So, I got a new tube amp, first one I've had, so I'm a bit of a noob... It's a carvin X112b for anyone who cares. but anyways, here's the dilemma:
So the original owner took 2 power tubes out to run it at 50 watts, and said to have the ohms switched to 16 instead of 8. However, some people have said that I should run it on 4, and not 8.
What is the right ohm setting for using half the tubes with an 8 ohm speaker? 4, or 16?
Thanks.
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
I thought it was half as well, so as you said it would be 4 ohms. I don't know for sure though, been meaning to email my tech so I can put my 5150 through a smaller cab without so much speaker distortion.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thank yoouuuuu cathbard!
And chris.
(PM Me.)
Wait... did you check if the amp can accept running on 2 tubes? I thought only certain amps could do that.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I got it running in two tubes... And everyone on the carvin forum said it was a common thing. And it's not overheating or anything.
(PM Me.)
I thought most amps could do this? Maybe not a Class A amp...? Not that they are high wattage anyway though.

My Legacy has a 50W switch on it FWIW.. but it still says "2 Tubes 50W" so they would still have to be pulled. Not sure if the switch does anything with the ohm selector though...