Recently I've been getting into a lot of prog/djent stuff and my 6 string is kind of limiting. Is there any possible way to change a 6 s. to a 7 s.? Price estimate? If it is possible I'm going to compare prices with just buying one. Thanks!
you're a stone fox
Unless they make special bridges and nuts, no. Buy a 7 stringed guitar if you want a 7 stringed guitar.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
You'd have to re-route the neck joint to accommodate the neck, buy a new neck, buy a new bridge, and buy new pickups, then have them all fitted and installed.

Just buy a new one.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
You'd have to re-route the neck joint to accommodate the neck, buy a new neck, buy a new bridge, and buy new pickups, then have them all fitted and installed.

Just buy a new one.

Oh yeah, forgot about the pickups. Yeah, fudge that idea. Way too much work for a youngling.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
Do you mean changing a 6 string guitar into a 7 string?? As in drilling and possibly moving all the tuning pegs so that the headstock can incorporate an extra string? As in replacing the bridge?

I've never even heard of such a thing. Only way I can see this being feasible would be to replace the neck with a 7 string one.. And even that's just strange to me. Wouldn't it just be cheaper to buy a 7 string guitar??
Quote by J Mud
adjust the truss rod and tune to BEADGB

I was thinking of doing this to my Schecter Omen 6. Would the 7th string fit in the nut, though? And, if I tune to A "standard", will it allow me to avoid adjusting the truss rod? I assume the tension would be slightly lower that way... I may be totally wrong, also.
Ibanez JEM 555 > Line 6 POD XT Live > Behringer MS16 Monitor Speakers

"Asked us if we were happy, we said we didn't know...
Took us by the hands and up we go..."

Italians do it better.
I've rarely seen it done, and only on sixes with very wide fretboards already. Most 6s have no room. You'd need a new nut, and a new bridge if your neck was wide enough. And you'd need to move the bridge for the new center line. And somewhere to put the tuner. Then you'd likely have to adjust the truss rod.

If you arent comfortable slotting a nut on your own or routing on your own or working with the neck quite a bit you won't want to do this.

EDIT: And where I've seen it done the strings still ended up much closer together then what Id want to play on.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
warmoth sells replacement necks for fender style guitars but you can get an ibanez 7321 for like 200 bucks.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by rion87
I was thinking of doing this to my Schecter Omen 6. Would the 7th string fit in the nut, though? And, if I tune to A "standard", will it allow me to avoid adjusting the truss rod? I assume the tension would be slightly lower that way... I may be totally wrong, also.

there is no 7th string
Just browse ebay and buy a washburn wg587 for like 190 bucks. It's cheaper in the long run, and if its in good condition you got yourself a workhorse.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by xadioriderx
there is no 7th string

What I really meant is, can't you just:

-buy a set for a 7 string guitar;
-throw away the high E string (or keep it for another guitar);
-mount the remaining 6 strings (B, E, A, D, G, B) on a regular guitar;
-tune everything one step (or whatever) DOWN, to avoid excessive tension on the neck???

what did you mean with "there is no 7th string"?

Italians do it better.
Quote by rion87
What I really meant is, can't you just:

-buy a set for a 7 string guitar;
-throw away the high E string (or keep it for another guitar);
-mount the remaining 6 strings (B, E, A, D, G, B) on a regular guitar;
-tune everything one step (or whatever) DOWN, to avoid excessive tension on the neck???

what did you mean with "there is no 7th string"?

i guess the way i took your comment was "if i tune to BEADGB, will the 7th string fit?" thats only 6 strings but i take it youre asking if the new B string (7th string) will fit?
you would probably have to do some nut work
we get asked this all the time. The answer is it's more economical to simply buy a 7 string with the amount of work you'd have to do. You can get a new 7 string for less than £150 these days.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
^ I see! anyone ever done this before? this could be relevant for TS...

EDIT too slow, I was referring to xadioriderx's post. I guess it would make sense to buy a 7 string, the thing is, I prefer not to have a 7string if I can't afford a decent one, at the moment.

At some point down the line I'll definitely consider a nice Prestige or something, but right now, I just wanted to experiment, that's all!

Italians do it better.
Last edited by rion87 at Jun 16, 2011,