At least in my case. A month ago I asked if more humidity made a guitar sound better. Most said no, it makes it sound more muddy. Well I am confirming that is not true in CO where humidity during the day can be 15 - 20 %. Two nights it got very humid almost to the point of raining (60% I am guessing). When I picked up the guitar (all solid spruce/rosewood Silver Creek D170) in the morning, as I had previously experienced, it sounded so much better. Fuller & richer. BIG difference. I was thinking of selling it because normally it sounds brittle & dull (as it is normally dry in CO). It amazed me what a difference the humidity makes. Now it is a toss up as to whether I will sell it....or I could always move back to the east coast Just figured I would pass this info along.
That is the point. In a dry climate the guitar will dry out which affects the sound in a negative way so when it is humid it restores some moisture and it sounds better. In a humid climate, when it gets more humid it also affects the guitar in a negative way so it sounds muddy (as per other forum members). So unless you live in an area that is well balanced @ 45 -50% humidity or control your environment, you will hear fluctuations in the tone of the guitar when it goes to the extremes of high/low humidity. I am sure this will vary depending on the wood, age & quality of the wood.
I think the real point is that you should humidify your guitar. You can achieve that 45-50% humidity inside a case and have a guitar that sounds like that all the time.
The ideal humidity for most acoustic guitars is between 40% and 60%. When the humidity drops too much it hurts tone. When it's too high that hurts tone too. The "best" humidity will depend on the guitar and the humidity of the shop where the guitar was built but it's always a good idea to stay between 40% and 60%. If the humidity is too far from the "ideal" range it can damage your instrument. It doesn't matter if it's too low or too high, they can both cause damage.
Not taking any online orders.
the point is that you should never let your guitar get down to 20% humidity. guitars sound better at 35% humidity than overhumid, but the level of dryness you're talking about is extreme, and will eventually crack the guitar.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
another thing to think about is that sound waves travel differently in more humid air than dry air due to the density. Humid air is much more dense than dry air which is probably why it sounded better.
OK maybe I should have been a little more specific in my explanation. I am aware that the guitar needs to be humidified. The point being a month ago I asked what was a guitars reaction in terms of low humidity & tone and would added humidity improve that tone which is what I was hearing. Everyone one said higher humidity made it sound muddy but no one had info on a tonal difference for low humidity. I said I would check it out & report back which is what I did. Low humidity has an affect on tone which I had experienced but said I would confirm as I just did. Now admittedly, having 5 acoustic guitars, 1 acoustic bass, 10 electric guitars & 1 bass, I can be a little lazy with putting the guitars away properly. But this was an intentional experiment as no one had an answer to my original post about dryness affecting tone. I will however be more diligent with the solid wood acoustics in the future, especially now that I have ordered a Blueridge BR 160A. Maybe a room humidifier is in order.
I did not even think about the density of the air as humidity changes & how the sound waves travel differently. That is a good point. Thanks.