My guitar has been tuned to drop D for a while and i've been using 10 gauge strings. The strings i had on until recently were getting pretty old, so i went out and bought some new ones. I got some 11 gauge strings and replaced all the old strings with the new ones. My problem is that i cannot get the bridge to come even remotely close to parallel with the body of the guitar while in drop D. It moves waaaay towards the neck.

So my question is...

How do i keep the bridge level AND get mah guitar in tune??
Adjust the spring tension.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Quote by Robbin'TheHood
Adjust the spring tension.

Tried it. Doesn't work. The bridge still moves away from the body.

edit: I am tightening the springs to pull the bridge down.
Last edited by TractorMan at Jun 15, 2011,
Quote by TractorMan
Tried it. Doesn't work. The bridge still moves away from the body.

edit: I am tightening the springs to pull the bridge down.

You might have to do a full setup if a simple spring adjustment didn't fix it.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Quote by Waylanderau
How many springs do have on there? I've found with heavier gauge strings that sometimes you need to throw an extra spring on to balance things out.

i've got three springs on right now.
If you step it up to 4 springs, you will definitely need a full set-up of the guitar, adjust your neck relief... and likely your intonation as well.

Unless you wanted to switch to 11s, I think its just cheaper to dump the strings, go out and buy 10s. If you're gonna do that, you'll want to loosen the strings and release the tension on the neck.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
What i like to do is to block the tremelo from the inside. I take 6 1.5mm picks and wedge them between the block on the floyd rose and the wall of the guitar. On my guitar, that makes the bridge perfectly parallel to the body. Then I tune my guitar to whatever tuning I want. Then I tighten the springs until the guitar picks fall out of place, turn the guitar over so the picks fall out, then loosen the springs just a tiny bit, and the tremelo is perfectly parallel and in tune. I hope you understood this, because it works very well for me.
Last edited by Baconator1228 at Jun 16, 2011,