I'm a rhythm guitarist in a band. The lead guitarist and I write all of the music (as our bassist and drummer are temporary) and we have nice musical chemistry.

We began with all of the generic progressions and riffs, but we're starting to find our sound and it's a little strange. He will generally write a progression, then I'll write something over it in a different key (I dunno if that's the right way to put it), holding it together with harmonizing notes within the different chords.

For example, here's a simplified version of a recent part we wrote:

Guitar 1:

eb|----------------------------------|
Bb|------7---12---12--------------|
Gb|-9---7---12---11--------------|
Db|----------------------------------|
Ab|-7---5---10---9----------------|
Eb|----------------------------------|

Guitar 2:

eb|-7---9-----2---2----------------|
Bb|-8---10---3---2----------------|
Gb|-9---11---4---2----------------|
Ab|----------------------------------|

As you can see, they aren't exactly written in-key with each other, but they have harmonizing notes within the chords which make it sound "right" (though admittedly not a perfect harmony by any means.)

In my years of covering rock/grunge/acoustic songs, I've never really come across harmonies along the lines of what we write, so I'm just curious if this sort of "harmony" is typically used, and if so, in what genres/bands?
Quote by Winter Sky
I'm a rhythm guitarist in a band. The lead guitarist and I write all of the music (as our bassist and drummer are temporary) and we have nice musical chemistry.

We began with all of the generic progressions and riffs, but we're starting to find our sound and it's a little strange. He will generally write a progression, then I'll write something over it in a different key (I dunno if that's the right way to put it), holding it together with harmonizing notes within the different chords.

For example, here's a simplified version of a recent part we wrote:

Guitar 1:

eb|----------------------------------|
Bb|------7---12---12--------------|
Gb|-9---7---12---11--------------|
Ab|-7---5---10---9----------------|

Guitar 2:

eb|-7---9-----2---2----------------|
Bb|-8---10---3---2----------------|
Gb|-9---11---4---2----------------|
Ab|----------------------------------|

As you can see, they aren't exactly written in-key with each other, but they have harmonizing notes within the chords which make it sound "right" (though admittedly not a perfect harmony by any means.)

In my years of covering rock/grunge/acoustic songs, I've never really come across harmonies along the lines of what we write, so I'm just curious if this sort of "harmony" is typically used, and if so, in what genres/bands?

Not really all that unique if you know chords.

Assuming your tuning is in Eb...

Your first chord is Eb minor

Second one is Db Major 7th

3rd is Gb Major 7th

Last one is F minor

Best,

Sean
Quote by Sean0913
Not really all that unique if you know chords.

Assuming your tuning is in Eb...

Your first chord is Eb minor

Second one is Db Major 7th

3rd is Gb Major 7th

Last one is F minor

Best,

Sean

Exactly what I was thinking....let me guess, an i - VII7 - IIImaj7 - ii in Eb minor?

In fact all your chords are in key with each other.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I'm a bit new with chords and whatnot, so I hadn't realised they were in the same key. I had looked the chords up online, and they didn't appear to match up right, so I assumed they weren't in-key with each other.

Thanks for the correction, guys.
Quote by Winter Sky
I'm a bit new with chords and whatnot, so I hadn't realised they were in the same key. I had looked the chords up online, and they didn't appear to match up right, so I assumed they weren't in-key with each other.

Usually when something feels like it works, there's a reason for it. In your case you intuitively found it by ear. As Alan demonstrated, he could see the whole picture. That's basically what Theory allows for, you see the thing as a whole, and you know all kinds of ways to play with it.over it, or from it.

Best,

Sean
Quote by Winter Sky

No worries. You can't find the shapes for every chord online, it's far more useful to learn the notes of each chord and go from there. Once you learn the notes, you'll notice that the notes played on one guitar are actually the same notes played on the other guitar.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud