Page 1 of 2
I just got finished watching the documentary "Terry Pratchett: Choosing To Die".

It's a documentary (available on the BBC iPlayer) discussing Euthanasia, and follows Terry as he talks to people from Dignitas, and several people as they choose to go to Dignitas to end their lives on their terms.

It's an incredible documentary, so, so powerful. I heartily recommend it to anyone with an interest in the debate surrounding Euthanasia.

A word of caution though: towards the end of the documentary, you do see a man die of his own choice.

Personally, I'm pro-euthanasia, as I believe that people have a right to die with dignity. I think the problem comes from determining just where the lines are drawn for what constitutes being an acceptable reason for somebody to choose Euthanasia.

Discuss.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
I think it should be legalised, or made illegal for it to be done to animals. Or legalised for humans and made illegal for animals. Ya, I'll go with that one. People are vile, disgusting things.
Quote by WhiskeyFace
Why Terry Pratchett?

He's considering going to Dignitas himself because of his Alzheimer's.
Quote by WhiskeyFace
Why Terry Pratchett?

He has a rare form of early on set Alzeihmers, and believes that Euthanasia should be a choice that everybody can make.

Because of his fame, he's been quite vocal about this, and is an ideal choice to front a documentary such as this.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Try "You don't know Jack". Al Pacino portrays Jack Kevorkian. It is quite good as well.
Originally Posted by happytimeharry
Your avatar is creepy, yet incredibly hypnotic...

I do what I can

Originally Posted by FiNNi
@AlterEdge: On a side note, I laughed when I noticed pedobear was your avatar

Me too... me too...
Quote by Confuse-a-Cat
He's considering going to Dignitas himself because of his Alzheimer's.

WHAT?!

I didn't know of this!
Watched it when it was on BBC2.

I was speechless afterwards. Those people were definitely rational, sane and not being coerced, yet if their friends or loved ones helped them in any way they'd potentially be charged with a criminal offence.

It's ridiculous that they have to go all that way and pay all that money.

I felt for the wife the most. She has to fly back on her own after having her husband die in her arms.

There seems to be this irrational fear that if assisted suicide is legalised, it will result in a cull of the weak and elderly.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Euthanasia is a good thing, i hope its legal in the UK when i (probably) need it. Also, im pro animal euthanasia, if you were a dog living in pain day in day out, you would choose to die naturally yeah?
well, i don't think dying with dignity really exists. it's just a saying to me. it always looks terrible in my eyes. sure, there are worse deaths than others, but they're always on the ugly side.

but i'm pro-euthanasia. the problem with actually legalizing it is drawing the rules, as it is with a lot of issues. some people may just want to die, and might not actually have a physical illness.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by Lemoninfluence
Watched it when it was on BBC2.

I was speechless afterwards. Those people were definitely rational, sane and not being coerced, yet if their friends or loved ones helped them in any way they'd potentially be charged with a criminal offence.

It's ridiculous that they have to go all that way and pay all that money.

I felt for the wife the most. She has to fly back on her own after having her husband die in her arms.

There seems to be this irrational fear that if assisted suicide is legalised, it will result in a cull of the weak and elderly.

I completely agree.

The way that mans wife sat there next to him, and was an absolute rock throughout the whole process.... I don't think I could have been that strong.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by laid-to-waste
but i'm pro-euthanasia. the problem with actually legalizing it is drawing the rules, as it is with a lot of issues. some people may just want to die, and might not actually have a physical illness.

why does someone have to have a physical illness to have the right to die in a non-painful way?

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by laid-to-waste

Is there anything wrong with that?
Quote by Lemoninfluence
why does someone have to have a physical illness to have the right to die in a non-painful way?

I think the problem comes from determining what is classed as "being of sound mind".

Can you classify somebody who is of good health, and has no degenerative conditions, yet wants to die, as being of sound mind?
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by metacarpi
I think the problem comes from determining what is classed as "being of sound mind".

Can you classify somebody who is of good health, and has no degenerative conditions, yet wants to die, as being of sound mind?

People can want to die for whatever reason, I don't think insanity and deep sadness are the same.
die with dignity

No such thing imo.

And I am pro euthanasia. If someone wants to die for whatever reason then why not? It's their choice, and it should be honored.

Quote by metacarpi

Being sound of mind has nothing to do with euthanasia. People say that severe depression does not warrant suicide/euthanasia at a persons own choice are probably people who have never experienced depression.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Jun 15, 2011,
I'm going to watch this tonight, thanks for finding it, bru.

I hope to god I have the option for a painless death. Just to know it's there would make me happy.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Quote by metacarpi

Isn't that why the field of psychology exists?

I won't claim to be an expert, but wanting to live can't really be the only thing defining whether someone is of sound mind.

Quote by Banjocal
Being sound of mind has nothing to do with euthanasia. People say that severe depression does not warrant suicide/euthanasia at a persons own choice are probably people who have never experienced depression.

I disagree with that.

If they're not of sound mind can it really be said that it's their own choice?

Quote by element4433
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Jun 15, 2011,
I'm not sure why it's illegal.

I guess it's more for the assister than the assistee.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
I'm not sure why it's illegal.

I guess it's more for the assister than the assistee.
Yes officer, my wife asked me to shoot her.

She was asking for it!

Legalception.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Quote by Lemoninfluence

I disagree with that.

If they're not of sound mind can it really be said that it's their own choice?

Good point in terms of people with mental conditions that deny them real choice, but I was referring to people with depression in that post. While it is a mental condition, they still have the ability to think for themself.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Banjocal
Good point in terms of people with mental conditions that deny them real choice, but I was referring to people with depression in that post. While it is a mental condition, they still have the ability to think for themself.

But some one with depression can't think rationally, and isn't of sound mind.
I remember doing an essay regarding the ethics of physician-assisted suicide in my 3rd year of uni. Pretty interesting topic and there are valid reasons both for and against its legalisation:

Against
Coercion
Transference/Countertransference
Depression/Delirium
‘Slippery Slope’
Non-Maleficence

For
Autonomy
Beneficence
Dignity
Last edited by steee21 at Jun 15, 2011,
Quote by steee21
I remember doing an essay regarding the ethics of physician-assisted suicide in my 3rd year of uni. Pretty interesting topic and there are valid reasons both for and against its legalisation.

As somebody who's done some research into the subject, would you care to share some of those reasons with us?
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by UraniYum
Yes officer, my wife asked me to shoot her.

She was asking for it!

Legalception.
Well I think the only place it would be legal would be at a clinic of some sorts.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by robhc

That depends on severity. I have depression quite bad, yet I can think rationally. I know what you're getting at, but it isn't as cut and dried as "people with depression are incapable of any rational thought". Anyway, these discussions never come to any real conclusion and take up about 5 pages and 3 hours of my time, so I'll leave it at that.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by robhc

At the most recent time I felt suicidal, I was fully cognizant of my actions, my surroundings, and the effects it could potentially have. I fully accepted responsibility for my actions and was still able to think rationally. I decided against the action, obviously, but still at the time I was extremely sad, but had a right head on my shoulders.
Quote by element4433
Well I think the only place it would be legal would be at a clinic of some sorts.
Still very, very open to abuse.

The amount of proof you'd need that you were willing to die would be impossible. A video will-type thing? Who says the cameraman isn't holding a gun to your head, and you're not the greatest actor in the world?

Faith in the doctors discretion? Declining year by year.

Letters? Even more open to fakes.

I don't see any possible method of judging whether someones quality of life would be improved by death. That said, I'm firmly in favour of these clinics, I just can't see any laws being passed.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Quote by Banjocal
That depends on severity. I have depression quite bad, yet I can think rationally. I know what you're getting at, but it isn't as cut and dried as "people with depression are incapable of any rational thought". Anyway, these discussions never come to any real conclusion and take up about 5 pages and 3 hours of my time, so I'll leave it at that.

As do I. I know for a fact I was not thinking rationally when I got addicted to several drugs because of it, or the multitude of times I've tried to kill myself out of depression. I've made plenty of decisions while depressed I know regret, I could see clearly what the results and consequences of my actions would be. I wasn't able to look forward and see it.
Ok, some people may be able to think rationally while depressed, though from what I've gathered, medically, it's considered the majority can't.
I'm pro euthanasia.Unfortunatly i don't see it as ever being legalized which is why i think everyone should have a hand gun.The way the laws are right now that is the only relatively painless way to die without your family/friends going to jail.
Quote by GuitarGuyNack
I'm pro euthanasia.Unfortunatly i don't see it as ever being legalized which is why i think everyone should have a hand gun.The way the laws are right now that is the only relatively painless way to die without your family/friends going to jail.

There's a whole world of hurt that comes your way very easily with a handgun. There are survivors, and even if you succeed, sometimes it's still a matter of bleeding out. And that would be a very painful 15 minutes - 2 hours you're staring at.
Just finished watching it. I was meaning to get round to it anyway, didn't realise it was up already.

Very interesting watch.
I'm pro-euthanasia, but dissapointed that the programme didn't look a little more into the legal side of it. I do understand why they avoided doing so though, this was just to get people thinking and to show what happens.
If a person can think clearly, let the person choose.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
My country thinks that your country is way behind.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Page 1 of 2