Mastering Audio by Bob Katz and, more recently, Mixing With Your Mind by Mark Stavrou are my books bibles for audio-related shiznay.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
the books by mixerman are an interesting read.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Not a book per se, but Recording Magazine is very good. I subscribed to it for probably five years. www.recordingmag.com

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
There's also "Guerrilla Home Recording: How to Get Great Sound from Any Studio (No Matter How Weird or Cheap Your Gear Is)", by Karl Corvat. It's aimed at, well, us bedroom recorders who're trying to get good tones out of a Spider III and a Rock Band mic.
Quote by DiveRightIn63
the books by mixerman are an interesting read.

Damn, beat me to it. Art & Zen Of Mixing is interesting and very different. Changed my style of mixing quite a bit
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Yamaha published one called something along the lines of, "Sound Engineers Reference Book". Something like that. It's black with white text and "Yamaha" repeated multiple times in the background.

It is very technical. I'm going to buy it when I get the spare money.
I don't think it's really something you'd read front to back. It's something that you read when you need to know something specific.
I plan on reading mine front to back and doing self-tests to ensure I know the material. That's just me though.
..I was watching my death.