Hi, I am torn. I currently have a Blackstar HT-1R which I use as a practice amp, but I also have an old Crate Blue Voodoo 120 head and matching Vintage 30 4X12.

I usually am just a bedroom guitar player but sometimes jam with friends and am thinking about getting in a band (being a fulltime student it's not a priority right now). I'm considering selling the Crate stack to get something smaller that I could use at home but also be loud enough to play with a band and possibly small gigs. I can't turn up a 100w amp at all living in a townhome so it seems pointless to have something so big and not even be able to use it to hit its sweet spot. I use a Digitech GSP1101 right now with the Crate and am also considering selling that as my tastes have changed over the last few years and I prefer the raw sound of amps without digital interference.

So, what I am asking is should I sell the Crate stack and get like a 1X12 or 2X12 combo amp in a 40-80w range? I want an amp with great raw distortion with thick leads and nice slightly overdriven cleans that can be manipulated well with the guitar's volume knob. I've been looking into the Marshall Vintage Modern and some of the Blackstar stuff and it sounds so much better than my Crate with the Digitech presets. I should also say I do not live near any decent music shops so testing stuff out is not really possible besides watching Youtube videos.

Anyways, sorry for wall of text. Let me know what you think. I bought the half stack 10 years ago from Megadeth when they were selling old gear on through their website, so that is another reason I'm having a hard time letting go of it - Friedman played through it!
Last edited by KingV911 at Jun 15, 2011,
If you go for a tube amp, 30W is enough. Maybe check out the Vox AC30? Vintage Modern has some great tones (but i've never heard the combo version).

Now about selling the half stack... You're not using it, so why not? It's not like you're used to having a massive sound (typical of a 4x12), so you won't miss it...
If your needs have changed then yes I would suggest selling your half stack and getting a smaller amp. However, if you intend to play in a band you may need that extra wattage later down the road if you get some decent sized gigs. If it was me I would just go buy a smaller amp that sounds good rather than selling all my big stuff. You can get some decent smaller amps at a pretty good price. The last route would be to just keep the volume down on the amp you have now. Yes I know it needs to be cranked to sound good, but turning it down doesn't cost you anything.
id say get an orange tiny terror 30watt head with a small cab. you cant go wrong with orange.
whoa whoa whoa whoa wait what? you bought it from megadeth? WHY WOULD YOU SELL IT ?!
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote by EJD
Reminds me of that drunkard who ran out of beer... he was so desperate, he drank furniture polish.

He came to a horrible end... but a beautiful finish.
Quote by matt360
whoa whoa whoa whoa wait what? you bought it from megadeth? WHY WOULD YOU SELL IT ?!

Just because it came from Megadeth doesn't mean it sounds amazing to him, maybe he just wants something smaller, but still with good tone.

If anything, him owning it after buying from Megadeth should allow him to raise his asking price a little.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
A used ENGL Screamer 50 combo would be excellent, tbh.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Quote by Tango616
Just because it came from Megadeth doesn't mean it sounds amazing to him, maybe he just wants something smaller, but still with good tone.

If anything, him owning it after buying from Megadeth should allow him to raise his asking price a little.

Yes, I'm more interested in the tone than the novelty of owning an amp of Friedman's. Besides, I don't actually have proof anymore that he owned so to anyone else that probably isn't enough. They shipped it to me in a box that had the old SHIP TO label on it which said "TO: Some Stadium c/o Megadeth" which was kind of cool, but I lost that through the years. Since I do not have endless supplies of money bags I have to choose one thing over the other; of course, I'd like to keep it as well.