Poll: Do you support the "hacktivists" ?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you support the "hacktivists" ?
Yes
24 30%
No
33 42%
I don't even know how to use a computer
22 28%
Voters: 79.
Page 1 of 2
Do you agree with their causes? Their methods of doing so?
I don't quite understand what is going through the minds of the two groups (particularly LulzSec). All of these recent DDoS attacks and security breaches in my opinion have no warrant and are just for rampant chaos. Don't they understand with recent government propositions of internet regulation they are just giving them more evidence and incentive to do so?

Discuss
They are probably doing it in response to those government propositions. Soon we will probably need tor just to go on 4chan.

And I'm not sure. The PSN thing wasn't cool. Meh. I don't really have an opinion on them.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
inb4 'Little wankers. The whole lot of 'em.'
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Last edited by laid-to-waste at Jun 15, 2011,
Little wankers. The whole lot of 'em.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
I think they needa grow up and get out of their parents basements.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Quote by vicarious46

This.

Inb4 "They're popular intellectuals with degrees in computer science"
Even if they are just doing it because they are immature, it still might give these companies motivation to plug in the security holes and all that.
Fighting for our freedom of information by abusing their freedom of information. Great.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

I'll quote my post on this topic from another thread.

Quote by strat0blaster
"Man, we sure are showing the world by shutting down online multiplayer! Look at our global impact!"

Lulzsec is what happens when you have no power in or control over your actual life, and need to exert your powerlessness somewhere without real world consequence.

That's my opinion on this. They're affecting no change and doing nothing useful with their skills. They may as well not waste their time. They could be doing something impacting with their abilities, but instead they've debased their skills to adolescent entertainment so they can LOL while nobody can play Call of Duty.

I guess in short, I support any activists with a good cause. Lulzsec is not this. They're not even activists, so no.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Last edited by strat0blaster at Jun 15, 2011,
Quote by cubs
this is a poorly made thread.

well, you have a poorly made face

inb4
Quote by laid-to-waste
inb4 'Little wankers. The whole lot of 'em.'

Quote by the bartender
Little wankers. The whole lot of 'em.

Quote by Lost Dog
This.

Inb4 "They're popular intellectuals with degrees in computer science"
Quote by guitar12
They're popular intellectuals with degrees in computer science

My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by guitarxo
I don't think they do it because of the government
they just do it for the lulz

and many lulz were had.

OT, I'm indifferent to the situation.
Quote by strat0blaster
I'll quote my post on this topic from another thread.

That's my opinion on this. They're affecting no change and doing nothing useful with their skills. They may as well not waste their time. They could be doing something impacting with their abilities, but instead they've debased their skills to adolescent entertainment so they can LOL while nobody can play Call of Duty.

I guess in short, I support any activists with a good cause. Lulzsec is not this. They're not even activists, so no.

Totally agree with this. I have absolutely no respect for them.
They do a good job showing everyone how incompetent major companies are when it comes to net security, that's for sure.
Meh. I'm not on any sides here. I don't support them, and I don't necessarily hate them.

In other words,

Quote by cubs
this is a poorly made thread.
Quote by laid-to-waste
well, you have a poorly made face

inb4

inb4 BAN

Quote by KnownUnknown

How so?

because i have no idea what you're on about. your first sentence is "Do you agree with their causes? Their methods of doing so?". i don't know what their causes are nor do i know their methods of doing so. i don't live in the US anymore and the only place i've heard of these groups is in a thread i read yesterday here. my knowledge is limited and you can't expect your readers to automatically know what you're getting at. what recent government propositions of internet regulation? what government are you talking about anyway? there's more than one: i'm in mexico at the moment and last month i was living in france. if you wanted better responses you could have given us some background information. you didn't even provide some links for the unfortunate ones like me, leaving me with a little sad face because i feel left out.

but yeah w.e. i'm bored, this is the pit and i'm not an English teacher (i do mod Songwriting & Lyrics though ).
Quote by vicarious46

Why does everyone assume this about people who are real good with computers?

Anyways the day they hack Steam is the day I cry like a little bitch.
Quote by cubs
inb4 BAN

c'mon, cubzie, you know i love you and your disfigured face
Quote by metaldud536
Why does everyone assume this about people who are real good with computers?

Anyways the day they hack Steam is the day I cry like a little bitch.

Because obviously you can't be good with computers unless you're an unemployed toolbag who can't take care of their own finances.

Honestly I'm not sure where the stereotype came from, but it's almost always untrue.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Because obviously you can't be good with computers unless you're an unemployed toolbag who can't take care of their own finances.

Honestly I'm not sure where the stereotype came from, but it's almost always untrue.

south park
Quote by strat0blaster

Well I'm sure it's backwards with the people who create operating systems. The nerds live in mansions with the parents kept in the basement.
Quote by metaldud536
Well I'm sure it's backwards with the people who create operating systems. The nerds live in mansions with their parents in the basement.

It's definitely one of the best paying professions at this point, so I don't really know why the stigma is around when there wasn't a whole lot of basis for it to begin with.

Someone probably saw it in a movie and decided it was insulting, then went on to use it. Most things in pop culture come from lame American cinema - especially sayings

Quote by laid-to-waste
south park

No, I was hearing this years before South Park was even on air. But that episode was hilarious

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by cubs

you didn't even provide some links for the unfortunate ones like me, leaving me with a little sad face because i feel left out.

My bad , I just assumed that if you frequent these forums you'd pick up on it.
Quote by strat0blaster
No, I was hearing this years before South Park was even on air. But that episode was hilarious

oh, then it probably started with star trek. all i would see on the internet was about trekkers living in their mom's basements.
I've never heard much about LulzSec (ain't many crazy hackers in the UK), but from what I have, I think they're just a bunch of immature nerds. I mean, sure, hacking for the lulz is a perfectly acceptable idea, but bringing down servers just for the hell of it is kind of retarded.

Anonymous, on the other hand, is a different matter. They at least have some political motivation, even if it is occasionally questionable. I agree with some of their do-things-right freedom-fighting-vigilante ideals (eat your heart out, Che) but I don't always agree with the things the choose to apply these policies to, or even if they apply these policies at all. If they want to go around hacking big bad international corporations with reason and incentive to do so then good for them, but if all they want to do is act like naive idiots, then screw them. Sometimes is seems like they have an identity problem.

However, seeing as Anonymous is only a group in the loosest sense, perhaps it only has an identity problem in the fact that it doesn't have an identity.

On the face of it, I think they're clever but naive.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
I wonder if you get more out put if you wire a battery to your penis.
Last edited by NeutralFan at Jun 15, 2011,
You only know about the Sony hack because that's all you care about. Anon (maybe Lulzsec) does a lot for the efforts in Libya and other countries with civil unrest. They work with Wikileaks, and just because they're assholes and made you not play Blops for a month, doesn't mean their cause isn't justified.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
LulzSec is okay. Anon... can't say stealing, or at least enabling others -- be it among them or not -- to steal user information justify their cause, if any at all other than malice.

Quote by brandon369852
You only know about the Sony hack because that's all you care about. Anon (maybe Lulzsec) does a lot for the efforts in Libya and other countries with civil unrest. They work with Wikileaks, and just because they're assholes and made you not play Blops for a month, doesn't mean their cause isn't justified.

If everyone in ther organization were so benevolent. Stealing user info and credit card numbers however, does not exactly sound like its for a just cause.
Last edited by GisleAune at Jun 15, 2011,
Quote by GisleAune
LulzSec is okay. Anon... can't say stealing, or at least enabling others -- be it among them or not -- to steal user information justify their cause, if any at all other than malice.

If everyone in ther organization were so benevolent. Stealing user info and credit card numbers however, does not exactly sound like its for a just cause.

Whoa whoa whoa, lets get some things straight. The hacker collective Anonymous did NOT do the second hack and did not steal any information. They DDoS'd Sony websites the two weeks prior. And that's it. The person(s) responsible for the attack that stole information claimed to be "anonymous" but they were not a part of the IRC nor the collective that took down the websites the week before.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
the point is that Anonymous can't really be said to "support" anything or anyone. Sure, some of them helped Assange, but a lot of them were also against him and supported his arrest. Anonymous isn't a "group" as such, but a meme, as Wikipedia puts it ( ). "They" can't really be called "they" because they don't exist as a group and don't act as one. They are a disorganised bunch with wildly differing views and opinions, which is why they can't really be honestly entirely supported or derided by anybody. A lot of people seem to misunderstand Anonymous.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
I wonder if you get more out put if you wire a battery to your penis.
Quote by brandon369852
Whoa whoa whoa, lets get some things straight. The hacker collective Anonymous did NOT do the second hack and did not steal any information. They DDoS'd Sony websites the two weeks prior. And that's it. The person(s) responsible for the attack that stole information claimed to be "anonymous" but they were not a part of the IRC nor the collective that took down the websites the week before.

Okay, I stand corrected; pardon my ignorance.
Page 1 of 2