So recently me and my bandmate are starting to build a studio. I was wondering, would putting carpet on the walls to reduce sound work or just be a waste of time?
If it's thick fuzzy carpet it'll help a little. If it's thin then it won't make much of a difference.
Check out my band Disturbed
Alright thanks, and do you think it would be good for the acoustics for recording drums?
I'm with Caleb. In fact... I'm kinda let down.

Thick carpet on the walls will soften the sound of the room quite a bit. This may not be the effect that you're looking for if you're into music that relies on the mids and treble. Hell.. it even depends on the amps and mics you're using.

Final Answer... hell with it, put some shag on the walls.
Quote by Vikingx
I'm with Caleb. In fact... I'm kinda let down.

Thick carpet on the walls will soften the sound of the room quite a bit. This may not be the effect that you're looking for if you're into music that relies on the mids and treble. Hell.. it even depends on the amps and mics you're using.

Final Answer... hell with it, put some shag on the walls.

If it does that...

then what you need is a new amp.
Super
Old
Cats
Are
Surprising

Many profile views... few friends...
Be sure to paint the shag with pickup truck bedliner paint.

JK.

Another trick is to hand quilted movers pads. The stuff Lowes sells even has a picture of that use on the label. A place we just did some recording at has something like that in the corners, and it's attached to the wall with the same type of clips you'd find on a clipboard--so you can take it off easily to change the room dynamics.

If you are going to buy quilted pads, get it from a U-Haul center for $3-4 cheaper ($14 for 72 x 80).

Also if you want accoustic-grade (density) egg-crate foam, these folks have a good price ($36 for 72 x 80) at 1 1/2" thick. A little more for 2 1/2" thick or colors other than charcoal, though... http://www.foambymail.com/

I just got pads from U-Haul and 1 1/2" foam from those guys for a vocal booth. Using a mattress topper from Overstock.com for the ceiling.

Lucked out and got a lexan remnant for the window for $5. The original sheet would have been almost $70, but I only needed about 2/3 of it. It was exactly twice the size of my pre-cut window, so all we had to do was cut it in half, put molding between the panes and now we have double-glazing.

Good luck and have fun.
Thanks for the help/advice guys. I will definently talk it over with my bandmate and have our studio done soon.