Hi

I'm after my first effects pedal and I'm going for a decent distortion one. I'm not after a strong 'metal' sound this time, just good distortion. The music sound I'm after is Green Day \ Foo Fighters kind of thing.

I have looked at Boss as it's a name I know. The Turbo Distortion pedal seems to be what I'm after from that range. However, I know there are many on the market but they have damned confusing names (Hazy Muff Cruncher Bucket Thing). Is the Boss any good? Can I do better?

Are there any others I should seriously think about? My budget is up to £150.

If a proposed pedal can do a range of sounds I also like to play Black Sabbath, White Stripes and a little Metallica (for a bit of fun). I appreciate pedals can't do everything though.

Thanks in advance

AshersUK
And used Jcm 800 would be a great investment.

IMHO Boss is less than special. In fact, I would rather have a Danelectro pedal.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
You can do a damnsight better for £150 - however the right pedal is often determined by the amp you're using. Depending on what it is you may need a stand-alone dirtbox or you may simply need something to augment the tone of your amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
A little Ninja stealth trix tells me you have the VOX vt15

That should be able to do what you need just fine.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by steven seagull
You can do a damnsight better for £150 - however the right pedal is often determined by the amp you're using. Depending on what it is you may need a stand-alone dirtbox or you may simply need something to augment the tone of your amp.

+1

heck you can do better for £50 if you ask me (tonerider british distortion is pretty nice for the money).

But as mark says, it's very dependent on what your amp is, what tones you want, etc. etc. etc.

if you have a valvetronix it might make more sense to wait until you can upgrade the amp, or just make do with the amp models on it. I haven't tried it myself (so it might be internet hearsay BS), but modelling amps have a bit of a rep of not working all that well with dirt pedals.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Curses - I've been rumbled! Yes, I do have a Vox VT15 so I can get a range of sounds out of it. I guess I'm curious about using an effects pedal - it seems a lot of fun. I figured I could set the Vox VT15 to one of the 'clean' amp models and then use a distortion pedal.

I do have one eye on the future though as, while the VT15 is great fun and flexible, I suspect I can get better sounds with a more expensive - but simpler amp - and some effects pedals.

No hiding stuff from you guys though Perhaps I should save my cash for soemthing else first.
Quote by AshersUK
Curses - I've been rumbled! Yes, I do have a Vox VT15 so I can get a range of sounds out of it. I guess I'm curious about using an effects pedal - it seems a lot of fun. I figured I could set the Vox VT15 to one of the 'clean' amp models and then use a distortion pedal.

I do have one eye on the future though as, while the VT15 is great fun and flexible, I suspect I can get better sounds with a more expensive - but simpler amp - and some effects pedals.

No hiding stuff from you guys though Perhaps I should save my cash for soemthing else first.

Just keep practicing. Maybe pick up an used JCM800 in the future if you want an amp that can do light stuff, but early thrash with the right pedal.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by AshersUK

i guess that might work (vox set clean and pedal). only problem is you generally want to be looking at the big picture- while there's no reason you can't get a pedal now and then hang onto it when you have a better amp, there's no guarantee that pedal will get on well with your new amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The VT15 does take pedals well enough, but... there's not much of a point in doing it. I've tried a bunch of dirt boxes with a friends Valvetronix and none got me any improvement over the amp's own distortion.
Sounded different? Sure
Sounded better? Nah. Not worse either, but definitely not better. The problems the amp had (muddy high gain sounds) persisted.

So yeah, I'd just skip that and play the VT as is for now. It's not a bad amp, after all.
Alright, thanks for the advice folks. It's not want I wanted to hear (!) but best to have the truth and avoid disappointment
yeah that's the way we work. telling you the truth is better in the long run. at least that way you know what to work towards, and you're not wasting money on stopgap solutions which don't really fix the problem.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I really..

I mean really, REALLY

I can't reiterate enough

How much I want a Hazy Muff Cruncher Bucket Thing
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.