This

Here

And here

Basically that style in general. Seems steve vai-ish, but not. My guitar teacher called it "fusion" style. Is that right? Is there even a technical name for it, and if so, how can I learn it?

Cheers,

Kodi
fusion is pretty much what I'd call it. its VERY jazzy, which means to learn this u'd have to know your music theory VERY VERY well. Look into people like holdsworth. or even frank gambale. neither are as metal as this, BUT they use very similar licks. To me, this guy plays a mix of vai and jazz.
listen to LOTS of Greg Howe.

that last one's really cool; i wish i could get my hands on that backing track it'd be lots of fun to mess around with. he does lots of linear Vai-esque stuff on that one. It'd be cool to hear some more aggressive style of playing like Petrucci or Paul Gilbert's style on it.

For those funkier ones Greg Howe does all that kind of stuff and more..he's one of my favorite fusion players around and for the last one, really any guitarist that plays melodically. Joe Satriani, Vai, Eric Johnson.. just listen to their stuff and don't copy their style exactly but pick out bits and pieces of what you like from each and then develop your own style based on what guitarists you like.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Last edited by calebrocker at Jun 14, 2011,
Quote by awesomo41894
fusion is pretty much what I'd call it. its VERY jazzy, which means to learn this u'd have to know your music theory VERY VERY well. Look into people like holdsworth. or even frank gambale. neither are as metal as this, BUT they use very similar licks. To me, this guy plays a mix of vai and jazz.

Well I'm pretty theory-dumb, so I mainly was wanting to learn licks in that style lol
Quote by calebrocker
listen to LOTS of Greg Howe.

that last one's really cool; i wish i could get my hands on that backing track it'd be lots of fun to mess around with. he does lots of linear Vai-esque stuff on that one. It'd be cool to hear some more aggressive style of playing like Petrucci or Paul Gilbert's style on it.

For those funkier ones Greg Howe does all that kind of stuff and more..he's one of my favorite fusion players around and for the last one, really any guitarist that plays melodically. Joe Satriani, Vai, Eric Johnson.. just listen to their stuff and don't copy their style exactly but pick out bits and pieces of what you like from each and then develop your own style based on what guitarists you like.

+1
Quote by kodihook
Yeah I dig all that stuff. Any idea of good fusion tutorials?

I dont really know of any, but Ive found the best way to learn stuff is to try and learn it on your own. Otherwise, try sending a message to the guy in those videos asking him how he learned.
a good place to start is to know the notes on the fretboard and the theory behind the different scales. make a warm up and practice routine, then start working on a fusion piece you want to learn.
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by convictionless
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by calebrocker
a good place to start is to know the notes on the fretboard and the theory behind the different scales. make a warm up and practice routine, then start working on a fusion piece you want to learn.

Well I know the pentatonic scale, and all the notes on the fretboard. I've got really good technique too (or so I'm told...) I just lack alot of speed. On those grounds, does anyone know an easy song in this style to learn?
this might help. i found it on youtube; he breaks down what's going on with the chord progressions and the note's he's using

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTLUH1xxVN4

just try that stuff and experiment with other chords. also being a well rounded guitar means knowing how to play more than the pentatonic scales
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by convictionless
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by calebrocker
this might help. i found it on youtube; he breaks down what's going on with the chord progressions and the note's he's using

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTLUH1xxVN4

just try that stuff and experiment with other chords. also being a well rounded guitar means knowing how to play more than the pentatonic scales

I'm goin on 11 months playing. I think if you heard me you'd be impressed with my progress. lol :P
well you said you wanted to learn an easy piece. if you think you're good enough learn Jump Start by Greg Howe or Waves by Guthrie Govan
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by convictionless
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by calebrocker
well you said you wanted to learn an easy piece. if you think you're good enough learn Jump Start by Greg Howe or Waves by Guthrie Govan

Yeah I do want something easy. Meaning not super fast or complex, but more intermediate. I'm definitely not great, but for 11 months, I'm better than most at that stage I guess.
Listen to Guthrie Govan. One of the most impeccable phrasing I've heard, which is generally what fusion is. Phrasing and moving around the chances effortlessly. As said before, you'll need to know your theory VERY well.

You should know which scales correspond with which chords, and you should know your chords with all available tensions etc, and how to manipulate notes the scale/chord to create counter balance in the melody. Speed, Sweeping, Tapping etc is all a part of it, but in my opinion secondary. If you can do all that crazy stuff on guitar but doesnt know where it fits in the song, what good is it?

check out this song and the next

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z-2cPUUsXY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yPEewaalik

also this is him improving over a tune and one with a fretless, cause it always amazes me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUZK9dasP8s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PyOZhgQnvU

cheers
Quote by kodihook
This

Here

And here

Basically that style in general. Seems steve vai-ish, but not. My guitar teacher called it "fusion" style. Is that right? Is there even a technical name for it, and if so, how can I learn it?

Cheers,

Kodi

Vai plays in Lydian(minor basically) and Mixolydian a lot. I bet learning stuff from Guthrie Goven and Greg Howe would help tremendously help your endeavor. Look up other fusion jazz artists as well.
Stuff that I bought:

Washburn WM24V
Raven RG100 Amplifier
Zoom G1X Multi-Effects Pedal

Quote by jsync
how do you define a guitar for a female?
how about one that whines and has trouble with feedback?