Are there any specific exercises for your 3 and 4 fingers?

Besides say doing 1-3-4, because ive been practicing more often and ive been

noticing that seems to be a weak spot for my left hand as 1-2-4 i can do twice as fast

and without my pinky flailing around as soon as my 3rd finger starts doing anything.
You have to work on finger independence. Your third and fourth fingers are attached to the same tendon, so they naturally are more difficult to make independent of one another. Try some Spider Exercises (I think they're on here somewhere in the lessons) to get used to using your ring and pinkie fingers independently.
What I do is doing things like

|---------------1-4-----------|
|---------1-4-----------------|

then

|-----------------1-3-4-----------|
|---------1-3-4-------------------|

then

|-----------------1-2-4-----------|
|---------1-2-4-------------------|

and

|-------------------1-2-3-4-----------|
|---------1-2-3-4-------------------|

and on all of them just focus on not moving your pinky away from the string by much every time. Then, do things like scales and play songs where you incorporate those movements and focus on the same things, but in a more natural playing setting.

Another thing that helped me a decent amount was something I saw on a Guthrie Govan video where he was talking about hammer ons and pull offs. If you can get your hammer ons and pull offs between each interval of fingers to sound as clear as picked notes, you obviously are doing them well, and while doing that isn't really specifying on your problem, I found that it made me pay a lot of attention to individual finger movements a lot and make the movements really fluid.
Last edited by Warrior47 at Jun 15, 2011,
a good exercise is to start 1 and 2 fret up and down strings,then do 2 and 3 then 3 and 4 etc.its a killer exercise
Just come up with a phase / lick that is challenging to those fingers and play it till it is not challenging to those fingers.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
I suggest scales and use alot of hammer-on's and pull-off's...trill's perhaps?
Or do double string bends on e and b strings eg...
|----9---12---15------|
|----12--15---18------|
Good Luck
Too Many Religious People And Not Enough Lions
Quote by austhrax
a good exercise is to start 1 and 2 fret up and down strings,then do 2 and 3 then 3 and 4 etc.its a killer exercise

This is what I do also. With legato. After I'm done with 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4, I move on to 1-2-4, 1-3-4, 1-2-3, 2-3-4 and then the final boss: 1-2-3-4. Basically just all permutations.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
There's tons of exercises that all work, however none really work by rushing through them. Something to keep in mind.
This type of work is most effective when done slowly - training your fingers to stay relaxed and reduce involuntary movements.

check FPs video above. Excellent demo of the fundamental concepts.
This is what I do also. With legato. After I'm done with 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4, I move on to 1-2-4, 1-3-4, 1-2-3, 2-3-4 and then the final boss: 1-2-3-4. Basically just all permutations.

That's not all the permutations. >.>

Try this one legato and you do them all - 121314232434