Would you say this is a easy song for beginner's besides the solo. My cusin is starting guitar an he decided to dual cover this. Also why does Kirk alway's wear that white band around his picking hand?
Last edited by Austin174 at Jun 15, 2011,
yeh i learned it in the first couple months of playing including the solo except i didnt play it at speed. and i think kirk wears that to absorb sweat from his palms and arms. i honestly dont hav an exact answer but thatd be my guess.
He probably uses that band, which I've never noticed, not being a particularly big fan og Metallica, for muting - if it really is 'round his hand.

Don't start with powerchords, please.. Start with A, B, C, D, E, F, G and the corresponding minors and 7th's. Guitarists who just learn powerchords and solo's are not musicians. Plus they're extremely frustrating, because they can't play anything.

But yeah... Enter Sandman's pretty easy, given he has rhythm to begin with.
Not sure why Kirk wears it, but I wear a sweat band round my picking hand to stop the guitar body rubbing against my wrist in certain positions.

As for the song, yeah, it's all pretty standard stuff. Once you've got your power chords and palm muting down, you're sorted. Fun to play too!
Well he is not playing lead I am he is going to be playing rthyum. Ok I was just wondering why he was wearing it lol. Also don't worry I already got him started or theory an scale's, so he is getting his basic's down as well. He just wanted to dual cover it with me.
Last edited by Austin174 at Jun 15, 2011,
Quote by cheesecakes4
He probably uses that band, which I've never noticed, not being a particularly big fan og Metallica, for muting - if it really is 'round his hand.

Don't start with powerchords, please.. Start with A, B, C, D, E, F, G and the corresponding minors and 7th's. Guitarists who just learn powerchords and solo's are not musicians. Plus they're extremely frustrating, because they can't play anything.

But yeah... Enter Sandman's pretty easy, given he has rhythm to begin with.

This. If your cousin is starting to play the instrument, make sure that he starts off playing right. 2 tone power chords should be the least of the beginner guitarist's worries. You see entirely too many rock and metal guitarists who can play blazing fast thrash metal riffs, but are flabbergasted when they're asked to play a basic C major open chord progression in a jam. Learning real chords and the principles of their construction is one of the best things that the beginning guitarist can do for his playing. What happens with an overwhelming amount of self-taught rock guitarists is that they'll learn solely power chords and riffs and solos from various songs but they'll have no idea what they're playing in a harmonic/theoretical context and eventually, if they get serious about their playing, they'll have to go back and learn basic open chords and barre chords.

The guitar's role in an overwhelming amount of popular music is to play chords, real chords, in other words, not power chords. Your cousin would be doing himself a great favor if he were to put his focus on developing his basic rhythm guitar skills and develop a solid understanding of the theory behind the rhythm before he goes on to worry about playing metal riffs. Plus, once he's comfortable with moving around real chord shapes, navigating the fretboard with power chords will be substantially easier than if he didn't do some proper rhythm training.
Well like I said in my last post. I have him working on theory an scales but could you give me some references as to were to show him or even books or something he can use to learn his rthyum.
Quote by Austin174
Also why does Kirk alway's wear that white band around his picking hand?

He claims it's because when he's touring he palm mutes hard and often enough that his hand would get cut or something if he didn't have it. Personally I think that's bullshit, other bands tour as much as Metallica and he's one of the only guitarists who does that.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by cheesecakes4
Guitarists who just learn powerchords and solo's are not musicians.

Nonsense.
No, it's not an easy song for a beginner - realistically someone needs a few months under their belt before they can expect to play it anywhere near competently.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Arby911
Nonsense.

i agree that that choice of words was a little harsh. they're musicians, by the definition of the word.

they barely qualify, but they qualify.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
i agree that that choice of words was a little harsh. they're musicians, by the definition of the word.

they barely qualify, but they qualify.

I understand, even agree to some extent. (I'd call the tribal native playing a complex rhythmic beat on a drum a musician, regardless of whether they had ever even heard of music theory...)

But it's bad form to start arbitrarily making up limits, lest we devolve into semantic chicanery.

We can have our own opinions, but not our own definitions. (At least not if we want to hold a rational conversation!)
Quote by Arby911
I understand, even agree to some extent. (I'd call the tribal native playing a complex rhythmic beat on a drum a musician, regardless of whether they had ever even heard of music theory...)

But it's bad form to start arbitrarily making up limits, lest we devolve into semantic chicanery.

We can have our own opinions, but not our own definitions. (At least not if we want to hold a rational conversation!)

i agree completely. it's nice to see people can still be civil in an argument.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
It depends on how you classify the term beginner. Beginners will have difficulty with fast parts. To the extent that the interior guitar content of Enter Sandman is not fast, you could develop an idea that it is within reach of a beginner.

However, you don't want to discourage the beginner with too much at once. This would probably be a good piece of music to learn small segments one at a time, over the course of time as the student develops, and is ready for each new part.
Last edited by joesix at Jun 16, 2011,
I would have said not to give Sandman a go until at least a few months, as someone else already said. For Whom The Bell Tolls is slightly easier.

Also I disagree with what some people are saying about guitarists with limited theory not being musicians. I can play many songs by Racer X, Satriani, Vai, Dream Theater etc, and I think my level of technique outweighs the fact that I am not very competant in theory. I understand intervals and harmonies and scales etc, but if you said play a C#maj7 I would not be able to. But I don't care. I know enough theory as I feel I need to, and I am competant enough in my playing to compensate for this.

/rant.
Quote by Random3
I would have said not to give Sandman a go until at least a few months, as someone else already said. For Whom The Bell Tolls is slightly easier.

Slightly? That song is just DADA DADA DAAAAAAAA! FWtBT has got to be one of the easiest guitar songs ever written.

Anyway, Enter Sandman isn't that hard, I learned the whole thing including the solo after about a month and a half of playing. Then again, I practiced for two hours every day. I would advise against teaching someone that song until they have at least basic knowledge of the most important chords and scales. Knowing the pentatonic boxes beforehand made learning the Enter Sandman solo a snap.
Ibanez Prestige RG20061
Peavey Envoy 110
Visual Sound GarageTone Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Classic Wah
Dunlop Jazz III picks all day errday
Quote by Austin174
Would you say this is a easy song for beginner's besides the solo. My cusin is starting guitar an he decided to dual cover this.
Most post Ride The Lightning Era Metallica is easy. As long as you have distortion pedals any of their songs can be played, so he should be able to play it relatively quickly. Plus, you could give him one of the MANY official Metallica songbooks that exist and failing even that, download a GuitarPro or PowerTab version from the archives here so he can walk through it.
Quote by Austin174
Also why does Kirk alway's wear that white band around his picking hand?
Maybe you should hunt him down and demand an answer from him.
Everybody Dies
Ignorance is NOT just what you DO NOT know but what you WILL NOT know

MY Soundcloud
Tears for toda la alegría que teníamos
Tears for todo el dolor
Las lágrimas de invierno que llevan dentro
Siempre gritar tu nombre
Estas lágrimas de invierno , voy a llorar por ti
Estas lágrimas de invierno , son solamente para usted
Last edited by AllJudasPriest at Jun 17, 2011,
Quote by Noslo13
Slightly? That song is just DADA DADA DAAAAAAAA! FWtBT has got to be one of the easiest guitar songs ever written.

Anyway, Enter Sandman isn't that hard, I learned the whole thing including the solo after about a month and a half of playing. Then again, I practiced for two hours every day. I would advise against teaching someone that song until they have at least basic knowledge of the most important chords and scales. Knowing the pentatonic boxes beforehand made learning the Enter Sandman solo a snap.

Theres a difference between being able to hit the right notes and being able to truly play the song. I highly doubt you were competant with that song at one and a half months.
Well like I said I have him learning theory and scale's. I had him learning those before he even got his guitar he would use mine. Yes For Whom The Bell Toll's is really easy or at least to me so maybe I'll see if he want's to learn it instead. I also have had him just trying to learn bit's and piece's of some easy song's as which some include 2 note power chord's.
Last edited by Austin174 at Jun 17, 2011,
How is his picking accuracy/speed? If he is a complete beginner he may have trouble with those two songs. If he is making good progress on them then that is great, as long as he is playing rythm. but they aren't two songs I would start a complete beginner with.

If you find it is just too hard for him, ask him if he'd like to cover something a little less intensive. Smoke on the Water would be a good jam for two guitarists, and it isn't intense at all.

But keep him going on the basic rythm principles and theory as well. There is nothing wrong with helping him learn fun songs like that, because that will keep him interested. However, make sure he understands what is going on in the songs as well.

I highly recommend getting him setup with Powertab, or even better Guitar Pro. They aren't a replacement for ear learning or help from a more experienced player, but they are a great way to practice since you can play along and slow things down.
ESP F-200 with Floyd Rose>

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Electro Harmonix Pulsar Tremolo
BBE Boosta Grande
Fender Pedal Tuner>

Peavey Valveking 1x12
Quote by AllJudasPriest
Most post Ride The Lightning Era Metallica is easy.

Yeah, I'm sure a beginner is going to have no trouble playing anything from "Master of Puppets" and "AJFA" because they're such slow, simple songs...
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Kirk uses the tape or whatever for palm muting because as he said he gets his hand cut up when doing excessive palm muting.

also Enter Sandman may not be too easy for your cousin, cause I remeber I had playing the song at first. Maybe teach him For Whom The Bell Tolls? Much easier song.