Page 1 of 2
How will putting a Bigsby on my Telecaster affect its tone? Will I lose sustain, or quality of the tone?

Also, what is the best model of Bigsby to go with? I've worked out so far that the B5 and B50 are for Teles, but which is the better option? Would this be acceptable? ****************lSLRpd

I currently have a 3 saddle, non compensated bridge which is going as soon as possible. If the Bigsby isn't worth it, I'll get a standard 6 saddle bridge.

I play indie and post-punk revival, bands like Bloc Party, Two Door Cinema Club, Vampire Weekend, and a lot of Muse.
Fender American Special Telecaster w/ Bigsby
Fender MIM Jaguar
Digitech Whammy-->Korg Pitchblack Poly-->Dunlop Cry Baby-->Danelectro Pastrami Overdrive-->EHX Big Muff Pi-->Joyo Digital Delay
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III Red October Edition
Fender MIM Jaguar
Digitech Whammy-->Korg Pitchblack Poly-->Dunlop Cry Baby-->Danelectro Pastrami Overdrive-->EHX Big Muff Pi-->Joyo Digital Delay
def will change the tone.

better or worse... not sure. that might be a matter of opinion...
---
Do you know what it will do to my tone? If only I had the money to buy a second tele, change it to a bigsby, and then see which I preferred :p
Fender MIM Jaguar
Quote by jeTTa02
Probably less brightness and probably a bit more sustain.

you're adding a pound and a half of metal to the top of you guitar. It actually increases sustain. That being said, I wouldn't do it. It's bad luck.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
I don't know about Telecasters, but I used to have two Epiphone Les Paul Standards, one with a Bigsby and one without. Personally, when plugged into the amp I didn't notice anything significantly different in tone.
It's going to add sustain and low end. The B5 is the USA model, and is the original, though the B50 isn't really that different.
it's "bad luck"?!?

is that some kind of bastardization of the bigsby curse that suggests that the ghost of paul bigsby will haunt you for eternity if you put one of his trems on a telecaster because fender take a lot of credit for things bigsby did first?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Yes, it's bad luck. If you do it the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus will quit coming to your house and then Batman and Superman will track you down and kick your ass.

People that believe in curses and 'bad luck' usually have other mental problems as well...
Quote by Arby911
Yes, it's bad luck. If you do it the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus will quit coming to your house and then Batman and Superman will track you down and kick your ass.

People that believe in curses and 'bad luck' usually have other mental problems as well...

that's an insult to people with mental problems.

but no, really, 100% of people who put bigsbys on their tele die.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Quote by Blompcube
tha

but no, really, 100% of people who put bigsbys on their tele die.

Agreed, as do 100% of people who drink water.
There's very little difference between the B5 & B50. Not enought to make a tonal difference anyway.

Adding the bigsby will definately give you more sustain, but it will cost you a little bit of high end.
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
Quote by Arby911

I'd rather sell my soul to the devil than put a bigsby on my telecaster. Not only because of the curse, but also because I'd probably get better tone.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi

I'm sorry, but that's a clown's guitar. John 5 sooocks...

Do what you want I guess.
No one's stopping yer.
METAL!
Last edited by Ultraussie at Jun 15, 2011,
Yes, because the Bigsby is what makes John 5 weird.

Not the penis headstock, not the pancake makeup, not the number as a last name.

Bigsby.
do it. I plan on throwing a Bigsby on all my guitars, except for my Les Paul. IMO they are the best tremolo system.
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

Quote by Arby911

Bring it! In all seriousness, I don't believe in any superstitious nonsense so that won't stop me.

UG forget that I'd subscribed to this thread, so my reply is a little late... But I think I've pretty much decided that I'll go ahead and do it.
Can anyone see any reason why this would steal my tone http://www.vibramate.com/vibramate-string-spoiler.php

Thanks for all the replies and opinions!
Fender MIM Jaguar
I was just kidding around. I heard it was bad luck but i dunno. Do it though they are pretty awesome.
Apparently this is a signature

Yessir it is
Haha, that's alright mate.
Quite a few people are looking at the forums right now - can anyone else give any advice? Any ideas on the Vibramate String Spoiler?
Fender MIM Jaguar
I took my Bigsby to be fitted today (no way was I going to drill holes into my guitar's face!!!!)

I'll post photos here when it's all done.
Fender MIM Jaguar
Hmm, Tele's don't look good with Bigsby's I don't think. A Les Paul Custom Black Beauty however, looks more badass than any other guitar ever made.
And it's done Couldn't be happier with the mod. I've been bending notes for hours!
Fender MIM Jaguar
nice one

oh, and that's a fender brand bigsby trem, so you needn't worry about the curse

Quote by mark66saints
Bring it! In all seriousness, I don't believe in any superstitious nonsense so that won't stop me.

UG forget that I'd subscribed to this thread, so my reply is a little late... But I think I've pretty much decided that I'll go ahead and do it.
Can anyone see any reason why this would steal my tone http://www.vibramate.com/vibramate-string-spoiler.php

Thanks for all the replies and opinions!

That is really awesome. Vibramate just keep coming up with better and better things.

Love that Bigsby too! Teles with a Bigsby FTW!

Welcome to the club
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
I've had the Bigsby for a little while now and I'm really getting to know it. Not long to go and I'll be doing my first string change with it on!
My only issue so far has been tuning. If I use the vibrato arm a little too much in a song, the string's go way out of tune. Would locking tuners stop this happening?
Fender MIM Jaguar
Actually, I lie.. I've also had an issue with the saddles that it came with. They look like they're just some cheap copies of Jazzmaster/Jaguar saddles, so I may eventually get some Fender USA replacements
Fender MIM Jaguar
I'm just going to give this a little bump because I'd like a reply...
Fender MIM Jaguar
Any trem that isn't a Floyd or a Floyd copy will go out of tune if you use it too much or push it too far. Locking tuners may help but the main thing to check is that your nut is cut properly and that the bridge saddles and any string retainers are clean. Tuning problems with these sorts of trems usually happen because as the string moves it gets snagged on a small piece of rough plastic or metal that wasn't cleared properly when the nut or saddles were first made. If you want to use your bigsby a lot then locking tuners would be smart, upgrading the bridge saddles would be a good idea and either replace the stock nut with a graphite one and put graphite string retainers on instead of the metal ones Fender use or take off the string retainers completely and install a LSR roller nut. Roller nut or graphite nut + graphite retainers + good saddles + locking tuners means you shouldn't go out of tune at all unless you really abuse your trem like crazy.
That's starting to sound like it might cost a bit more than I'd bargained for.. I'll keep it in mind though.
Fender MIM Jaguar
Nah. Locking tuners will be the most expensive part and you can get locking tuners that fit the Fender holes perfectly. If you want to go the graphite nut + retainer root then that's dirt cheap and takes about 15-20 minutes to fit. If you wanted to go the best way and get a LSR roller nut then that is more work since the nut slot has to be widened and drilled to fit it but it's not a gigantic job and most techs should be able to do it for you within a day for a reasonable price. Saddles are the same sort of deal, you can pick up most MIA bridges for less than a pickup costs and they're easy to fit.

This stuff seems hefty but it's basic modding really. Every guitar needs its nut changed eventually regardless. The rest is all straight forward and there's no reason any of it has to be that expensive unless you wanted it all gold plated or something.
I don't ever really have any issues with mine going out of tune.

How often and easily is it going out?

Has it been strung correctly?

Can you link us to those new saddles?
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by diceksox1809
How often and easily is it going out?

As often as once a song, if I use the whammy in a solo. I go pretty hard at it though.
As for stringing, I am yet to string it myself, but it's been strung by my guitar tech. He sets guitars up for a living, so I have complete trust in him.

Quote by diceksox1809
Can you link us to those new saddles?

The ones that I have on the guitar, or that I want?

Can I get a white graphite nut? I've had a little look around, and I could get one from eBay real cheap, but is it actually graphite?

Thanks for the feedback!
Fender MIM Jaguar
Can anyone tell me if breaking a string on a bigsbly causes all your other strings to go out of tune.

Not exactly on topic but it wasn't worth another thread.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Can anyone tell me if breaking a string on a bigsbly causes all your other strings to go out of tune.

Not exactly on topic but it wasn't worth another thread.

all of your strings are likely to go out of tune with a hardtail if a string breaks, it changes the tension on the neck.

you really shouldn't leave a string broken without replacing it for too long, it causes problems
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Page 1 of 2