Hey there, I have an ESP Horizon NT-7 on the way, so I thought it would be a good time to order some killer strings. On my ESP 6 string, I play using .010-.052, the highest range 7 string set I have seen are GHS with a .060 in the low B string, .46 in the low E etc. Are there any brands who do thicker gauges like a .065 low B string, .052 low E? Or would I have to stick with the .010-.052 6 string set and simply order single low B strings of my choice?
.65 on a B is hella tight, and lots of tension. .52 for a LOW e like a bass E would be mega flabby.

if you're going for B standard I'd just go with 12-52, or 13-56. 13-56 would still be super nice and tight.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Just grab a seperate low B, it's what I do
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
well most 7's have a 52 for the low B, i'd say just get a 54/56 to make it nice and tight, a .65 might be a bit of overkill.
ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Tango616
.65 on a B is hella tight, and lots of tension. .52 for a LOW e like a bass E would be mega flabby.

if you're going for B standard I'd just go with 12-52, or 13-56. 13-56 would still be super nice and tight.

Hmmm interesting. I do use a .052 on the low E on my 6 string, and love it! I will most likely be keeping the 7 string tuned in B standard, maybe .065 is a bit tight though. Is it hard to get whole tone bends with .012/.013 on the high E???
Last edited by Megadeth09 at Jun 15, 2011,
I use a 60 for my low B. It's nice for B, while holds up well for A. 65 might be quite tight, but if you're used to a 52 for the e, it sounds like a 65 would suit you for the 7th string
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Oh I thought you were talking low e as in a bass guitar E, like how some people tune their 8 strings.

52. on your E is very tight, most people go with a 42 or a 45 for their low e's
52. for JUST an e is quite tight, I use 13-56 and I tune to C standard/Drop Bb. and it's quite tight. (25.5" scale of course)
ಠ_ಠ

Quote by pigeonmafia
I use a 60 for my low B. It's nice for B, while holds up well for A. 65 might be quite tight, but if you're used to a 52 for the e, it sounds like a 65 would suit you for the 7th string

Oh yeah, I've been using a .052 on the low E for most of my playing life, it feels awkward when I play someone else's guitar and they have a .042 or(to a lesser extent) .046 in the low E.
well if you're used to .52's for just an E, then by all means, rock a .65 for your B.
ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Tango616
Oh I thought you were talking low e as in a bass guitar E, like how some people tune their 8 strings.

52. on your E is very tight, most people go with a 42 or a 45 for their low e's
52. for JUST an e is quite tight, I use 13-56 and I tune to C standard/Drop Bb. and it's quite tight. (25.5" scale of course)

Oh no no, all my guitars are basically tuned to E standard. I was introduced to .052s on the low E shortly after I started playing, at first was very awkward, but became natural, now I can't play on anything less I rarely ever tune below drop D, usually E standard or E flat. Hence the .010 in the high E(easier bending). Would love to go for a .011 in the high E, but bending would be an absolute killer....
Quote by pigeonmafia

Yeah, I'll look at some separate strings for the low B, whilst using the .010-.052 for the remaining 6 strings. Probably for for something in the low .060 range.
i just buy 6 string sets, then buy separate packs of low B's. i am actually using a .68 right now O: i thought it was a good idea at the time, but it is just a little too thick for me haha. i think at least a .60, but no more than a .65 unless you down tune a lot. i am in drop Ab right now and the .68 is just a little too tough for me on some riffs
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
i just buy 6 string sets, then buy separate packs of low B's. i am actually using a .68 right now O: i thought it was a good idea at the time, but it is just a little too thick for me haha. i think at least a .60, but no more than a .65 unless you down tune a lot. i am in drop Ab right now and the .68 is just a little too tough for me on some riffs

Yeah, I'll just get single string sets off strings by mail, as they ship international for a decent price. Probably go for .064
i think 64 would be perfect for ME. if you can afford it, i would suggest getting a few different gauges. i ordered like 8 68's so im stuck using them til i run out because im broke haha
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Tango616

12's and 13's seems kind of overkill. I know some people like super thick guages but 9's or 10's are usually find for standard.

I'm looking into getting a 7 string as well, so this thread is quite relevant to my interest as I wouldn't know what guage to get for the B string.
Quote by Ignite
12's and 13's seems kind of overkill. I know some people like super thick guages but 9's or 10's are usually find for standard.

I'm looking into getting a 7 string as well, so this thread is quite relevant to my interest as I wouldn't know what guage to get for the B string.

Glad the thread will be of some service to you Most of the off the shelf 7 string sets I saw were not to my liking. Either the low B string was too thin a gauge, or the subsequent higher strings were too thin, or both scenarios. I think I will like the .064 better then the .062 but time will tell.

I would love to go .011 on the high E, but I like bending notes 3 to 4 semitones, so the .010 is a good medium of tone and ease of bends(standard tune).
Last edited by Megadeth09 at Jun 16, 2011,