I want that vintage over driven sound, and since my tweaker is only one channel I need a good OD pedal

I know theres a bunch, But Im looking for the most versatile.

Or one that I could mod somehow to sound like the original version

thanks for any help
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
The TS-808 is the one you want. To convert a TS-9 to a TS-808 you just have to replace two resistors.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
TS9s are $100 new. Get one of those and then do whatever Cathbard tells you to do to it.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Why would you pay more for a clone than the real thing?

IIRC a TS9 is only 150 dollars or so, whereas boutique OD's touch 300 and 400.....

Because the real thing isn't that great?
The TS-9 is $100, has a bad bypass buffer (and switch), and a lot of bass cut. For $50 more, you can have your pick of dozens of clones or near-clones that have better buffers or true bypass, use higher quality parts, have lower noise, a bass response more suited to your taste, or have switches for different voicings.

I don't see how the price of some boutique effects means that they all cost that much, or that they have no advantages over the Ibanez offering. You can get a better tubescreamer all day long on the gear page emporium for $150. Saying that boutique effects cost $400 is like saying Italian cars cost $500,000. Some do, but a lot of them don't. The expensive ones are irrelevant to your argument.
to be honest i would also look at other types of pedals. you want versatility, and a plain ole tubescreamer isnt the MOSTversatile thing in the world. it can do a few things, but id check out the fulltone fulldrive. it has a separate overdrive and boost circuit, a lot of tone shaping options, and sounds really good
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Well, I found a TS9 on craigslist for 60 obo.

How many parts do you have to swap out for ts808 specs?
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
Really?

Quote by Cathbard in the FIRST POST IN YOUR THREAD
The TS-808 is the one you want. To convert a TS-9 to a TS-808 you just have to replace two resistors.
Quote by Roc8995
Saying that boutique effects cost $400 is like saying Italian cars cost $500,000. Some do, but a lot of them don't. The expensive ones are irrelevant to your argument.

man the last time i was in scotland the hire car was a fiat. man that was shite.

obviously that doesn't bear any relation to your point, where i'd agree. the ts is pretty much priced at-or-near boutique prices because it's got the name that everyone wants... rather than because of awesome build quality or anything like that.

I mean, don't get me wrong, even a stock ts sounds pretty good (especially if that's the tone you're going for)... but plenty of other things do too, and if you have the option of something that sounds like a tubescreamer, or the option of something that sounds like a tubescreamer, which can also do different tones too, which is built better, etc. etc.

Yeah.

that being said, this sounds like a question for tgp
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The used market does give the TS an advantage price-wise though. If you don't mind the buffer and can mod it, you can have anything you want in the TS vein for that $60 TS-9 and $20 or less in parts.
what exactly is buffer pedal-wise?
- Carl Sagan
^ basically it converts the signal to the correct impedance (something like that) so that you don't lose the high end with long cables (which can happen with true bypass).

that's the theory, anyway. the problems arise if the buffer is badly designed, or if they start to interact etc.

Quote by Roc8995
The used market does give the TS an advantage price-wise though. If you don't mind the buffer and can mod it, you can have anything you want in the TS vein for that $60 TS-9 and $20 or less in parts.

yep sure
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hmm, what about the GFS greenie pedals? are those comparable to the ts808 at all?
- Carl Sagan
i think it probably is. i think they're based on biyangs, and i have the biyang od8 which sounds pretty tubescreamery to me (based on my recollection of what a ts sounds like, i don't have one to hand).

only concern is the reliability... the biyangs i've had (apart from the od) have been pretty sketchy in the reliability department... and that's with home use, lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Roc8995
Because the real thing isn't that great?
The TS-9 is $100, has a bad bypass buffer (and switch), and a lot of bass cut. For $50 more, you can have your pick of dozens of clones or near-clones that have better buffers or true bypass, use higher quality parts, have lower noise, a bass response more suited to your taste, or have switches for different voicings.

I don't see how the price of some boutique effects means that they all cost that much, or that they have no advantages over the Ibanez offering. You can get a better tubescreamer all day long on the gear page emporium for $150. Saying that boutique effects cost $400 is like saying Italian cars cost $500,000. Some do, but a lot of them don't. The expensive ones are irrelevant to your argument.

So basically, you really arent buying a clone clone?
well if you want an exact 100% clone you can pretty much get that (perhaps bar the buffer, with true bypass instead). But a lot of them are "improved" versions.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A clone is almost never a part for part reconstruction of the original. For really expensive stuff, it's often a way to make cheaper versions, e.g. Ceriatone versions of Dumble amps. For cheaper units, it's often a way to offer a similar sound with better construction.

What I mean in this case is that a "clone" isn't usually a clone at all - it's a little sibling with a better upbringing. Same DNA, but Mom didn't drink through her second pregnancy so this one turns out a little better.
yeah, that's pretty much what i meant except i'm lazy
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Haha, I ended up making a simple boost pedal that has a very nice OD. I couldnt compare it to anything, all I have is a boss sd pedal that suckas ballas

On my tweaker the OD sounds AMAZING on the fender tonestack
- Carl Sagan