So I've been playing mostly chords and little thrash riffs but i need help expanding to solos. I've learned how to play a few simple ones but I'm hoping someone can maybe post simple but awesome solos to help me out.
And i don't mean simple like your used to playin Becker and Malmsteen simple. Any beginner/intermediate solos will be fine. I just need somethin to mess around with to get my spirits up.
Any original pieces and advice would be helpful as well. Thanks!
The solo in DATE RAPE!!! Or Badfish (sublime version)
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Amon Amrath: Under the Northern Star and And Soon the World will Cease to Be.
Have you learned every fret the fret-board until u know them like the back of your hand? How well do you know your scales? Can you play every Major/minor/harmonic&melodic minor scale on the guitar in 2 or 3+Octave form quickly without giving it much thought? Have you learned the 5 Major/minor Pentatonic shapes that are possible for any given tonal center? Have you spent time compiling a library of short licks/musical ideas that you know how to transpose/play in any key? (that helps greatly in creating clean and organized phrasing in soloing/improv) How much time have you spent training your ears to hear intervals? Can you name any harmonic or melodic interval just by hearing it? Have you spent any time transposing non-guitar music to the guitar? If you have neglected any of these pieces of the puzzle, then I find it unsurprising that you cannot solo up to your expectations yet. Every hour that you spend working on any of these things will yield you a hundred times the fruit that spending an hour learning random solo cover tabs would. Hope this helps.
~Nicholas Jacquet
^ Have you?

TS wants to learn some basic solos to get himself started. Encourage him, dont railroad him into years of conservatory-esque study. Its good to know all the things you have mentioned, but gee.... its like someone asked you for their first driving lesson, and you told them that they have to achieve everything required of a Nascar driver, y'know? I'm sure you're coming from a good place, but take TS request in the context of where his playing is at is all I'm saying.

Off the top of my head:
Paranoid, Black Sabbath
Nothing Else Matters as mentioned above
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Ruin by LOG?
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

"Ace of Spades" by Motorhead is a good one.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
You Shook Me All Night Long - AC/DC - one of the easiest and 'comfortable' solo's you'll ever hear/learn.
Lay down- Priestess
Talk dirty to me- Poison.

Both easy and fun! Enjoy yourself man, thats what its all about.
Seize the Day by Avenged Sevenfold.
Until the End by Avenged Sevenfold.
Gunslinger by Avenged Sevenfold.
Chapter Four by Avenged Sevenfold.
Clairvoyant Disease
Critical Acclaim

I listen to a lot of Avenged Sevenfold :c
Last edited by vayne92 at Jun 16, 2011,
I would recommend Strange Brew by Cream, pretty easy, got some nice bends too. Not surprising considering it was copied off an Albert King song.
I Remember You by Skid Row has an awesome solo thats easy-ish. It gets a little fast in the middle but it's nothing super hard.
The Middle by Jimmy Eat World's a lovely little solo. It's challenging, but not too difficult, just requires a little work. And it's fun as hell to play once you get the hang of it. The beginning of it is hardest, it gets easier from there
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Quote by 91RG350
^ Have you?

TS wants to learn some basic solos to get himself started. Encourage him, dont railroad him into years of conservatory-esque study. Its good to know all the things you have mentioned, but gee.... its like someone asked you for their first driving lesson, and you told them that they have to achieve everything required of a Nascar driver, y'know? I'm sure you're coming from a good place, but take TS request in the context of where his playing is at is all I'm saying.

Off the top of my head:
Paranoid, Black Sabbath
Nothing Else Matters as mentioned above

Dude if he just did what the guy said that you're arguing against, he'd have all the abilities to pick out any solo out of thin air and make his own solos/improvise.

I would do it exactly how that guy said if I had to do guitar over again. When I just learned random songs, I didn't have the foundation and it ****ed me up the asshole (always sounded shit).
^

I agree that its good to know...I stated that... re-read the text you quoted me on.

TS was asking for beginner/intermediate solos to begin his journey.
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Quote by DiabolusMusica5
Have you learned every fret the fret-board until u know them like the back of your hand? How well do you know your scales? Can you play every Major/minor/harmonic&melodic minor scale on the guitar in 2 or 3+Octave form quickly without giving it much thought? Have you learned the 5 Major/minor Pentatonic shapes that are possible for any given tonal center? Have you spent time compiling a library of short licks/musical ideas that you know how to transpose/play in any key? (that helps greatly in creating clean and organized phrasing in soloing/improv) How much time have you spent training your ears to hear intervals? Can you name any harmonic or melodic interval just by hearing it? Have you spent any time transposing non-guitar music to the guitar? If you have neglected any of these pieces of the puzzle, then I find it unsurprising that you cannot solo up to your expectations yet. Every hour that you spend working on any of these things will yield you a hundred times the fruit that spending an hour learning random solo cover tabs would. Hope this helps.
~Nicholas Jacquet

I appreciate this post as this is what I need to learn. Ive learned basic song solos, and am pretty efficient in creating my own solos with random keys, but this seems to be the next step. Now how do I even start that???
Well, I'd suggest you start with the Crusades articles on UG or the theory vids I did for youtube.

Basically, start learning how to find notes on the fretboard, and how they relate to one another. When you do that, learning scales and chords is much easier, and so does transposition, interval naming, playing non-guitar music...

Also, the smells like teen spirit solo isn't too hard.
+1 for the Crusades. There's a lot of info in there that will help ye.

Don't be shy.
Metallica- Nothing Else Matters
Black Sabbath- Iron Man
Black Sabbath- Paranoid
Nirvana- Smells Like Teen Spirit
Iron Maiden- Wasting Love
Deep Purple- Smoke On The Water
Guns N' Roses- November Rain

......... This should do for now, want more just PM me.
Quote by guitar/bass95
Michaels Amott's solos from Arch Enemy. Cool and pretty easy.

Except that first solo in Nemesis.

i would definitely look at some more recent Metallica. i wouldnt try for Master of Puppets or And Justice for All but the Black Album, St. Anger, Death Magnetic, Load, and Reload could help with learning some thrashier solos
Stuff that I bought:

Washburn WM24V
Raven RG100 Amplifier
Zoom G1X Multi-Effects Pedal

Quote by jsync
how do you define a guitar for a female?
how about one that whines and has trouble with feedback?
^ Have you?

Well man, I am not 100% there, but I am well on my way, & I have every moment from now until the day I die to pursue these things until either I know them all, die, or go insane. I happily offer 10 hours of every day of my life to my own pursuit of those things that I listed earlier in the thread. But I doubt a troll such as yourself as well as the countless others on this site would be able to understand someone caring about something that much.

-Nicholas Jacquet
"I appreciate this post as this is what I need to learn. Ive learned basic song solos, and am pretty efficient in creating my own solos with random keys, but this seems to be the next step. Now how do I even start that???"

1.)One day @ a time man, here is a totally free website that has intevral/chord/scale ear trainers, a learn the fretboard trainer. http://classic.musictheory.net/

2.) Invest in some sight-reading books, I particularly recommend the William Leavitt series.

3.) Immerse yourself 100% during the time that you decide to offer to your pursuit of music.

4.) On a regular basis write out a self-reflection list ordering your biggest weaknesses from biggest to smallest/ spend 99%-100% of your practice time focusing on those things that you are the worst @...Thats how Petrucci got really good, he focused on & isolated the things he was worst @ until they became the things he is best at.

5.) For the Major/Minor Scales, there is no better book than the 6-pager by Andres Segovia "Diatonic Major and Melodic Minor Scales"-its like 5$ on Amazon but knowing what I know now, I would have been willing to pay 1000$+ for what this book has done for me.

I hope you find these suggestions helpful
-Nicholas Jacquet
Last edited by DiabolusMusica5 at Jun 20, 2011,
One of the first solos I learnt which was slightly more advanced was Black Dog by Led Zep. Its not too difficult to learn, but tricky enough to keep the interest

If thats too difficult a really easy one would be Sunshine of your Love by Cream (Easy but still sounds great)

Maybe Guns n Roses Sweet Child O Mine too
Last edited by andyguitar85 at Jun 20, 2011,