Like the title says, I would like some opinions about the difference between the Custom 22 and the Custom 24. I've been checking out Custom 22's specifically recently, since I'm looking for a new guitar and I tried one specifically at Chuck Levins in Wheaton, Maryland. It was a Limited Edition Custom 22 with a single f-hole, making it partially semi-hollow. It had 57/08 pickups which are outstanding pickups, I love them. It also had the McCarty style switching, instead of the rotary which I don't like that much, but it's not a problem if I find a beautiful guitar with a rotary since I can purchase the electronic kit to switch it to the McCarty style set-up.

After trying a bunch of Custom 22's, I decided I should try some 24's. I know about the difference with the position of the bass pickup, but don't know how much that effects the bass pickups tone relative to a 22 fret. The Custom 22 LE I tried sounded amazing, but I'm wondering if I would benefit more from a 24.

A little background first. I play a variety of genre's, such as funk, rock (hard, soft, indie, whatever), metal (although I'm not focusing on that genre for this guitar, so skip it) and I'm getting into some jazzy stuff too. I can't forget alternative, which is probably one of my favorite genres. A few of my favorite bands include Muse, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Incubus, to name a few.

Anything you guys have to say to open my eyes and ears will be appreciated. I play to go out to Chuck Levins to try some more PRS's tomorrow or thursday. Thanks!
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
The hfs bridge pup in the 24 is going to do modern metal a lot better than the dragons in the 22. IMO.

I wouldn't go with a 57/09 for that either.

For the versatility of what you play, the 24.

Edit: just reread the forget the metal part. you'll have to try them. .

Also, the 24 has a wide thin neck, the 22 has a wide fat. There is a reasonable difference there.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jun 14, 2011,
Quote by gregs1020
The hfs bridge pup in the 24 is going to do modern metal a lot better than the dragons in the 22. IMO.

I wouldn't go with a 57/09 for that either.

For the versatility of what you play, the 24.

Edit: just reread the forget the metal part. you'll have to try them. .

Also, the 24 has a wide thin neck, the 22 has a wide fat. There is a reasonable difference there.

Thanks Greg! You wouldn't go for the 57/08 pickups? They sounded amazing from anything to jazzy clean chords to tool riffs in drop D through a Diezel vh4. I know Mike Einzinger from Incubus used a Custom 24 as one of his main guitars in there early days, and I really love his tones. I played 2 Custom 24's in NYC and they both had 57/08 pickups in them stock. Also, I was told the standard neck for the Custom 24 is well, er, the standard haha. The 22 has the wide fat like you said.

I'm gonna try some tomorrow and I'll post some more.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Peavey Vypyr 15w
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
The neck is the main difference. Pickups can be changed, necks can't. The position of the neck pickup on the 24 means it has a slightly brighter tone. If you're looking at second hand models then I think the only thing you should focus on is which neck feels best to you and which isn't beaten up, if you're looking at new Custom 24s though then I think the 22 can't compete. The new 5-way switching on the 24 makes it a lot more versatile which you'll probably find very useful.
Quote by grohl1987
The neck is the main difference. Pickups can be changed, necks can't. The position of the neck pickup on the 24 means it has a slightly brighter tone. If you're looking at second hand models then I think the only thing you should focus on is which neck feels best to you and which isn't beaten up, if you're looking at new Custom 24s though then I think the 22 can't compete. The new 5-way switching on the 24 makes it a lot more versatile which you'll probably find very useful.

Ah, would you recommend the 5-way strat like switching? I have a strat and I actually like the switching system, it's easy and effective. Also I agree with you on the pickup aspect. I'd prefer the 57/08's because they sound amazing for stock pickups. I'm never usually satisfied with stock pickups in a new guitar. I could always replace them with some bareknuckles though, since in my LTD sounds incredible after the switch from EMGs to nailbombs. I think I would be looking for a new Custom 24 if I got one, but if I tried out an amazing used on in store or from craigslist, I'd definitely nab it.

Thanks
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Peavey Vypyr 15w
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
It realy is personal prefrence do you need 22 or 24 frets? The pickups are a little diffrent sounding, The Dragon II's are a more all around pickup combo, while the HFS are versitile they do have more output, so people associate them to harder styles. The necks are avalable in wide thin and wide fat on both the 22 and 24 models, however it is more common to find the wide fat on the 22 and the wide thin on the 24.

I have the CE22 wich is the bolt-on version of he CU22 and it has the 5 way rotary selector. It is nice to have so many pickup options, however the 5 way rotary is not the best for live use. For live p/u switching I prefer the 3 wat toggle with push/pull pots. The 5 way strat switch sounds a little better than the 5 way rotary, but the 3 way is my personal fav.

Any way you go the 22 and the 24 will work amazingly well.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by RocknRory
Thanks Greg! You wouldn't go for the 57/08 pickups? They sounded amazing from anything to jazzy clean chords to tool riffs in drop D through a Diezel vh4. I know Mike Einzinger from Incubus used a Custom 24 as one of his main guitars in there early days, and I really love his tones. I played 2 Custom 24's in NYC and they both had 57/08 pickups in them stock. Also, I was told the standard neck for the Custom 24 is well, er, the standard haha. The 22 has the wide fat like you said.

I'm gonna try some tomorrow and I'll post some more.

the standard 24 got the standard neck profile iirc. most custom 24s have the wide thin and HFS/Bass pups until recently. the newer ones have the vintage type pups. i like the 57/08s myself, it's just not what i would choose for a 24. i mean, why are we putting vintage type pups in an otherwise known for being modern guitar? (is my thought, great guitars, great pups, something for everyone i guess).

if you have a VH4, getting metal out of any of them isn't an issue.

as the other poster said, at that point the neck profile becomes more important.

the thing with the rotary 5 way vs push pull tone pots and a 3 way is with the rotary, the middle position is single coils in series. you can't get that with the push pull and 3 way unless it's set up very non-traditionally.

now from what i understand, the new 5 way strat like toggle is the same as the 5 way rotary in how the pups are wired, so with the new set up you would be able to get singles in series.

that's key to these guitar's versatility, the 22 or the 24. and to me it's what sets them apart from similarly built offerings by the competition.

good luck in the search, can't wait to see what you got to check out today.
Love my 24. HFS kick some butt and the wide thin neck .... Love it
GUITARS:
PRS Custom 24 (Black Slate 10 top w/birds)
ESP E-II Horizon NT-III (RDB)
ESP Eclipse II - Snow White

AMPS:
Mesa Rectoverb combo
Quote by gregs1020
the standard 24 got the standard neck profile iirc. most custom 24s have the wide thin and HFS/Bass pups until recently. the newer ones have the vintage type pups. i like the 57/08s myself, it's just not what i would choose for a 24. i mean, why are we putting vintage type pups in an otherwise known for being modern guitar? (is my thought, great guitars, great pups, something for everyone i guess).

as the other poster said, at that point the neck profile becomes more important.

the thing with the rotary 5 way vs push pull tone pots and a 3 way is with the rotary, the middle position is single coils in series. you can't get that with the push pull and 3 way unless it's set up very non-traditionally.

now from what i understand, the new 5 way strat like toggle is the same as the 5 way rotary in how the pups are wired, so with the new set up you would be able to get singles in series.

that's key to these guitar's versatility, the 22 or the 24. and to me it's what sets them apart from similarly built offerings by the competition.

Thanks Greg I went to the music store today actually, I stayed for a few hours. I tried a Custom 24 off the wall with the HFS pickups, and ended up comparing it to the guitar that was my favorite out of all the ones I tried during my last visit. The guitar I compared it to was this custom 22 limited edition:

http://www.chucklevins.com/prsgtr.asp?wg=10162767

That guitar is very beautiful and sounds deep with clean tones, which I assume the f-hole is responsible for, and has a great crunch to it. It feels pretty good to play too. The first 24 I tried off the wall I wasn't that fond of, so I talked to one of the employee's and he brought me a custom 24 with the same pickups, the 57/08s. This guitar is also very beautiful, and I love the standard neck profile.

http://www.chucklevins.com/prsgtr.asp?wg=10164830

Now I'll compare some things. First off, the clean tones of the 24 were great, a little less bassy and deep, and more sparkling, which I prefer. I'd say overall, I like the humbucker clean tones with the 24 more.

For crunch, light and heavy, they both sounded great, with the 22 seemingly having more mids and gain naturally, which I suspect is due to the f-hole and the fact that the 57/08's weren't made the same everytime. I've read that there can be a big difference between different sets of 57/08s in PRS forums, so maybe that was responsible. At first I thought the 22 sounded better, because it sounded more gainy and mid heavy, but as I turned up the gain with the 24 to compensate, they both sounded rockin.

For single coil tones, the 22 won. The tones produced with the push/pull pot beat the rotary on the 24. The 22 had a deeper, less shrill split tone, while the 24 had the opposite. Do you think if I changed the rotary to a 3-way McCarty style switching with a push/pull pot, I'd get a better/different split tone?

Anyway, tell me what you think about the looks of the guitars, and give me some advice! I think I'm going to wait until I move to Los Angeles in a month to try a bunch of other PRS guitars before I make my decision. If I can't find anything equal or better, I'll order one of the two I was really happy with.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Peavey Vypyr 15w
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Oh, I already googled some things but I was hoping for some personal recommendations. Does anyone know some good guitar stores in Los Angeles or around LA that sell PRS's, particularly 22s and 24s? I'm moving there in a month or so.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Peavey Vypyr 15w
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Quote by gregs1020

i would/did sacrifice the singles in series for buckers in parallel when i went to the 3 way push pull. the bridge HB, HB parallel, neck HB tones are incredibly easy to use live and all sound great. i do a shit ton of channel switching, and i had serious trouble with the rotary. i'd always end up having to just go to the neck hum for cleans cuz i never had time to find one of the single parallel modes. now my primary clean is the middle position, neck for a warmer tone. and its an easy flick to the bridge for brootz
PRS CE22
PRS SE Santana
Fender Spalted Maple Tele
Squier Affinity Tele w.mods
Mesa Boogie Mark IV Combo + 212 Recto Cab
Homemade Ash Bass
BBE Two Timer
DUNLOP Wah
BOSS GE-7
KORG Pitchblack
MXR Dyna Comp

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Quote by Carndawgy
i would/did sacrifice the singles in series for buckers in parallel when i went to the 3 way push pull. the bridge HB, HB parallel, neck HB tones are incredibly easy to use live and all sound great. i do a shit ton of channel switching, and i had serious trouble with the rotary. i'd always end up having to just go to the neck hum for cleans cuz i never had time to find one of the single parallel modes. now my primary clean is the middle position, neck for a warmer tone. and its an easy flick to the bridge for brootz

Thanks for the input, if I do end up getting a custom 22/24 with a rotary, I will have the mccarty style switching put in right away.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Peavey Vypyr 15w
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Quote by RocknRory
Thanks Greg

For single coil tones, the 22 won. The tones produced with the push/pull pot beat the rotary on the 24. The 22 had a deeper, less shrill split tone, while the 24 had the opposite. Do you think if I changed the rotary to a 3-way McCarty style switching with a push/pull pot, I'd get a better/different split tone?

Anyway, tell me what you think about the looks of the guitars, and give me some advice!.

you're welcome. i can't say if the single tones would be "better" wired mccarty style or not. i'd suspect they would be the same honestly. my mccarty, when tapped, sounds like some of the best single coils i've played. it has alnico nailbombz in it though, not PRS pups.

as far as looks, i can't get inside your head. that's all yours.

Quote by Carndawgy

i get that. as i said above, i had a mccarty wired that way and it worked great too. i just have a soft spot in my groin for singles in series. "baby please don't go" never sounded so good, to me.

Quote by RocknRory
Thanks for the input, if I do end up getting a custom 22/24 with a rotary, I will have the mccarty style switching put in right away.

yea if the middle pup selector spot didn't do it for you, there is no reason not to.

also that semi hollow was sweeeeet.

good luck and keep us posted. we demand pics of the final winner.

edit: also, if you are leaning towards a 22, then you should consider a mccarty. mccartys have a slightly thicker mahogany portion to the body, greater neck angle and thinner headstock, making them more comfortable to play, imo. just another thing to consider. also, some mccartys with rosewood necks play insanely nice. (and have a better neck pup tone than the majority of mahogany neck guitars, also imo).
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jun 21, 2011,
Quote by greg1020
you're welcome. i can't say if the single tones would be "better" wired mccarty style or not. i'd suspect they would be the same honestly. my mccarty, when tapped, sounds like some of the best single coils i've played. it has alnico nailbombz in it though, not PRS pups.

as far as looks, i can't get inside your head. that's all yours.

Both the Custom 22 (Semi-Hollow) and the 24 had 57/08 pickups in them, they were just wired different, so maybe because of the the fact that the body styles were pretty different although being similar, it caused the change in split tones, or maybe it was just the wirings too

as far as bareknuckles, I emailed Tim from BKP, and asked when he recommended to me based on my styles and the guitar (Custom 22 or 24). He recommended either the VHII or the Abraxas, which are both part of the vintage hot line-up. People in the forums recommended the Riff-Raff too.

See, I'm real torn between the 24 and the 22 I tried though. I found the semi-hollow 22 first after comparing all the other 22's in my price range and it clearly dominated them all. As for the 24, I compared the 57/08 custom 24 to the semi-hollow 22, through a bogner shiva combo and a diezel vh4 head+412. Both humbucker clean tones were pretty equally beautifully, with each having slightly different characteristics. I thought the 24 won by a hair, but thats barely anything.

With overdriven tones, like I said before I believe, the 22 semi-hollow seemed to have slightly more gain and bite, more mid-range naturally than the 24. This could be because all 57/08s arent wound to the exact specs, along with the semi-hollow nature of the guitar, etc. but I think the 24 had a brighter more aggressive tone, if you will, tone.

Now comparing feel wise, the 22 had a Wide-Fat neck while the 24 had a Regular neck. I preferred the regular over the wide-fat because I wanted something that was in between a strat, and a les paul, which is what he designed the custom 24 to be. I was thinking for a pickup swap for the 24 If I ended up choosing that one because I believe it could get betters tones with mcCarty wiring and some bareknuckles in it.

What do you think I should choose based on my description? I didn't settle on either one because I thought I might be able to find something even better in LA, maybe. If I can't find anything in LA, I'll just order one of the two. It all comes down to the 22's better tone, compared to the 24's better feel, to put it quite bluntly. I can always upgrade the 24's pickups and electronics and HOPE for a better tone, but I can't switch the 22's neck profile and scale length to that of a 24 you know?

They are both beautiful guitars too. Hard choice man!!
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Peavey Vypyr 15w
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
well it's a lot easier to change pups and electronics than it is to change neck profiles. (most people don't want to take a sander to a PRS neck, some do though).

i mean, it has to be comfortable, period.

for what you want to do the abraxas sounds a bit hot but probably would work well. my alnico nailbombs were a little hotter and worked well for what you want to play. and tapped they sounded great. the emeralds look interesting too.

see what LA has to offer though, the more to choose from the better.