Has anyone built off of Stew-Mac's Les Paul schematic? There seems to be an error in the scale length on the guitar plan.

Taken from the plan on the D string

0 --> 12 fret = 314mm
12 fret --> bridge = 320mm

From my understanding these measurements should be close to the same (as they are on my acoustic). 6mm (3/8" ish) seems like a lot of a difference. Or is this the way it's supposed to be?
Gear

1947 Harmony H1215
Walden D350

Califonia CGT-1 (crappy Strat knockoff)
Line-6 Spider IV 15

My LP Build
Last edited by krisschmidt at Jun 14, 2011,
I should clarify a bit. I took the measurements directly off of the plan using a steel ruler. There are other distances shown on the plan, and they scale correctly. Not quite sure why or if they showed the bridge in the wrong place. Perhaps someone with a Les Paul could pull out the tape measure and confirm cause right now I'm looking at removing a set neck....
Gear

1947 Harmony H1215
Walden D350

Line-6 Spider IV 15

My LP Build
Quote by LeviMan_2001
That's probably correct. A TOM bridge is about 1/8th inch closer on the high side than the low side. This is to compensate for intonation. I just measured about 324 mm to the properly intonated low e saddle on my agile as-820 (24.75 scale I believe)

What was the measurement on the other side (nut to 12th fret)?
Gear

1947 Harmony H1215
Walden D350

Line-6 Spider IV 15

My LP Build
Thanks LeviMan, but I think you are misunderstanding me. On any given string the nut to 12 fret measurement is not the same as 12 fret to bridge, and that is my source of confusion.
Gear

1947 Harmony H1215
Walden D350

Line-6 Spider IV 15

My LP Build
From what I know Gibson use to use a diffrent scale length system intill they changed to the more modern way of mesuring scale lengths. It didn't change the scale length alot but it may be why there is a 6mm diffrence. I can't remeber what this way of mesuring the scale length is called but some research might find out. I'm also not sure if Gibson had changed there mesuring system by 1959 or not. Thats if your talking about the 59 Les Paul blueprints. Sorry for all the un-certainsy but I hope this was of help
TBH, I think 6mm (1/4") is too much of a difference. Even with the bridge offset by 3mm (1/8") you shouldn't be getting more than a 3mm difference. If your neck is already fretted, try stringing the guitar and check your intonation to see if it plays in tune. Also, compare it with Stew-Mac's fret calculator to see if your fret slots are at the right distance from the nut. IT could be that the blueprint you have was not drawn to proper scale. Believe me it does happen often on CAD blueprints.
a lot of rulers can be out (easily by 3 mm's maybe even more. find one that is guaranteed to be 100% perfect) also take the scale length measuremeant from the high e string. because it is closest to the actual scale length due to compensation for intonation.

Look into buzz feitens tuning system. i remember it saying something about les pauls having a different measurement from 12th to bridge to the 12th to nut. cant remember for the life of me why though. check it out, im to lazy
It's for compensation. Yes it should be the same on both sides of the 12th fret, but the bridge has to be compensated about 1/8th of an inch to compensate for when you push down on the string
I don't need a signature to tell you I don't need a signature!