Page 1 of 2
SIGN-UP THREAD:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=27589889#post27589889

So I had an idea cross my mind the other day.

We should have a contest in which a specific song is given, and the contestants would cover that song in a completely different genre and style. Say, taking a Metallica song and covering it jazz style, ala Andy Rehfeldt, or another contestant covering it bluegrass style, ala Iron Horse, and we would use a combination of judges and voting threads to pick who covered the song in the most unique, recognizable, stylistically impressive and awesome way. Though I mentioned jazz and bluegrass, I'm not ruling out any electronic mixes of the song, as I know a lot of people here have a lot of talent in that department.

I think I would allow a little lee-way with reorganizing the songs and adding, subtracting and changing parts to fit the new style, but as long as it is recognizable and awesome, it would fly. Or if it's Sunn 0)))'s For Whom The Bell Tolls.

If there is enough interest, I'll be posting the thread for the official contest at the beginning of July. Keep your eye on this thread because I'll probably be posting a link here too.

Would anyone be interested? Also, what song do you guys have in mind for the contestants to cover? Or any ideas for guidelines and restrictions?
Last edited by RPGoof at Jul 5, 2011,
I would LOVE to enter, I'll be keeping my eye on this.
Begin again in the night, let's sway again tonight.
Your arm on my shoulder, your cheek against mine.
Where can we go, when will we find that, we know.
This seems like a cool idea. I don't really have the skill/recordingstuff/ability to enter, but I definitely be checking up on this thread.
As for a song to do, I'm thinking Crazy Train might be a versatile one to do if not a Metallica song (seeing as everyone under the sun has covered every Metallica song in every which way) but I'm definitely open to more suggestions. I want to go for something well known and easily messed with, like something that isn't exactly a dumb chord progression but something simple enough to be tweaked to any style.
Last edited by RPGoof at Jun 15, 2011,
I am interested in this, and think Crazy Train would be pretty interesting too.

EDIT: Another cool direction could be picking a pop song to do, although Lady Gaga has been metal-covered to death.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
Last edited by Mr_Jubby_Jubs at Jun 15, 2011,
I like the idea and I'll look into it. It'd probably be even cooler if someone could find the vocal part separated from the song and they could add it to their mix, whether it's Gaga or Lil Wayne or whoever. The only problem I could see with it is that everyone would want to do a metal cover and it could get pretty stale. Cool example, though it is a mashup http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfukZyVi9Hk

Another thing I was thinking about is that perhaps we could find whoever does electronic music well and let them know, as I've heard a good handful of metal songs remixed by dubstep artists and sounding pretty cool.

Also, I couldn't think of a descriptive enough title for this, anyone have any better ideas?
Last edited by RPGoof at Jun 15, 2011,
Sending PMs around people who've entered in the electronic albums might be a good start there. Personally, I tend to specialize in acoustic and folk covers.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
I'm down if I can get garageband installed again and my mic working.

I'll be doing a Ska/Reggae or Acoustic/Folk version of a heavier song (Cancer Bats, Every Time I Die, Norma Jean, Maylene, etc etc)
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
I'd love to take part in it. Is there gonna be on universal song for everyone?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

i'd love to, but i don't it would be a good idea to have one song for everyone.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
i'd love to, but i don't it would be a good idea to have one song for everyone.

Why not? I think it'd be easier to judge and would give a more even playing field, showing who can handle the challenge at hand better than others.
If it's a pop song, I predict infinite ironic death metal covers, even though covering a pop song in a death metal style is the SAME FUCKING JOKE no matter what the pop song is.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Jun 16, 2011,
I can only imagine the number of metal renditions of Lady Gaga songs that will be submitted...

(Though I'll admit I've been wanting to hear a cover of The Edge of Glory lately...)
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by RPGoof
Why not? I think it'd be easier to judge and would give a more even playing field, showing who can handle the challenge at hand better than others.

or do a Crooked Cover album and call it a day.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by mtshark
I can only imagine the number of metal renditions of Lady Gaga songs that will be submitted...

(Though I'll admit I've been wanting to hear a cover of The Edge of Glory lately...)

Check my mp3s >_>
...my mic and guitars are at my apartment in another state.

unless.... i can get my laptop mic working and i can do a hip-hop cover of something?
Go Veg.
Sounds cool. Honestly, I think that a folk or country song would be the best choice. Mostly cause that would prevent really cheesy singing and acoustic guitar covers of the song in a folk style and I think that's one of the genres that would provide a lot of ways for it to be covered. Either that or a metal song so we can get some people out of their comfort zones.

Also, I would advise choosing something that has a somewhat decent tab or chord chart up on UG with easy access so that people who aren't great at learning songs by ear or aren't used to the style (for instance, I find it a lot easier to figure out blues songs by ear than electronic pop even if they use the same chords or similar notes just because I'm not as used to the instrumentation) can participate easily as well.
Last edited by Warrior47 at Jun 16, 2011,
Quote by Mr_Jubby_Jubs
Sending PMs around people who've entered in the electronic albums might be a good start there. Personally, I tend to specialize in acoustic and folk covers.

Just post in the label thread and you'll get 4-5 contestants right away.
Yeah count me in.

What's the song that everyone's gonna be covering?

AEDIT: TS did you change your mind or something?
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Jun 16, 2011,
I'd do it depending on how long we'll be given since I don't get my recording interface until my birthday which is in July. But Andy Rehfeldt's covers are great, I especially like his Bossa Nova cover of The Trooper.

By the way will we have to completely rearrange the song or will it be alright to use a drum backing track if necessary and will we have to sing?
My name is Jack.
Quote by RPGoof

i think there would be more creativity if people picked their own song. i'm in either way though.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
interested

I like the idea of a stoner doom cover of anything
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Last edited by gilly_90 at Jun 16, 2011,
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Yeah count me in.

What's the song that everyone's gonna be covering?

AEDIT: TS did you change your mind or something?

It's a bit in the air right now whether there will be a specific song to cover or there will be a choice for whoever enters the competition.
Quote by Kill0Switch
I'd do it depending on how long we'll be given since I don't get my recording interface until my birthday which is in July. But Andy Rehfeldt's covers are great, I especially like his Bossa Nova cover of The Trooper.

By the way will we have to completely rearrange the song or will it be alright to use a drum backing track if necessary and will we have to sing?

I do plan on allowing quite a bit of time to create the entry, as I find it extremely frustrating when other contests allow three days for signup and a week for entry.

As far as singing is concerned, I think it would be the entrant's choice. If they want to sing in their genre-style thats cool, or if they want to replace the vocals with a guitar solo/melody that would be cool too, just remember it'll have to fit and sound good to make it far in the competition.
This would be awesome. I'll try.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

I would be interested. I was either thinking one of these Lady Gaga songs. They're quite different to what you think she'd do though. This one's jazzy almost. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fhrRfTFeug

And this one's just different. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5I41yArzGk

Or Rihanna's Only Girl In The World could be interesting.

You could make a rule saying no metal covers or something I guess, so people have to use their imagination.
I would love this dude. Legit.
Rojam's new and improved band!!!!

Listen a little bit, we DON'T suck!
I'd love this, I also think Crazy Train would be a really good song, cause its pretty simple and there aren't many instruments to map out. One thing though, for us electronic musicians, would you accept the idea of a remix as a cover?

Also, fuck the haters.
Last edited by ultimatedaver at Jun 19, 2011,
Quote by ultimatedaver
I'd love this, I also think Crazy Train would be a really good song, cause its pretty simple and there aren't many instruments to map out. One thing though, for us electronic musicians, would you accept the idea of a remix as a cover?

Also, fuck the haters.

Yeah thats exactly what I was thinking, electronic artists would have to be pretty heavy on sampling but thats alright for the genre
I wouldn't participate because I'm no good, but I think people should get to choose their own song.
There should be no more than three songs to choose from, otherwise people will pick out stuff that will be easy for whatever they're doing. The whole point of a competition is to see how people compare to each other.
Quote by ultimatedaver

Also, fuck the haters.

on that note, would mashups work? because i recently mashed up when i'm gone by eminem with patterns in the ivy by opeth...
Go Veg.
thanks for bumping this.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

I'm down for doing a metalcore version of "Friday".

And no, not some crappy youtube cover, but a legitemate actual full band cover.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Hey guys. I've drafted the main post of the contest thread with all the rules and such and I do plan on posting it within the next week or two, but I won't be doing it immediately, as I'm up to my elbows in responsibilities as I'm moving out on Friday and I have a lot to take care of.

I'm planning on a large submission window, as well as a very large sign up window to allow for as many entries as possible, and a lot of time to complete the entry for optimal quality.
I'm in, the song should be Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World" I want to do a punk version

<_<

>_>
you're a stone fox
Page 1 of 2