Alright so I've been playing guitar on and off for about 2 years now, but only recently did I start to delve into developing a bit of fretboard knowledge and learning scales and everything. I play acoustic strictly, I love the sound of it and even if I didn't like it, it's all I've got.
I've learned covers of songs, I play them mechanically almost because I don't know my way around the fretboard. So I've learned the pentatonic scale across the neck in the different keys, but I'm not quite sure where to go next. I'm also self-taught, so I don't have a teacher to guide me.

It seems like the pentatonic scale doesn't play for me well, I watch all these videos of licks and everything and they're all bending and "electric" guitar sounding, which I find just doesn't fit on the acoustic.

I want to play with my own original fingerstyle "voice" eventually, I'm inspired by Andy Mckee, Antoine Dufour, Craig D'andrea etc. Does anyone know a learning path I can take?

Don't just say "Learn your theory in classical and you'll get there eventually" because that is EXTREMELY unhelpful. I need to know in more detail what I need to learn and practice.

And if anything, just point me to some nice sounding licks for the acoustic on the pentatonic scale :P
Thanks!
What he said ^! Blues is the way to go.

I really want to get an Acoustic again now!

Sam
Sooo I should be learning blues licks for the acoustic in the pentatonic scale? Anyone have any good sources for acoustic blues licks?
You mention to want to play fingerstyle. To me, "licks" are more of an electric guitar concept. Are you looking for picking patterns? Look at Mississippi John Hurt tabs here. Most of them are fairly easy and will get you in the country blues direction.
Just learning the pentatonic patterns up and down the neck is a good start, but it doesn't really help you utilize them very much. A good excercise to getting a bit better with using the scales is to follow along to songs you like, determine the key, and then solo over top of it.

There are going to be plenty of times that it doesn't quite sound the way you'd like it to. But trial and error is a shockingly common thing for musicians. Just keep going at it and really pay attention to what you're doing.

From there, I would consider learning perhaps the major scales (shouldn't be too hard since you can just add in the missing notes from the pentatonic scales). Learn some arpeggios and start getting intervals under control. Having a good understanding of thirds and sixths can really help in melody and solo work.
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature