What's up guys,

lately I've been saving up money to buy a new interface+Pro Tools 9 software. I have an intermediate knowledge of recording software so my plan was just to go straight to Pro Tools 9 instead of starting with LE. After looking at my local music shop and Sweetwater/Musiciansfriend, I've found packages that sell Pro Tools 9 with an Mbox Mini together for $630.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=H73295

But then I did some more research, and found that I could just buy Pro Tools 9 on it's own (And, with a student discount to boot - I'm in school right now) for just $295:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PT9STU/

Which, would, presumably leave me $330 to buy an audio interface (possibly even nicer than an Mbox Mini). But then I realized sweetwater also has a student discount on the Pro Tools 9 crossgrade - it's only $125. So, what I'm getting at here is, could I technically buy an Mbox Mini recording package with LE and other recording goodies, and just buy a $125 student discount crossgrade to save myself some money on equipment?

For example...

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Avid-ProTools-Mbox-3Mini-Package?sku=431054

1) If I bought this package could I use the student discount Pro Tools 9 crossgrade from Sweetwater to save some money? (It would otherwise cost $630 for just Pro Tools 9 and an Mbox, without the monitors and a condenser mic)
2)Would the crossgrade upgrade my Pro Tools LE to Pro Tools 9 Full version or just Pro Tools 9 LE? I'd prefer to have access to the full version of Pro Tools 9

Thanks in advance guys...just trying to figure out my potential savings here. And to hear some advice from people who have made the same decision I'm about to make. Cheers!!
I would just buy Pro Tools, and then a good interface. Since Pro Tools 9 allows you to use any interface, you can get something much better than an M-Box mini.

Ahh, I didn't see that mini was 3rd gen, that's pretty decent, I guesss it depends on if you plan to record more than 1 mic at a time.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Last edited by Shirate at Jun 16, 2011,
Focusrite sells better recording interfaces with more mic preamps, for just about the same price as an Mbox.
I can only listen to so many breakdowns and "spoken word" vocals before I wanna puke.

I find Jennette McCurdy attractive, but Elizabeth Gillies and Debby Ryan much more so.

That's enough, Djent people. We get it.
The upgrade to 9 (especially academic "version") is totally worth it. I did it. Though I use reaper now for everything....because PT is a freakin hog....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
The one thing I found ironic about Pro Tools is that its one of the best DAWs out there yet the interfaces you get with LE are just shit

Anyways, go straight to 9. Pick up a solid interface by another brand.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
The one thing I found ironic about Pro Tools is that its one of the best DAWs out there yet the interfaces you get with LE are just shit

Anyways, go straight to 9. Pick up a solid interface by another brand.

To be honest LE has put me off from even really trying a Pro Tools full version. All I remember is...everything going good...ERROR!....reload program...good half hour...ERROR! That was the day I went to Cubase 4 LE temporarily...until I found a DAW i liked a lot better....
Quote by FireHawk
To be honest LE has put me off from even really trying a Pro Tools full version. All I remember is...everything going good...ERROR!....reload program...good half hour...ERROR! That was the day I went to Cubase 4 LE temporarily...until I found a DAW i liked a lot better....

I never had problems with LE. The only times I did were when I had too much loaded into ram or was trying to run it on win 7 (which PT8 and Win 7 don't play nicely). Hell, it worked flawlessly on Vista
Quote by lockwolf
I never had problems with LE. The only times I did were when I had too much loaded into ram or was trying to run it on win 7 (which PT8 and Win 7 don't play nicely). Hell, it worked flawlessly on Vista

At the time I was on a pretty shit computer and vista had just come out...Pt7? In fact I think it was an M-Powered Pro Tools LE...
I agree with lockwolf, just get PT9 and a good interface. The Mboxes aren't really that good.

How many inputs do you need? If its only 1 or 2, I'd suggest getting an Apogee One or Duet. They're a little pricy, but they are well worth it, Apogee A/D converters are some of the best you can get.
Quote by littlephil
How many inputs do you need? If its only 1 or 2, I'd suggest getting an Apogee One or Duet. They're a little pricy, but they are well worth it, Apogee A/D converters are some of the best you can get.

Apogee interfaces are Mac Only. Though if you do have a mac, good stuff.

Focusrite if you've got PC
Quote by lockwolf
Apogee interfaces are Mac Only. Though if you do have a mac, good stuff.

Focusrite if you've got PC

Oh yeah, I forgot they're Mac only
Quote by Mzyz
how is the saffire 6?

One of the best budget interfaces out there. If you can, step up and get the Scarlet instead but either way, great interface