Prior to putting flatwounds on, I had factory 10s on. The flatwounds are 11-50 D'Addario Chromes. I've decided to switch back to roundwounds, as I miss having a nice bright end for higher gain music. I'm guessing the best route because of the nut and all would be to go with 11-52 roundwounds. However, would the tension be different, and how much would I have to change in the set-up?

Oh, just FYI, I play a Gretsch Electromatic G5120.
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
.....................there are flat guitar strings?! I'm at a loss for words....

(But seriously, they exist?)
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

This is all very educational, but would you happen to have an answer?

OOOOOOOHHHHHH!!!!! haha, so sorry for sounding like a complete idiot, haha. I was kinda thinking like flat/round shoelaces, and that got me confused. I'm not normally this stupid, but you caught me off-guard, because there isn't that much guitar stuff I haven't heard of.

And I can answer your question a bit, just by common sense. You won't know how much your set up will need to change until you try the different strings. And the tension would be slightly higher, but it shouldn't meet that much of a difference.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

I use the chrome 13s, and I was thinking of switching back to round too lol.

there will be less tension if you switch to daddario nickel round wounds, but really it will only be noticeably less on the g string going from wound to plain.

ETA: you probably wont have to change your setup much at all. I didnt change a thing going from round to flat(although I certainly could have tweaked it), so it should go back the other way just the same.
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
Last edited by kolonelkadat at Jun 15, 2011,
Quote by LoudLove5150
This is all very educational, but would you happen to have an answer?

Yes the tension will be slightly changed, the strings will feel a bit more tight until you get used to them. As far as adjustments, it's pretty much up to your individual guitar. Sometimes there will be no need, sometimes the neck will bow like crazy. Doubt you will need any adjustments to the nut at all, not a very drastic gauge jump.

And for future reference, Google will tell you a lot about this.
For roundwounds, I use Dean Markley Blue Steels. If they had a Blue Steel flatwound, I'd be on that like white on rice

Quote by LoudLove5150
For roundwounds, I use Dean Markley Blue Steels. If they had a Blue Steel flatwound, I'd be on that like white on rice

Hell yes, I use them for pretty much everything, I need to buy a case of them lol. Flatwounds would be sweet.