Hey guys so have been playing for a bit now 1 and a half years but am getting frustrated with alternate picking..

I am practicing with a metronome at 100bpm at the moment with 16th notes up down up down etc but what i am finding is im unsure if im picking entirely from my wrist.

It seems as though it gets to a speed where i can't physically pick each note (for songs above the 100bpm of course) and im just trying to move my wrist at the correct speed to hit the notes, excuse me if this all doesn't make sense just abit frustrated if it helps i could try post a video in the technique analysis thread..

Lastly i find that when attempting to pick a single note riff such as the opening riff from Charmer by This or the apocalypse I tend to have to try get my wrist going at the right speed and then try follow with the left hand...

Anyway any advice ideas etc will be appreciated
Thanks!
- Cort X-2
- ESP EC-1000
- RGA 121 Prestige VLF
- Roland Cube 20x
- Peavey 6505+ 112
- POD x3
I play a lot of fast single-line bluegrass stuff both on guitar and mandolin, and I find that at some point it becomes picking from the elbow with the wrist relatively rigid.
This is pretty standard technique; Doc Watson and other bluegrass players (who play VERY fast, BTW) do this normally.
If I try "crosspicking" (playing banjo-type rolls with the flatpick), I find that I have a definite speed limit imposed by the necessary picking from the wrist for this style.
It's not standard technique at all, in fact it's exactly what you shouldn't be doing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by gl1tchzz
I am practicing with a metronome at 100bpm at the moment with 16th notes up down up down etc but what i am finding is im unsure if im picking entirely from my wrist.

Practice in front of a mirror and watch.
Quote by steven seagull
It's not standard technique at all, in fact it's exactly what you shouldn't be doing.

Could you elaborate please, thanks
- Cort X-2
- ESP EC-1000
- RGA 121 Prestige VLF
- Roland Cube 20x
- Peavey 6505+ 112
- POD x3
Quote by gl1tchzz
Could you elaborate please, thanks

Picking from the elbow will lead to tendon degeneration. (because the elbow is not constructed for fast micro movements => tension)

Which will lead to elbow tendonitis.

Which will lead to a depression...
Last edited by Larz89 at Jun 15, 2011,
Haha, yeah dont want to be picking from the elbow at all ok guess i will evaluate technique in front of a mirror while playing and if its incorrect will take a metronome and build it back up sigh ;D
- Cort X-2
- ESP EC-1000
- RGA 121 Prestige VLF
- Roland Cube 20x
- Peavey 6505+ 112
- POD x3