so guys im starting a rackmount gear mini studio . as i wont travel .. i want something more esthetic than a SKB case . theres a guy building rackmount custom high quality cabinet near my house .

http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-pro-audio-recording-equip-Cabinet-Rackmount-4U-Cognac-Customized-NEUF-W0QQAdIdZ282911294

black or wood color .. its custom made so either 4U 6 U 8 U ..

im thinking about a black one .. my dilemma is 4u or 6u

right now i only have my 1u rocktorn voodu valve ... so that leave me 3 empty space .. im thinking a bout a power condition furman 1U and 90 % sure the new axe fx II when it come out . axe fx is 2U

So its either 4U all filled with voodu valve , power conditionner and axe fx .. or 6 u with two empty space .. now i jsut dont know what ill put in the two empty space .. i checked rack gear online .. people seem to have computer/midi rack gear .. like focusrite saffire etc.. etc.. ( thing which i never use yet and dont know how to use .

should i buy the 4u or 6u ?? having more space in case i need something else in . ???

question to rack owner :

1. what is your rack filled with ??

2 : what is essential .. in your opinion .for a small home studio ??

* im planning on doing small recoding of my playing .. .. are they any interface to record that are rackmount ??
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Jun 14, 2011,
definitely go with more than you need. if you plan to keep building it up, id suggest even going for the 8u. even if they arent all filled, you can leave a space between some of them to give them breathing room. everything can run a little cooler that way. IMO you need at least the 6 though, because your first round of things to buy completely fills the 4u. then what? you'd have to buy another case to expand

also

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/presonus-fp10-10x10-firewire-interface-firepod#used
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by InanezGuitars44 at Jun 14, 2011,
Quote by InanezGuitars44
definitely go with more than you need. if you plan to keep building it up, id suggest even going for the 8u. even if they arent all filled, you can leave a space between some of them to give them breathing room. everything can run a little cooler that way. IMO you need at least the 6 though, because your first round of things to buy completely fills the 4u. then what? you'd have to buy another case to expand

also

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/presonus-fp10-10x10-firewire-interface-firepod#used

This, always go with more than you need, especially with rack mount gear...you'll always add stuff.
6U.
You can then get a rack drawer and put spare picks, strings, tubes and other stuff in there.
No amp ... ill play through heapdhone at home and styraight to p.a or something like a Atomic FRFR or tech21 power engine .

no tube amp for me and no cab .

im buying axe fx and unit that have great speaker simulation exactly for the direct purpose .

i cant lug big amp /cab .. ive had two hernia surgery in my life ... no way im lugging 70 pounds tube amp/cab .

ill plug direct everywhere ill go
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Jun 14, 2011,
There is a phenomenon of the human psyche that abhors a vacant rack space. If you have spare spaces you WILL attempt to fill them. It can't be helped, it's like blinking when something is flying towards your eye.
You have been warned.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I built an 18u slanted, rolling rack unit in oak, with gray laminate sides. It's gorgeous, and full to the nuts.I'm building another 2x10u system, and I suspect it too will be full within a year or so, as I have a couple of unracked synths and plans for more pres, etc. Heed the advice of others, and get far more than you think you need right now.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1