Page 1 of 2
Lulzsec, that merry band of hackers responsible for raids on Bethesda Softworks, the US Senate, Sony, terrorists, and rival hackers, has bagged maybe its biggest fish yet: the CIA.

Lulz Security announced via Twitter that they'd taken down CIA.gov (which is, for the record, still incapacitated) a little before 6PM EST. No details about their methodology (presumably DDOS?), or the motive behind/beyond the lulz. Which, really, who needs more reason than that to take on the intelligence wing of the US government?

At the rate Lulz is going, their conquests will be Napoleonic before the summer's out. And at this point, it's hard to see how they'll be stopped, short of a land war in Russia.

Update: Looks like there may have been a motive after all, albeit an unlikely one. Apparently LolzSec was goaded into the CIA attack by random Twitterer

Quadrapodacone, who repeatedly called LulzSec soft for attacking what he considered small-fry targets. And good news! He's still not impressed. So don't be surprised if CIA.gov turns into a hosting service for Mama Cass gifs before this whole thing runs its course.

Source
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

LulzSecurity has really come out of the internet's ass these last few weeks, with Sony, League of Legends, and now the CIA among whatever else they've done. Turning household and they've only just started.
Sure, they took it down. But they didn't infiltrate it.

Two very different things.
sim simma

who got the keys to my beema
so do we cheer.. or what ?
Quote by Thrill-house
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.

Quote by Dopemgs

P.S: You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome

Quote by PsiGuy60
PS. To Conor:
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.
[/desperateattempttogetsigged]
Many people believe they're pointing out problems in weak security systems, which is a good thing.

Who's targeting these systems? Al Qaeda? Nope.

They'll get caught, they'll get used by the government in exchange for a suspended sentence.

Bored of them now.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Quote by Tango616
Watching a fat kid dance around in a white shirt....wow...Al Gore was right...the glaciers really ARE shifting.

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
It's because Fassa got banned

RIP Dime
They're annoying. Especially because they have the world lulz in their name. We get it. You're the kind of guys who say 'lulz' and use memes in real life.
The reason they are doing this is because the US gov't is willing to respond to a cyber-attack from another country with force. They are trying to prove a point... that a cyber attack is not an act of war.
Quote by due 07
The reason they are doing this is because the US gov't is willing to respond to a cyber-attack from another country with force. They are trying to prove a point... that a cyber attack is not an act of war.
Yeah, Mulder and Scully got away with it plenty of times!

Oh wait... fiction.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
I don't find them annoying, they're amusing to me. I enjoy the fact that a band of teenagers and misfits can take down the website of a government agency.
Tell me who's that writin'...
Wait am I missing something? The website seems fine to me. Or did they fix it now?
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
It's back up now...

edit: ninja'd

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Wait am I missing something? The website seems fine to me. Or did they fix it now?

Same here... Are they that fast?

Edit: Ninjas.... EVERYWHERE!!!
So? It's not that hard to DDOS a site. Do you think the CIA is that worried about a bunch of basement dwellers taking down their public website? Sure, they aren't going to be pleased, but it isn't like their intelligence databases have been breached.
Quote by daytripper75
So? It's not that hard to DDOS a site. Do you think the CIA is that worried about a bunch of basement dwellers taking down their public website? Sure, they aren't going to be pleased, but it isn't like their intelligence databases have been breached.

But...this is Murca.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Hah, as if there's anything of importance on CIA.gov. Like the military sites, they're basically just recruiting and info portals; actual important intelligence is kept on infrastructures which are in no way accessible from outside sources.

This is indeed "lulz" worthy for the false sense of accomplishment and ability that it is assuredly engendering.
My God, it's full of stars!
As said before, it's just their public site. Nothing of any importance is going to be kept on there, and they pretty much stooped to anon's level and ddos attacked it.

I'm unimpressed.
linky

Apparently they did it because someone on Twitter wasn't impressed by their previous attacks.

EDIT:

Quote by SlayingDragons

I'm unimpressed.

Maybe it is you!!!
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
Last edited by Ostinattos at Jun 15, 2011,
I'm pretty sure they aren't doing this to hurt the CIA and get or destroy 'SOOPAR SECRET DATA'. They're getting a laugh out of this, and are doing it, as previously stated... for the lulz. The whole "TAKING DOWN THE CIA" is only due to this badly titled article.
Tell me who's that writin'...
It's just the CIA's website. I don't see why it would be that hard to take down, especially with a DDOS. It's not like the CIA would keep sensitive information on the same servers as the website they have up for the public.
Quote by due 07

Except that it pretty clearly is, depending on the type of cyber attack.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I guess I meant that it's not an act worthy of physically attacking another nation.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
You? Agree with the Government?!

Yeah, if they're targeting the NHS, it's no less than an act of war. Mind you, the conservatives are getting away with the same thing.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Quote by due 07
I guess I meant that it's not an act worthy of physically attacking another nation.

I don't think that very many things are worth attacking a nation over. I could however see a cyber attack that would be worthy, if you think that certain things are worthy.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by UraniYum
You? Agree with the Government?!

Yeah, if they're targeting the NHS, it's no less than an act of war. Mind you, the conservatives are getting away with the same thing.

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
Well.
Canada here i come.
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I don't think that very many things are worth attacking a nation over. I could however see a cyber attack that would be worthy, if you think that certain things are worthy.
I can honestly say that nothing comes to mind. I don't think there is any real reason for attacking another country.
Quote by due 07
I can honestly say that nothing comes to mind. I don't think there is any real reason for attacking another country.

Killing many people and then promising to kill many more people in the future.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Take down website - website goes back up. What the **** is the point.

Now lets see them destroy the CIA HQ building, then I will be impressed.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
Quote by daytripper75

But they would never miss an opportunity to monger some fear.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
There's a huge difference between DDoS-ing a domain and actually getting into the CIA's databases...
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
Page 1 of 2