Hey guys, once I'm done with my finals, I'm going to try to practice for around 5 hours a day. I already have my theory/site reading stuff I'm going to be working on, now I need a good technique building book (like Steve Vai's 10 Hour Workout, but shorter). Any recommendations?

EDIT: Please don't mind me if I sound retarded, I'm running on 4 hours of sleep.
Last edited by schecter ftw at Jun 15, 2011,
Guthrie Govan's Creative Guitar 1&2 !!!!
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by Iommianity
John Petrucci's Rock Discipline. Exactly what you're looking for.

Isnt that a dvd?

Im sorry but I cant help with books. If dvd's are okay, get a rusty cooley dvd.
Great classical guitar technique book is Pumping Nylon by Scott Tennant.
Quote by dmtransmutation
What the Grunge-haters think is just mindless musical nonsense, in reality is the restoration of the old rule of harmony to not write an entire song in one tonality/key
Quote by Shor

+∞

this guy knows what he is saying

Gear
Schecter Jeff Loomis NT (7 string bad-ass)
Esp Ltd Deluxe MH-1000 FR
ENGL Screamer 50
Quote by Rangor6363
If you wanna learn how to play something, first you gotta listen it!

Last.fm
Quote by Shor

TS, do yourself a favor and check out the Creative Guitar books. This series is quite possibly the best on the market right now.
Quote by guitar/bass95
Isnt that a dvd?

Im sorry but I cant help with books. If dvd's are okay, get a rusty cooley dvd.

It's both. The book also has a CD. You don't need it or the DVD though.
Quote by schecter ftw
Thanks guys, I'll check them out. Is there anything I could do to get myself in the right mindset to practice 5+ hours a day?

Just do it.

In addition to the GG books, "The Natural Classical Guitar" is an excellent technique book and also has plenty of info on how to develop yourself mentally as a student and musician.
Quote by schecter ftw
Thanks guys, I'll check them out. Is there anything I could do to get myself in the right mindset to practice 5+ hours a day?

Watch Trainspotting and go through the checklist that Renton does for when he attempts to kick his habit.

You'll need exactly the same items.
Haha guys I'm being serious, how do you prepare yourself mentally to be sitting there playing a piece of wood with strings on it for 5 plus hours! The most I've been able to do was around 4 hours of straight practice, but I wanted to kill myself during and afterwards.
Quote by schecter ftw
Haha guys I'm being serious, how do you prepare yourself mentally to be sitting there playing a piece of wood with strings on it for 5 plus hours! The most I've been able to do was around 4 hours of straight practice, but I wanted to kill myself during and afterwards.

When putting in extensive amounts of practice on a regular basis like that, it's a good idea to utilize some creative visualization in your thinking. Instead of thinking about how much time you're putting in, the slow clicks of the metronome and what you could be doing instead of sitting around woodshedding, think about how your time investment is helping you become the player that you've always wanted to be. Think of each hour that you practice as an investment that brings you closer to the level of playing that you've always wanted to obtain. Think of what the pay off for you work in the present will be in the future.

This book is sorta random (eg. it is'nt the method book of anyone famous) but its pretty cool--bonus, I think it's an ebook. It's called Creative Guitar 1: Cutting-Edge Techniques.

Link
Quote by SmittyBob432
This book is sorta random (eg. it is'nt the method book of anyone famous) but its pretty cool--bonus, I think it's an ebook. It's called Creative Guitar 1: Cutting-Edge Techniques.

Link

LMFAO!
Firstly...this is the first book in the series I recommended above... and you gotta be trolling if you say it's not by anyone famous.
Last I checked Guthrie Govan is fairly well known among guitarists (because that's what we all are, right?)!
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass