I've been getting into black metal in an effort to expand my horizons. Immortal is one band that has gained my interest, so I was wondering what song/album really defines their sound. The master of puppets of immortal, if you will.
Quote by progbass
I heard Colors was the best out of their recent work

This is just racist, frogbassoon.
Personally, first two are best. Pure Holocaust is more distinctly original, start there.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
I saw that pure holocaust was one of the best black metal albums on some site.
Quote by Stranglehold
That's it, you're all banned.

Quote by stevebomb
If I wanted to listen to something slow, I'd play some hippie music.
Do they have an album with the word Frost in the title?

Cuz it's probably that one.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ETHANEVIL
I saw that pure holocaust was one of the best black metal albums on some site.

If only there was some site that compiled a list of A quality albums and wrote about them. If that was the case, people could link to it in their signatures!

I would call it Congregation of Dim Library of Metal...or something similar.
HESSIAN HAREM
I thought they did. Kinda wierd they don't.
Quote by Stranglehold

Quote by stevebomb
I am shocked, I thought it was requirement as a black metal band to have one Frost related album title.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
I know they have a song called somethin, and frostbitten kingdoms I just remembered.
Quote by Stranglehold

Quote by stevebomb
Quote by ChemicalFire
I am shocked, I thought it was requirement as a black metal band to have one Frost related album title.

Seeing as how neither Burzum, Mayhem, Immortal nor Darkthrone have that, and those being the bands that everyone is trying to emulate nowadays.. You are clearly wrong
Quote by ChemicalFire

Enslaved's second album is "Frost". I wouldn't advise listening to it though. Debut and Hordanes Land is all you need. Besides that, I can't recall any frosty album titles at the moment.
HESSIAN HAREM
Quote by destroy_techno
Seeing as how neither Burzum, Mayhem, Immortal nor Darkthrone have that, and those being the bands that everyone is trying to emulate nowadays.. You are clearly wrong

Ever think that I wasn't being serious in a thread which needn't exist due to the existence of a Rec Thread, an Immortal thread AND a Black Metal thread?

Quote by DisarmGoliath
ever think... shush

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by progbass
Enslaved's second album is "Frost". I wouldn't advise listening to it though. Debut and Hordanes Land is all you need. Besides that, I can't recall any frosty album titles at the moment.

wut
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
^I'm gonna back you up here Rome, wut? I'm quite fond of At The Heart of Winter by Immortal, but I know most will disagree with me.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Frost is nowhere near as cohesive or showcased a development of ideas than VV. It had good parts, don't get me wrong, but It also had bad habits present that eventually plagued the latter part or their career, like the recent abortion we got a few months ago.

It's not bad all the way through, but time is better spent with VV / HL

Progedit - last I knew, most enjoyed Heart of Winter, myself included. It's on the rec thread list.
HESSIAN HAREM
Last edited by progbass at Jun 15, 2011,
Right Proggy, but the thread says quintessential, and most people will stick to Pure Holocaust or Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism as the only Immortal albums you need to listen to; I happen to like to AT The Heart of Winter equally as it was one of my first metal albums. I'm quite fond of Mardraum actually, but that may just be me.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism/At the Heart of Winter are a tossup for their best, but they haven't put out a bad album.
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
Last edited by Helloween4Ever at Jun 15, 2011,
Quote by progbass
If only there was some site that compiled a list of A quality albums and wrote about them. If that was the case, people could link to it in their signatures!

I would call it Congregation of Dim Library of Metal...or something similar.

Dim does seems appropriate.
Quote by jibran
Dim does seems appropriate.

Do you ever have anything useful to add or do you just enjoy being useless?

@virtuoso - well, I can never say dfm would be a standout, its too derivative of pre BFD era Bathory to really stand out as a quintessential album. Pure Holocaust is more like Immortal coming into their own. At the Heart of Winter is similar - great album, but not a good representation of the sound they are known for. If I had to choose a second album, It would be Battles In the North
HESSIAN HAREM
Last edited by progbass at Jun 15, 2011,
Quote by progbass
Do you ever have anything useful to add or do you just enjoy being useless?

Depends on how I'm feeling. No reason to get upset sweetie.
Just would like to see some relevance once in a while. Would you care to weigh In on the quintessential immortal record?
HESSIAN HAREM
Quote by progbass
Just would like to see some relevance once in a while. Would you care to weigh In on the quintessential immortal record?

I personally find myself listening to DFM than the others, but still wouldn't say it's quintessential based on my own taste, PH seems to take the cake for a 'wider' group of people.
Last edited by jibran at Jun 15, 2011,