Hi All,
As the title suggests.... I used to use a multifx board GT-3 and I have no problem on stage because I can preset all the patches and just hit 1 -5 or whatever bank.

But since then, I've moved away from the multieffects unit and built my pedal board.

Pretty simple one with Jekyll & Hyde, Boss DD9 and a clean boost.

My question is, how do I quickly adjust different settings for different songs I play on stage?

I mean, sometimes, there is enough time to fiddle with your pedals but sometimes, you don't have time to change any setting at all..

How do you guys deal with that?

Thanks in advance!
A lot of tap dancing and quick hands.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
theres this long thick Y shaped plastic things you can put on the knobs of most pedal and it makes them easier to turn with your foot , i forget the name but i think thats really the only closest option
Epiphone Dot Cherry red
Fender Standard Stratocaster black 1980s model
Epiphone EJ-200CE Natural
Telecaster Fender custom
Roland Micro Cube
Fender Hot Rod DeVille
orange tiny terror
if you cant, you cant. there really isnt any magic that i know of. perhaps find more neutral settings for live that can suffice for several songs or order your songs so that you can play several in a row without changing them? maybe hire some of gnome to sneak in and change them when need be?
find the settings you are going to use and write them down. something like this

distortion: tone=1/2 gain=1/4 volume=1/2

do this for each pedal and label what sound you get out of that set up of the pedals. keep the list with you and once you do it enough it will be 2nd nature. also having a singer thats great with the crowd getting them pumped up between songs and being able to drag doing that out long enough for you to change helps.
Do you mean like....changing the type of delay during a song? You only need one type of delay per song, I mean, hearing a delay at one setting then the next verse has a delay at a different setting is just trying way to hard.

If your having to go from high to low gain, make use of your volume knob on your guitar, set your highest gain you plan to use, and then find a good spot to adjust your guitars volume to for the lower gain stuff, and just roll it up when you need more gain.

Other than that, just have all your setting memorized so you don't have to think about it, just do it.
What you want is a "Bradshaw unit". Bob Bradshaw is the king of this stuff. He builds custom electronics that allow you to assemble analog stomp boxes in various groupings and then control them with an on stage footswitch. So one footswitch button can turn effects 1,3, and 4 on, and turn effect 2 off. Another stomp switch can switch them all on or all off. Another can switch 1 and 2 on , and 3 and 4 off. Another can turn effect 5 on or off, and leave everything else unchanged. That kind of stuff. It's actually easier these days to get a digital all-in-one that handles that programmatic type of stuff. But if you want programmatic control of your analog stomp boxes, you want a Bradshaw. This guy has outfitted top rock artist stage setups, especially guitar stomp box enthusiasts. I think he's still kickin' it at a site called customaudioelectronics.com

Bradshaw units have been around a long time. This is like 1990's.

A much cheaper solution is the Boss Line Selector. Not nearly as flexible as a Bradshaw, but simpler and much less expensive.
Last edited by joesix at Jun 15, 2011,
Thanks for the advice so far!

I've also found that I run into cases where I need to change my delay settings in mid song...
say if the verse is really quiet and I need some dreamy delay sounds, then swap to some kind of solo delay settings when that comes by in the song, how do you manage that kind of quick setting??
Quote by timelessx

I've also found that I run into cases where I need to change my delay settings in mid song...
say if the verse is really quiet and I need some dreamy delay sounds, then swap to some kind of solo delay settings when that comes by in the song, how do you manage that kind of quick setting??

Like GS Lead 5 said, get multiple pedals with the same effects, and switch 'em in and out, i.e. 2+ Distortions, 2+ Chorus, 2+ Delay, etc.

Or alternatively get a lackey to do the fast settings switch, you can also use them as a footstool for one foot while you break into the lead, or to bring you water (or your favorite on stage poison) while not needed for pedal board settings duties. The added advantage of the lackey is, they can take the fall if your sounds all wrong.
Quote by timelessx

you could find something the works for both or get a second pedal. imho adjusting the delay settings during a set is one of the harder ones to tune properly, but that might just be me since I tend to want my delay to be pretty much exact if I'm bothering to change it for two different parts....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Put your pedals behind the amps/equipment and have some else control them; worked for Dimebag.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.