology.nasa.gov/ask-an-astrobiologist/question/?id=246
Indeed, sound cannot travel in the vacuum of space. Sound, unlike light, is a compression wave. It needs molecules to compress and decompress against in order to move. In the emptiness of space, however, there are no such molecules, and thus sound can never be heard in space.
Quote by ethan_hanus
So you don't know. I know they say that, but have they ever proved it?

There are different kinds of waves, sound is a pressure wave, in vacuum, there's no way for sound to propagate. You can have a time-varying magnetic field in vacuum, EM waves can propagate through vacuum.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
Page 1 of 2