Page 1 of 2
Really want a new guitar and I'm not sure if I should get a LP or a Stat. I don't have a very high budget so it's going to be replica. I'll be getting a Vintage, they're a very good brand over here in the UK (I'm not sure if they sell in the US.) I like both guitars and have had a go with both and I still can't decide which one I should get. I like the tone of both and how they feel, but I already have an SG with similar pickups to the LP, but the LP still sounds different.

What do you guys think?
The models in question are the V6 and V100
What type of music do you play?
Quote by Jason
Ancient scrolls predict that when Fred Durst and Lil Wayne perform a guitar duet while touching the tips of their penises together, the gates of hell will open and swallow us all.

Hehe.

judging by your favourite guitarists, i'd go with Les Paul.
PRS CE22
PRS SE Santana
Fender Spalted Maple Tele
Squier Affinity Tele w.mods
Mesa Boogie Mark IV Combo + 212 Recto Cab
Homemade Ash Bass
BBE Two Timer
DUNLOP Wah
BOSS GE-7
KORG Pitchblack
MXR Dyna Comp

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
both would do...maybe an HSS strat?

i suggest you go try them out. that will give you an answer most likely
Quote by Carl_Berg
Neither. Be creative and look up guitars that you like personally.

maybe he does like them...god know i do
Quote by Carl_Berg

This.

But if the Les Paul and Strat are guitars you like, I'd personally go for the Les Paul because of its humbuckers.
Isn't it a pity?
Now, isn't it a shame?
How we break each other's hearts,
And cause each other pain...

"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it." - John Lennon
what is your budget exactly? what types of music?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Carl_Berg

Yuh totally. I have this guitar made out of a tin can with bits of dental floss on it as the strings. It's like, sooo underground.
My favourite music to play is a mixture of everything, it depends what mood I'm in at the time. But usually it's rock, blues that sought of genre. But when I practice I love to improvise and Strats do it differently than SGs and LPs. And what HSS strats are there available?
Quote by ukmrsimuk
My favourite music to play is a mixture of everything, it depends what mood I'm in at the time. But usually it's rock, blues that sought of genre. But when I practice I love to improvise and Strats do it differently than SGs and LPs. And what HSS strats are there available?

quite a few...the standard, the lonestar, the blacktop and some others which ive missed

if youre tight on money i suggest the standard
The answer is Tele, always. Just try every guitar you possible can, and choose your favorite. Pretty simple.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Look for a HSS strat.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Split the difference. Vintage make a Strat that has three stacked P-90 pickups with a coil split. So you can have the warmer and louder tone of the hum-cancelling P-90s or you can split them down to get a brighter more vintage P-90 tone. It'll always be a little more powerful and a more rounded tone than the regular Strat sound wil be but it will also always be a more lively and open tone than the Les Paul will be. Plus it's part of their advance range which is better quality but only costs something like £40 or so more than the regular Strat they make.
the strat is much more versatile, that would be my choice.

if you do go for a LP, make sure it has a set neck. most budget ones are screwed on. the set neck is one of the main things that gives a LP it's characteristic sound.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
If you play blues, get a strat, if you play distorted rock, get a les Paul, Check out the Vintage Peter Green lemon drop, sounds great!
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Cherry Sunburst
Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB anf SH-2 Jazz
Marshall 100w
A very wise man once said, "Strats are for sissies and sailors, and you don't look like the boat owning type to me"

That man, was me.

Jk jk. That's just the Gibson fanatic in me speaking. Obviously, I'd go for the Les Paul. But really, it all depends on a numerous amount of things. Most of which have already been mentioned.

(just get the lp!) <- I'm sorry, don't listen to him. Go with your heart or whatever.
Last edited by robertsanidiot at Jun 16, 2011,
jeff beck said les pauls were pussy guitars.

yet he has a signature les paul.

that said, the necks on both are vastly different. thickness, width, radius, etc. one will feel better to you than the other. take that one.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020

that said, the necks on both are vastly different. thickness, width, radius, etc. one will feel better to you than the other. take that one.

maybe jeff beck thinks hes a pussy?

seriously though he does have to try both of them out
Quote by '93
maybe jeff beck thinks hes a pussy?

seriously though he does have to try both of them out

i thought he said in the OP he'd already tried them both.

if you're looking for something a bit more different to your SG that will give you a wider range of tonal colours i'd say go with a strat, because though they are different, the les paul and SG are pretty similar guitars that have their own distinct ways of doing the same kind of job musically whereas a strat would give you a wider range of different tones to play with.

But you might not necessarily want something too different to what you already have? basically, it depends on what you want, and only you can decide that.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by gregs1020

Yeah, but Gibson also has a Jimi Hendrix* and an Eric Clapton signature, while Jeff Beck has had two signature Stratocasters and a custom shop tribute.

*(I mean the 2006 Flying V, not the 2009 Strat copy)
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
I've heard better things about Vintage strats than the Vintage Les Pauls, personally.
You'll still want to try both out though.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by ukmrsimuk
Really want a new guitar and I'm not sure if I should get a LP or a Stat. I don't have a very high budget so it's going to be replica. I'll be getting a Vintage, they're a very good brand over here in the UK (I'm not sure if they sell in the US.) I like both guitars and have had a go with both and I still can't decide which one I should get. I like the tone of both and how they feel, but I already have an SG with similar pickups to the LP, but the LP still sounds different.

What do you guys think?
The models in question are the V6 and V100

Ive got the V6 in black and gold and its a really nice guitar, better that Epiphone equivalents in my opinion. Great neck and electrics too.
Quote by kangaxxter
Yeah, but Gibson also has a Jimi Hendrix* and an Eric Clapton signature, while Jeff Beck has had two signature Stratocasters and a custom shop tribute.

*(I mean the 2006 Flying V, not the 2009 Strat copy)

buncha pussies.

well if both felt fine, then a strat would get the TS a bigger tonal range, as would a tele.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jun 16, 2011,
The HSS strats are still thin sounding compared to a Les Paul. I own 2 LP's and my vote is definetely a LES PAUL
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Quote by madh4ttr
The HSS strats are still thin sounding compared to a Les Paul. I own 2 LP's and my vote is definetely a LES PAUL

he might want a thinner sound to contrast against the thick sound he probably is already getting from his SG
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Quote by grohl1987
Split the difference. Vintage make a Strat that has three stacked P-90 pickups with a coil split. So you can have the warmer and louder tone of the hum-cancelling P-90s or you can split them down to get a brighter more vintage P-90 tone. It'll always be a little more powerful and a more rounded tone than the regular Strat sound wil be but it will also always be a more lively and open tone than the Les Paul will be. Plus it's part of their advance range which is better quality but only costs something like £40 or so more than the regular Strat they make.

good call

they also have an HSS one too, so you have options.

Quote by Blompcube

But you might not necessarily want something too different to what you already have? basically, it depends on what you want, and only you can decide that.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
An HSS Strat is never going to feel nor sound like a Les Paul. Will it sound good? Sure. But, it is not the same. Buy the guitar the feels best in YOUR hand and sounds best to YOUR ears. Try every guitar you can get your grubby paws on and you just might find something totally different that attaches its self to you.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Well some other information that might help is that strat necks are longer than les paul necks, at least from Fender and Gibson.
Strat necks are also slimmer compared to les pauls.

Comfort is definitely an important factor as well ,:|
Quote by Bhaok
An HSS Strat is never going to feel nor sound like a Les Paul. Will it sound good? Sure. But, it is not the same. Buy the guitar the feels best in YOUR hand and sounds best to YOUR ears. Try every guitar you can get your grubby paws on and you just might find something totally different that attaches its self to you.

i think there is a certain amount of truth in the saying "you don't choose a guitar, a guitar chooses you"

They each define their own corner of the guitar universe.

Try playing each in the store for 20 minutes. Look at live performance videos of many artists you like, and see if you can see patterns.

Humbuckers give you fat tone and clean signal (they "buck" the hum). Make sure you are confident you want to trade away the benefits of humbuckers before you buy a guitar without them.

A good compromise is a strat-style guitar that has a humbucker in the bridge position.
How about the Michael Kelly Patriot range, LP shape with coil taps to give you single coil and humbucking sounds. I believe there are a couple of models that fall within your price range.
Quote by Blompcube
i thought he said in the OP he'd already tried them both.

woops forgot that...

tbh though he should know what he wants then...but both are good or his style and while they might be different guitars both do well in rock and blues
Strats are far more versatile than a Les Paul, and in my opinion have a much smoother, more comfortable neck. Also, a strat would be easier on your back. And if you decide to change your look or tone, you can replace pickguards, pickups, bridges, etc. with much more options on the strat. Some Strats these days are routed for a universal pickup configuration.

So in other words... STRAT
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Page 1 of 2