Heey

So basically a friend of my mine came up with a song that is kinda of groovy, and asked me to write some lead guitar for it, nothing too fancy, just a few riffs and things to enhace it.

Too bad i dont really know that much of music theory or writing riffs that fit to the song, so what should i do? Being the song in E minor, should i get some Em scale and use thoose notes to come up with riffs? Is that how it works? Other suggestions?

Thanks a lot!
Get some Em-scale and use thoose notes to come up with riffs. That'll do you good.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
You could just improvise over the song and find something you think is cool. That is the way I usually create riffs.
Vision is the art of seeing things invisible to others.
Quote by Elvenballer
Too bad i dont really know that much of music theory or writing riffs that fit to the song, so what should i do? Being the song in E minor, should i get some Em scale and use thoose notes to come up with riffs?

The E minor scale is a good place to start. Since you're new at this, maybe try the E minor pentatonic. What's really important, however, is to emphasize the chord changes with your riffs/solos/melodies. I know when a lot of people start trying to write/improv, they just try to randomly play the appropriate scale over the progression/phrase and end up with results ranging from god awful to 'meh.'

So first step: learn the chords that you'll be playing over. Even if there's no other guitar pounding chords or running arpeggios, there is an implied harmony. The less obviously stated the chords are, the more leeway you have when interpreting.

Second step: know what notes make up the previously mentioned chords. Use this to guide your playing. You don't have to stick just to chord tones or even working directly between them, but if you don't use them at all, your ideas will come out sounding less coherent or out-of-key.

Third step: before you even THINK about playing...listen intently to what is already there. Feel it. Try to hear in your head what you want to do. You're new at this, so translating from your mind to you guitar will be difficult, but you'll probably get somewhere in the ballpark and have something to start to work with. Anyone who tells you "just noodle around" should be shot dead.

There's a lot I could say on the subject, but I find it's best to not overthink things and take it one step at a time. If you get something you like, you should share it with the rest of the class.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
e|------s15---12--------------------------|
b|-------------------15-------------12-----|
g|----------------------------12------------|
d|-------------------------------------------|
a|-------------------------------------------|
e|-------------------------------------------|

b|-------------------------------------------|
g|-------------14----12-------------------|
d|--------------------------14v------------|
a|---12h14--------------------------------|

are theese correct at least? like, as far as i can understand its inside the notes of the pentatonic e minor.

thanks!
is it allowed to bump threads here? anyway, can anyone answr that last question? its all i need to know to kinda of move on and keep writing
Yes that lick would work, as would any notes from the E minor scale.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud