Hi again,

So I am currently in the progress of trying to make this a half decent guitar, and I already have a problem. I seem to have sanded too far...

(Pictures) http://www.flickr.com/photos/55080991@N05/

What should I do now? Should I carry on sanding the whole body until it is the same wood as what I sanded right down to? I am afraid I'll sand too far and the neck pocket will be too wide for the neck to fit in. So do I carry on sanding, apply some sealer or something, or just leave it? What grit sandpaper should I use to smooth out the body?

Another question, the headstock needs sanding, so how do I remove the tuning pegs?

Thanks for the help.
Quote by Jason
Ancient scrolls predict that when Fred Durst and Lil Wayne perform a guitar duet while touching the tips of their penises together, the gates of hell will open and swallow us all.

Hehe.

For taking out the machine heads/tuning pegs, just remove the strings and unscrew them at the back of the headstock.

For the sanding, it looks like you've just gone past the varnish it should be fine, but you might want to re-varnish for a perfect finish.
Looks like you've just sanded through the finish. Remember its much easier to do this on the corners/edges. I'd keep going and refinish.

Those tuning pegs look like they have bolts, judging from your pic, so in which case just get a spanner and undo them, and then take out the locating screw at the back. Should fall straight out. Take the string trees off too if your doing the headstock.
Was lacking a decent sig. Still is.
Thanks for the help guys, tuning pegs came off well, and I've sanded the headstock. What should I do to the body now? Seeing as I have sanded through the varnish a little, I guess I need to find something to fill it in/cover it up? Also, what should I do to the sanded headstock now? I'm looking for a nice, glossy finish.
Quote by Jason
Ancient scrolls predict that when Fred Durst and Lil Wayne perform a guitar duet while touching the tips of their penises together, the gates of hell will open and swallow us all.

Hehe.

Last edited by CharlieSlyster at Jun 15, 2011,
ok, i seen your other thread to. it seems you sanded the side of the neck pocket to deep? just curious what you were trying to accomplish by sanding there. you probably want to shim that back into place so you can intonate your guitar, otherwise your scale length would have changed, but your frets stayed the same. which basically means it wont sound in tune anywhere past maybe even the first fret.

cover it with a pickguard maybe? also you probably want to sand all the finish off now, if you want it to be wood grain. if you're gonna paint over it, spray sealer over the whole body, scuff sand, spray the color, then clear lacquer over it. to get a high gloss, use a high gloss lacquer, and then 600-1200 grit wet sand it until the roughness from the lacquer drying is gone (don't go thru the finish again though) and then cut polish, then finish polish, it will look sharp, i guarantee.