Honestly, I believe some professors don't see the effort a student puts into the course they take. Sure if the class is big and you don't know the student, but when you look at their work/test scores and it improves and they've done the assignments to the best of the ability. Should they not deserve the jump up to the next grade if it's a + borderline grade? Thoughts?
LOL
Yes, especially A+
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
no
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
No. A grade is a reflection of a student's understanding of the course material. Effort shouldn't matter past 3rd grade.
e-single
The whole +/- system is really unnecessary. It doesn't matter for your GPA or anything, it's just a reason for Asian parents to disown their kid who gets a minus on their A.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by rgrockr
The whole +/- system is really unnecessary. It doesn't matter for your GPA or anything, it's just a reason for Asian parents to disown their kid who gets a minus on their A.

This is what I mean, if a student gets a B+, they are still in the B grade range, why have it? To show they were close to an A.
P.S. My University has this and it counts towards GPA and if you get a C- on a course that is part of your major, you must retake it.
LOL
Quote by SiKh22
This is what I mean, if a student gets a B+, they are still in the B grade range, why have it? To show they were close to an A.
P.S. My University has thing and it counts towards GPA and if you get a C- on a course that is part of your major, you must retake it.

They exist to show whether it's a high B or a low B.
Quote by Horizontal
They exist to show whether it's a high B or a low B.

Many business professor I know, have on the syllabus that their are no +/- on the course. But many still bump a student near 78% to a B or 89% to A. It's an actual A- but they give you a solid A.
LOL
Don't you kids in America have a point basis for attributing marks? In Australia the letter-grade system is different and what letter you get depends on your numerical marks, and the marks you get depend on your ability to address the question or complete the work. Nobody is going to hold your hand because you made an effort. You only deserve a grade in proportion to your understanding of and ability to fulfil the course work no matter how much effort you put in.

Of course some course coordinators are better than others at fairly, accurately and impartially marking a large group of students...
Quote by SiKh22
Honestly, I believe some professors don't see the effort a student puts into the course they take. Sure if the class is big and you don't know the student, but when you look at their work/test scores and it improves and they've done the assignments to the best of the ability. Should they not deserve the jump up to the next grade if it's a + borderline grade? Thoughts?

No. If you don't do good enough to get a higher mark you know where you need to improve. Just giving people a higher mark indicates that they're better than they actually are, and god knows there's enough of that ego-inflating garbage around today.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
my university doesn't have a +/- system. i really wish it did. my GPA would benefit so much from a B+/3.3 than a B/3.0
Go Veg.
When I'm not in school: No, you earn what you earn, nothing more.

When I'm in school: FUCK YEAR
Quote by SiKh22

Effort shouldn't matter in high school. It doesn't happen in their future 9-to-5 either.
Imagine the following conversation with your boss: "Yeah, since you came into our company as a sales representative, our sales have dropped considerably. We have evidence that that is because you're terrible at your job. I'm giving you a raise because you're trying really hard, though."
See how unlikely that is? That's why high school and college, generally speaking, don't reward you for effort alone.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.